Carters Walleye - Nov. 2011 Update

puddle jumper

Man its good to see some others folks join my obsession, I did this all last spring with no luck,, and in the summer around lights,,
Anyways I know I will just be making a donation but im in...
What are the stakes going to be?
PJ

Lukikus2

Thanks for the advice,but will this work during the day or fish it at night

It is actually better in the day while the water is colder. The key is to keep your lure bouncing off the bottom. If your not ticking the rocks your chances go way down. Be prepared to lose a few lures though. Oh yea, in dingy water "bone" is a excellent color for them too.

Gitterdone

Son will be home at 4.30 then were headed to carters to chase the walleye.have everything we need on the boat to catch a walleye witch dosnt leave much room for us...lol...Cant believe im bringing so much tackle to catch a fish.I dont take this much stuff offshore.Going tonight and in morning we will see what happens.got plenty of advice from our members thats why theres so much tackle..going to try it all

jim hakala

walleye

The river above Carters is stained but not muddy. The high water of late has driven the female walleye into the river shoals and runs to spawn. We picked up good numbers that were flowing eggs and a couple that were already spent. The Carters' walleye spawn is in full swing! A number of fish had worn fins, sides and bellies from spawning. Biggest walleye today were in the 5-6 pound range. Good luck out there.

jim hakala

walleye

Below is a pic. of a nice egg-laden Carters walleye we picked up during sampling Wed. (see Carters post above). As these fish spawn-out, they should start feeding better as they make their way back towards the main lake body. Look initially to points and deep woody debris in the Coosawattee arm of the lake, as these fish make their way into the main lake body.

Also........ One last statewide walleye report from my NE GA counterpart - week 6

With the full moon, high river flows and warming water temperatures this week, walleye are at their peak density in the rocky shallows of most north Georgia reservoirs. Details for each lake are reported at the bottom of this report. In general, our surveys this week indicated that almost half of the female walleye have completed their business and will head back down the lake soon. Most of the remainder will finish their spawning activities by next week, leaving behind a few stragglers for the last week of March and into early April. It's been a good season with some monster fish being caught, including several over 10 lbs. I hope these reports have been helpful and informative.....

Lake Lanier - There are high densities of walleye in the headwater pools and shoals in the Chattahoochee and Chestatee Rivers. Most of the fish are males in the 2 to 3 lb range. There is plenty of bank fishing opportunity for walleye along the Chestatee River upstream of the GA 400 Bridge. Most Chestatee River fish were found upstream of the old bridge abutment to the first upstream shoal.

Carters Lake - On Wednesday, Jim Hakala found an abundance of walleye in the shoals above Ridgeway boat ramp. Water stained, but not muddy.

Lake Hartwell - The flow was extremely high this week and walleye were probably concentrated below Yonah Dam, which is too far upstream for boats. Bank fishing access is available downstream of Yonah Dam.

Lake Yonah - The flow on Yonah was also extremely high this week, which made for some difficult fishing conditions. Plenty of walleye are still in the vicinity of Tugalo Dam, but their numbers are declining.

Lake Rabun - Because of the easy bank fishing opportunities in the headwaters of Lake Rabun, it has been hammered by anglers for the past several weeks. Despite the heavy pressure, there are fair numbers of walleye in the vicinity of the Bear Gap Road Bridge. Several anglers told me this week they had success using nightcrawlers.

Lake Seed - There are high numbers of walleye in Lake Seed between the Burton Dam Road Bridge to the old bridge crossing downstream. This area can be accessed by bank anglers on Crow Creek Road or by boat. There are also a lot of walleye and some fat brown trout in the shade underneath the Burton Dam Road Bridge.

This will be the last walleye fishing report for the spring season. The locations and techniques described in this week's report will hold up for another week or two. As walleye retreat back down the lake, they will initially be found on clay banks and points in the upper end of the reservoir, especially near the deeper end of submerged trees. Once again, the curly tail grub or Shad Rap will entices some post-spawn walleye to bite.

Look for more information on summer fishing techniques in the coming months. Until then.......Good Fishing!

Anthony

Anthony Rabern
Senior Fisheries Biologist
Georgia Department of Natural Resources

Attachments

• WALLEYE16.jpg
    WALLEYE16.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 593

caver101

We went Friday night....nothing but a handful of little 1/2 to 3/4lb spots. Not the first strike after dark. Used crankbaits (from surface to ticking the bottom) and worms.

Squirrel29

Went friday night after walleye at Lake Tugalo. Fished crankbaits, grubs, and night crawlers with only one shellcracker to show for it.

wncslim

Thanks for the updates. We've been fishing Fontana and about half the fish are spawned out, so we are right with the N Ga reports, maybe a week behind. Look forward to the next two months when they are easy to catch in shallow water. Wish our state's wildlife dept. was as up on the fish as y'all are. They are too busy giving tickets for parking on the concrete at the ramps.

Lukikus2

Thanks for the updates. We've been fishing Fontana and about half the fish are spawned out, so we are right with the N Ga reports, maybe a week behind. Look forward to the next two months when they are easy to catch in shallow water. Wish our state's wildlife dept. was as up on the fish as y'all are. They are too busy giving tickets for parking on the concrete at the ramps.

The fish should be shallow now. The warmer the water gets the deeper they go. Look at the surroundings of the previous posts and fish those kinds of banks.

Jim2bass

Carters lake Monday 3/22/11

Ok Monday 3/22 6:30pm-10:30pm troll and cast shad raps ridgeway to the shoals. 3 chunky spots, no walleye. I kinda feel like the coyote in a roadrunner cartoon. Anybody got any ACME fishing lures? Will continue "endeavour to perservere" "the Wiley Walleye".

Sweetwater

Saw the "Hook And Look" episode about Carters. Great job Mr. Hakala. :cool:

jim hakala

Saw the "Hook And Look" episode about Carters. Great job Mr. Hakala. :cool:

Thanks guys.

Now for walleye.....a recent look at this board and one will see a few walleye have been pulled from Carters' waters over the last week. The spawn is over and the walleye will be feeding heavily to recoup from the rigors of the spawn. While not the only way to catch them, a number are caught this time every year by bass fisherman throwing jerkbaits and crankbaits. Good luck out there.

Jim

Chris H.

Thanks guys.

Now for walleye.....a recent look at this board and one will see a few walleye have been pulled from Carters' waters over the last week. The spawn is over and the walleye will be feeding heavily to recoup from the rigors of the spawn. While not the only way to catch them, a number are caught this time every year by bass fisherman throwing jerkbaits and crankbaits. Good luck out there.

Jim

I witnessed three caught this weekend and none of them looked to have spawned at all. Fat as can be. They seem to be fond of spinnerbaits.

Last edited:

Lake_and_stream

I think we still can catch them this week. I may wait until Thursday. But really want to try it on Tuesday....I got a buddy that fishes the FLW for Walleye and he as talked to me in length about how to target these fish right now...
The only thing I need to know now is, how many and is there a size limit on them.....

Well ::ke:

Latest posts