Canada’s Suicidal Prayer

brutally honest

“As medically assisted suicide becomes widely prevalent in Canada, available to an expanding list of persons suffering from physical or mental ailment, a sad prayer approving of what Canada calls “medical assistance in dying” from the United Church of Canada has appeared, written by UCC cleric David Sparks and Sheila Noyes, former co-president of Dying with Dignity Canada …”

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I understand where you are coming from and I believe a law allowing it to be a slippery slope but if I am trapped in a burning automobile with no hope of escape I expect my hand will reach into my pocket for some help.

Big7

The Oracle
We can only pray that we are not ever put in that position.

dslc6487

Life has it's joys and triumphs, but it also has its heart breaks and tribulations. With that being said, there are some things worse than death.
My wife was diagnosed with ALS in May of 2019. She was a fabulous musician and did performances all over Georgia. She played the following instruments: floor harp, dulcimer, auto harp, guitar and piano. I have seen her go from a master musician to a 140 baby, not being able to do anything. I am her primary caregiver. By far the worst journey that either of us has ever been on. Will not be long before she will be on a feeding tube and a ventilator. I am 76 and she is 66. We have 2 wonderful professional daughters and 6 grandchildren. We have been married for 45 years.
I have seen her go through many physical changes and she has quite a few more to go through with this disease. I do not want her to have to endure these changes. Now, she can barely talk. I do not want to see her go through these changes. I do not want my daughters to see her go through these changes, and, I certainly do not want my grandchildren to see her go through these horrible changes. Grandchildren are ages 4-13. I have one grandson, age 10 that is afraid of her because she cannot speak too well.
I love her dearly and have so for 45 years, however, if we had the choice we had rather for her to be able to make the choice, to continue as she is with many more devastating changes to come, or, presently to be able to make the decision to go out in peace. She is a woman of great faith and knows where she is going.
I know a lot of people will not agree with me, and that is fine and your decision. However, unless you have lived with someone that has loved you and you have loved them beyond measure, you cannot fathom living with ALS, which the American Medical Association classifies as the worst possible medical condition that anyone can be diagnosed with. There is no treatment, no drug, no pill, no infusion. You get ALS, live for so long, and then you die. Would not wish it on my worst enemy.........but would like for her to be able to make the decision based in her desires.......

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I am so sorry to hear of your situation. I can't even imagine what a family must go through in dealing with that disease. The scene I outlined above would at least end quickly with or without help.

Big7

The Oracle
Life has it's joys and triumphs, but it also has its heart breaks and tribulations. With that being said, there are some things worse than death.
My wife was diagnosed with ALS in May of 2019. She was a fabulous musician and did performances all over Georgia. She played the following instruments: floor harp, dulcimer, auto harp, guitar and piano. I have seen her go from a master musician to a 140 baby, not being able to do anything. I am her primary caregiver. By far the worst journey that either of us has ever been on. Will not be long before she will be on a feeding tube and a ventilator. I am 76 and she is 66. We have 2 wonderful professional daughters and 6 grandchildren. We have been married for 45 years.
I have seen her go through many physical changes and she has quite a few more to go through with this disease. I do not want her to have to endure these changes. Now, she can barely talk. I do not want to see her go through these changes. I do not want my daughters to see her go through these changes, and, I certainly do not want my grandchildren to see her go through these horrible changes. Grandchildren are ages 4-13. I have one grandson, age 10 that is afraid of her because she cannot speak too well.
I love her dearly and have so for 45 years, however, if we had the choice we had rather for her to be able to make the choice, to continue as she is with many more devastating changes to come, or, presently to be able to make the decision to go out in peace. She is a woman of great faith and knows where she is going.
I know a lot of people will not agree with me, and that is fine and your decision. However, unless you have lived with someone that has loved you and you have loved them beyond measure, you cannot fathom living with ALS, which the American Medical Association classifies as the worst possible medical condition that anyone can be diagnosed with. There is no treatment, no drug, no pill, no infusion. You get ALS, live for so long, and then you die. Would not wish it on my worst enemy.........but would like for her to be able to make the decision based in her desires.......
My prayers are with you and your family.