Catalpa Worms

ThomasCobb123

Where can I buy live Catalpa Worms here in Georgia and what do they usually cost?
Thanks.

specialk

good luck, blackstocks in fairburn has them sometimes but they are always frozen.....which works just as good for fishing.....

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Grow your own trees would be the easiest way to have them. My trees are loaded and the worms should be big enough to harvest Monday. I blanch my worms and then dry them off before I vacuum seal them in a bag and place in freezer.

ThomasCobb123

Grow your own trees would be the easiest way to have them. My trees are loaded and the worms should be big enough to harvest Monday. I blanch my worms and then dry them off before I vacuum seal them in a bag and place in freezer.
What does the word "blanch" mean?
Thank you. (if I find some cheap, I'd like to save them like you do)

trad bow

Blanching is a process used in the canning process of vegetables. It’s bringing the vegetables up to boiling for a few minutes. Not fully cooking. I place the worms in boiling water for 30 seconds. Don’t want them to cook just toughen up the skin. Then dry and freeze.

specialk

trad, never heard of doing them that way.....we would put them in a zipper bag with some cornmeal and

LureheadEd

No worms on our neighborhood trees yet this year....Had it happen about 10 years ago, now some new neighbors are there and we all had to convince him to not spray the area last year...Hope he didn't this year....

trad bow

Cornmeal works but it’s easier to blanch them then put in bags of twenty-five then just take out a few at the time.

sowega hunter

I have a tree I've had for years and have never had any worms. The tree is about 30 feet tall. Any suggestions on how to get them to start using the tree? I did get a few from a friend a few years ago and put on it but still no luck.

trad bow

I cut my trees back every other year. I also place sand around the trees for the worms to go into to mature to adults.

Killdee

Used to be a common thing for a few folks you knew had trees and worms. I planted 3 at the end of our culdsac years ago and stocked them. Had worms for years till the trees got puny and we cut em down. There’s a few trees growing along the hooch but I’ve never seen worms on em.

ThomasCobb123

Blanching is a process used in the canning process of vegetables. It’s bringing the vegetables up to boiling for a few minutes. Not fully cooking. I place the worms in boiling water for 30 seconds. Don’t want them to cook just toughen up the skin. Then dry and freeze.
After you thaw them out to go fishing, do they still have the juice in them like when they were alive? Or does it go away?
That greenish juice that oozed out seemed to be 'the thing' for those bluegills. My dad used to cut one in half and stick a half on the hook...that way you'd get 2 fish per worm
Thanks

trad bow

They are just like a live one. If you leave them in the hot water to long they might dry out but you’re talking cooking times as opposed to blanching. Blanching toughens the skin keeping them on hook better. I think it may delay any decaying process and the worms retain all their colors.

ThomasCobb123

They are just like a live one. If you leave them in the hot water to long they might dry out but you’re talking cooking times as opposed to blanching. Blanching toughens the skin keeping them on hook better. I think it may delay any decaying process and the worms retain all their colors.
That is great information. I know what to do with them now.........all I got to do is FIND some. Thank you for your time in responding. (y):)