Getting the Garden Ready

B. White

Got my okra planted today during the eclipse using my one row planter. Think I might have super okra?

It appears you got the deluxe model. My wife borrowed mine below to plant 8 rows of sweet corn Friday. Less trouble and thinning than messing with the seeder or planter. We have tried to plant a little something daily since Friday.

Got all of the plants we had in the ground and drip tape going to water them in. Last couple of years we have had to rush hearing thunder in the distance as we were getting started. We were better organized this time and mixed up some buckets of half rabbit manure, half compost and a little lime and organic fertilizer. It did good last year top dressed, but hope it will do better this time going in each hole with a plant. Spread one FEL bucket full of wood chips around half the maters. Will try to do a couple each day until they are covered. It is a lot of shoveling, but will pay off not having to deal with as many weeds later on.

We still have okra, beans of all types, peas and field corn to go.

1712618668602.jpeg

snuffy

I have the end cut at a pretty steep angle.
Try to keep it just above the bottom of the row.

I have a question. I tried using a pipe like that and the end just kept plugging with soil. Do you have an elbow on the end or something?

B. White

I have a question. I tried using a pipe like that and the end just kept plugging with soil. Do you have an elbow on the end or something?

Some folks poke a hole with the pipe when planting. I make a furrow first with the wheel hoe and I'm just dragging it across the bottom without putting much force down. I did another 480 ft this evening and did get a clog twice, but just had to shake it to get it loose. Pipe diameter may also make a difference. I'm using 1".

B. White

I got everything finished over the past couple of evenings except for field corn. About wore out from it, but it is worth it. Sweet corn is just coming up, so I'll give it a few more days to get some space between them. I hope I have better luck with butter beans than I did last year. I froze some, but not much and had to replant. Still have some bare dirt just in case some stuff doesn't pop up. Sowing buckwheat on it until needed.

SC Hunter

We took a family beach trip this week gone for 4 nights. My brother is doing a shut down at work and their working them boys something serious, he still came by every morning and watered the garden and fed the dogs, cat and chickens. I got in there this afternoon and sorted out the grass growing in there and got everything fixed up. This is the first year we've had a garden here, started in cups and transplanted. Squash and Ford hooks are doing good. My brandywine tomatoes are coming along good too!

Attachments

• Snapchat-1746431948.jpg
    Snapchat-1746431948.jpg
    349.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Snapchat-393489003.jpg
    Snapchat-393489003.jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 10