Car stories let's hear some:

Hillbilly stalker

I laughed at you running the 225 slant 6 Plymouth. :rofl:
Sad thing is....it was a Plymouth Valiant slant 6. :biggrin2: One of the best Mopar engines ever made my opinion. Now daddy had a 78 Plymouth scamp (looked like a Dodge Dart) that had a 318 in it. It would run like a scalded dog. It was a real sleeper, it was white with a half green vinyl top, looked like a paw paws car. I left several Camaros and Mustangs wondering what happened with that Mayflower. If you poked it in the rear end...you better have someplace for it to go. It was tuff keeping it between the ditches. Awww the good ol days.:rockon:

Geffellz18

My very first ticket, I was 17 I think. Was driving my sisters 90 something trans am. Turned off a side street onto the main hwy in town and the road was empty, so I decided to see what the car could do.
Got clocked doing 73 in a 35! Cop dropped it down to below super speeder charge(or whatever the official terminology is), but it was still nearly $200 back in the mid 90’s. That wasn’t a fun night exposing that to the parents! Ended up doing community service picking up trash on the highways and working at an independent nursery to pay the ticket off.

This one came to mind reading the GW thread. Was driving a nissan 200sx I had before children came into the picture.
Shortly after moving to the ATL area-2001, I was coming back from the Marietta area on I285 inner loop towards 85 when a GSP pulled me over. Said I was speeding. I felt like it was more like targeting, only further supported by his behavior. He was being a hard tail from the start questioning where I had been and where I was going, if I lived here now being I still had FL tags(I told him I was visiting my Aunt & Uncle-who I had just moved in with). He demanded my license, registration & proof of insurance.
I kept my cool and hands on the wheel, yes/no sir and all of that, but he had me a little startled because of his tone and attitude. He did his thing and let me off with a warning.
A few minutes later as I’m still traveling to my Aunt & Uncles house, another GSP pulls beside me and flips their lights on. It was the same trooper that pulled me over, now yelling at me to roll my window down.
When he asked where I was going initially when I was pulled, I told him Stone Mountain, but I turned onto I-85 so he was yelling as we were driving Next to each other on I 85 that I told him I was going to Stone Mountain. I yelled back that I was going to Lilburn-Stone Mountain
as I wasn’t completely familiar with the area. He acknowledged what I said and sped off.
I have the upmost respect for law enforcement and the extremely difficult job they have at times, but this guy was a tool and had an axe to grind that night apparently! Still treated him with upmost respect and got off with a warning, so he wasn’t all that bad in the end I suppose!

Last edited:

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
My first car was a 1982 Datsun 210 hatchback with a 65 horsepower 4 cylinder and a 5 speed manual transmission. It was not a car that made the baby dolls look twice.
I'm not sure what kind of gas mileage it got but I could put 5 dollars of gas in it a week and never come close to running empty. When the starter died, I parked on a slight hill in the parking lot at school and roll started it for 3 months until my dad found out and helped me pay for a new starter. The speedometer cable was torn loose on a back road at the hunting camp but it didn't matter. I drove for 3 years without a speedometer because I knew the certain hum it made at 35, 45, and 60 and I never got a speeding ticket in it.
You could fold down the back seat and lay a plastic tarp down and put a deer in there. It carried all my belongings from home to college and back again a few times. The back seats weren't supposed to lift out, but I fixed them so that they would and I found out that you could hide a shotgun under the seat for quick trips up to the hunting camp from college.
Since I was over 6 foot tall, I couldn't stretch out all the way but I could fold the back seat down and lay a foam pad in there and sleep pretty well. I spent quite a few nights sleeping in there at the hunting camp and in the mountains with the window barely cracked and a candle in a soup can to knock the chill off.
It was my all purpose adventure vehicle for 7 years and took good care of me.

Last edited:

Redbow

I quit telling my slow stories. I had a 454 SS el Camino that I thought was fast. Ran a VW with a 2180 that I thought was fast.

Now days a grocery getter is faster. We actually have showroom cars running what Grumpy Jenkins set as the Pro stock record in 1969.

View attachment 1287300
I used to go with a drag racing friend of mine up to Middlesex NC to visit Ronnie Sox at his speed shop there. My friend drag raced in the Super Stock circuit he used to get us boys in the drag strips for free. My friend raced under the name of Billy West he was the NC and Va. champion for a time back in the early sixties. He had a Plymouth that he built into a drag car the thing had a 413 engine in it at the time. One night at the drag strap in Fayetteville NC Billy missed a gear and over revved the 413, she came apart scattering engine parts on the drag strip. You could raise the hood on the Plymouth and look at the engine from the drivers side and see daylight all the way thru it.

My friend also knew Richard Petty when Richard was drag racing. He went to Randleman one day and bought an engine from Petty. That engine only made it a few times down the track before it came apart. Billy tried to get Petty to replace the blown engine but Petty refused. Ronnie Sox went on to the NHRA circuit and made it big there. Ronnie Sox was a nice fellow and a very friendly guy. He passed on in 2006, my drag racing friend Billy West died sometime in the 1990's. Good days back then and wonderful times at the drag strip that I still often think about and reflect on still today.

TheWildLife

Had a 1973 340 Duster with automatic. Was heading north on Hwy 41 out of Macon towards Monroe county. A fella in 66 or 67 Chevelle pulled along side of me and it was on. I didn't leave him standing still but I did pull ahead by a good margin. After mile or two I decided to let off and slow down. I can remember two things at that point........how much the front of the car came down and the low oil pressure light coming on at the same time. All I could think of was I just tore up that engine good! Luckily it was just the wire had come off the sending unit and all was fine. Plugged it back on and went on about my business.IMG_2028 (002).jpg

basstrkr

I love the old days of making do

It wern't much to look at, it wern't much to drive.
It had a window missing on the passenger side.
The floor board was patched up with paper and tar,
But I really was something in my old yellow car.

huntersluck

I had camaros and a nova ss , but the car story I wanted to tell was one my x father in law told me many years ago. He had a brother who had the occasional elbow problem and one night had worked his elbow quite a bit and totaled a superbird in a field , that was an expensive case of beer

basstrkr

Once upon a time I had a brown 64 Plymouth Valiant with the slant 6. Gave $50 for her. Fill her up with oil and check the gas. Rusted out floorpans and trunk complete with exhaust leak and a big dent in the front fender. I'd drive behind the local grocery store every week or so to replace the cardboard I put in the seat to keep the springs from poking me in the butt. I could drive her down dirt roads without worry learned to slide the curves and maintain control. She' get me to some backwoods fishin holes and weekend fire partys without worry. Learned how to maximize traction and keep just enough momentum to get through and how to do more with less. Every time she got stuck was another lesson. Also learned about basic mechanicing and rigging.
A raggedy ride beats a sporty walk The Duke boys had the General Lee, I had the General Custer...shes long gone but I'm still thankful I had that old klunker.

There is one on face book.
1707397176183.png

bighonkinjeep

There is one on face book.
View attachment 1287657
Think that pic is a 60-62 model. 64 I had didnt have the same body lines from the rear door back. I probably wouldnt want another unless the option was my sporty walk LOL. To my eye the body style never has been much to look at but it served its purpose at the time. My buddys called it the "Valium" because it drifted all over the lane whether no beer or a 12 pack deep. Holding it in my lane was a challenge.Things were a lot different then and I fortunately outgrew rolling dirt roads with a cold beer between my legs with no consequence.

Last edited:

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
1962 Chevy Impala with a small block V-8. Had as much work done on it as a 16 year old working part time could afford. Larger carb, transmission beef up and reschedule, headers and pipes. Taking my G/F home from a date and a guy in a newer Chevy SS picked a race on the freeway. I was in the lead watching his headlights go lane to lane behind me. Suddenly those SS headlights started closing so I gave it all it had. Those SS headlights raced up on my bumper and red lights were flashing. Sitting there, preparing to go to jail, I told the Deputy where I left and was going and I was trying to get her home. He peeked in at her and disappeared for the longest 10 minutes of my life. He came back and looked at me from under that mounty hat and told me, “Son, next time you want to fly this thing put wings on it.” No ticket, no warning, sent me on my way. I was one relieved teenager.

Core Lokt

I hit a tree head on at estimated 90mph and only got 7 stitches. It was my mom's car. Totaled it. Then I rolled my first car wearing nothing but a bathing suit going back to a party where I lost a girl's phone number. Didn't get hurt at all. Yes, alcohol was involved in both cases. I was 17 at the time.

The Good Lord has a plan for me, and I need to figure it out and listen.... I have been blessed more than I deserve.

sinclair1

I hit a tree head on at estimated 90mph and only got 7 stitches. It was my mom's car. Totaled it. Then I rolled my first car wearing nothing but a bathing suit going back to a party where I lost a girl's phone number. Didn't get hurt at all. Yes, alcohol was involved in both cases. I was 17 at the time.

The Good Lord has a plan for me, and I need to figure it out and listen.... I have been blessed more than I deserve.
I ran off a curve on pebblebrook road racing at 19 and traveled 500 yards only hitting saplings. When we went back to look, it was almost impossible to get the truck out past all the big oaks. Feel the same as you and it sure stopped the road racing!