Canned or Frozen Turnip/Mustard Greens

B. White

For those that do, how do you put yours up? We have always frozen, but freezers are pretty full. Are they worth the effort and any good canned? Do they cook down in the process like cooking to eat, or do you have a jar full that cooks down more when ready to cook it? Space is the only consideration, so if no good comments I'll cook them down and then freeze as usual.

B. White

Doesn't look like anyone prefers canning, so I stuck with freezing the first couple of batches. I checked some folks on youtube and I don't see how just blanching would wilt them enough to not to need a bunch of jars to get a decent amount when cooked down. A pint jar of fully cooked with juice gives us about 1.2 lb bags of something ready to eat.

B. White

I've always cooked mine then froze em in freezer ziplocs.

We got 18 bags so far and will do some more this week. Working on collards now. It isn't any much harder to pick and wash big batches in a washtub, but it sure does take a long time to get it to cook down enough to fit in two pots and then cook until tender. Collards seem to give a lot more for the effort, but it is good to have some variety.

dutchie49

I freeze and can depending on space in the freezer. I am picking the last of my radish greens to freeze. Yes they can be eaten, they are milder than other greens. We grow radishes every fall the neighbors tried them this year and were amazed at the taste.

B. White

I freeze and can depending on space in the freezer. I am picking the last of my radish greens to freeze. Yes they can be eaten, they are milder than other greens. We grow radishes every fall the neighbors tried them this year and were amazed at the taste.

I use the radishes and their greens both mixed with lettuce for salads early on. Greens are good raw, until they start to get older and tough and get fed to rabbits. We like the roots roasted sometimes too.