Chainsaw bar size question

Robert28

I was going to buy a new Stihl 261cm the other day and the dealer only had an 18” and 20” bar. I wanted a 16” for a saw this size (50cc) but stihl is having a time with getting bars to dealers, I talked to 4 stihl dealers and they all said the same thing. They need bars and can’t get them and stihl ships the saws with whatever they can, the one I almost bought came with a 20” and for what I want this saw for that was too big. This saw won’t be for felling, unless it’s small trees, I have a bigger saw (ms440) for that. I just wanted something smaller than didn’t weigh 15lbs. I tend to like to run smaller bars on saws, I want them to scream. I guess I can get the saw with 18” and get a 16” whenever stihl gets around to stocking bars more regularly. I just wanted to make sure this would work first.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
That appears to be a good powerful professional use saw.They didn't make that when I was a professional with 6 to 10 running saws at my disposal any time.
I would just be very sure to get the bars (AND CHAINS) with the yellow not green color code.

Robert28

Interesting.

I run a 24” bar. It’s great to not have to bend over so far and I got more teethe so I sharpen it less.
I have a 20” I keep on my 440 but would love one of the new “light” bars in 25”. You can’t get em though. One dealer sells husqvarna and stihl together and says stihl is losing some sales to them because husky has it on the shelf and stihl doesn’t, so the customer leaves with something else other than stihl. Husky has some issues but nothing like stihl is having according to him.

Robert28

That appears to be a good powerful professional use saw.They didn't make that when I was a professional with 6 to 10 running saws at my disposal any time.
I would just be very sure to get the bars (AND CHAINS) with the yellow not green color code.
Yeah it’s a really good little pro saw, it’s the first one in their pro series lineup if I’m not mistaken. I’ll definitely make sure to get the yellow if I decide to go pick it up!

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
If you only want a 16” bar I would take a serious look at an electric saw. They are no longer just used by weekend warriors. This year in ALaska we had a 45’ section of a hemlock tree top break and fall on our walk way. I was dreading the clean up and repair. An AK full time resident friend of mine told me that his son who is a well known professional “lumberjack” would help us clear the walk way. Of course we were grateful for any help. I was expecting him to come up with several gas saws, but he came up with a Milwaukee 18v electric saw with extra battery pack. He was amazing. Look in the the before and after pictures. In the after photo look to upper right to see the diameter of the tree top. Amazingly, what you can see in the photo was only about half of what he cut. The after photo was taken after we had removed all the swag62D9EDB0-D675-4A5B-8289-26EA3571FC17.jpeg
6D78F380-0C8C-4476-BAF9-6C9AF86EF432.jpeg

Last edited:

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
If you only want a 16” blade I would take a serious look at an electric saw. They are no longer just used by weekend warriors. This year in ALaska we had a 45’ section of a hemlock tree top break and fall on our walk way. I was dreading the clean up and repair. An AK full time resident friend of mine told me that his son who is a well known professional “lumberjack” would help us clear the walk way. Of course we were grateful for any help. I was expecting him to come up with several gas saws, but he came up with a Milwaukee 18v electric saw with extra battery pack. He was amazing. Look in the the before and after pictures. In the after photo look to upper right to see the diameter of the tree top. Amazingly, what you can see in the photo was only about half of what he cut. The after photo was taken after we had removed all the swagView attachment 1226411
View attachment 1226413
Yeah but the battery is nearly $300 the saw is almost another $300. Might as well get 2 batteries.... they're not worth a grand to me yet even if I do use Milwaukee cordless 18v daily. Cool stuff though.

Robert28

If you only want a 16” bar I would take a serious look at an electric saw. They are no longer just used by weekend warriors. This year in ALaska we had a 45’ section of a hemlock tree top break and fall on our walk way. I was dreading the clean up and repair. An AK full time resident friend of mine told me that his son who is a well known professional “lumberjack” would help us clear the walk way. Of course we were grateful for any help. I was expecting him to come up with several gas saws, but he came up with a Milwaukee 18v electric saw with extra battery pack. He was amazing. Look in the the before and after pictures. In the after photo look to upper right to see the diameter of the tree top. Amazingly, what you can see in the photo was only about half of what he cut. The after photo was taken after we had removed all the swagView attachment 1226411
View attachment 1226413
I’ve heard very good things about the electric Milwaukee’s, pic is proof too looks like. He had his work cut out but looks like he got it done!

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
A 16" bar is a good all-around size. If Stihl can't get you one, get it with the longer one, then get you an Oregon 16" bar anywhere. They work plenty good, just the opinion of somebody who's been running chainsaws at home and at work for nearly half a century.

Robust Redhorse

Please don't recommend a battery operated saw to an inexperienced sawyer.

Chaps won't stop them and the lack of noise makes neophytes think they are as safe as a string trimmer.

Robert28

A 16" bar is a good all-around size. If Stihl can't get you one, get it with the longer one, then get you an Oregon 16" bar anywhere. They work plenty good, just the opinion of somebody who's been running chainsaws at home and at work for nearly half a century.
I run Oregon chains a lot, never tried one of their bars though. Might have to do that.

Robert28

Please don't recommend a battery operated saw to an inexperienced sawyer.

Chaps won't stop them and the lack of noise makes neophytes think they are as safe as a string trimmer.
Yeah I’m not ready to jump on the electric chainsaw bandwagon. I would consider an electric pole saw though. Something I know I won’t have to use often, I need my chainsaws to go and go now, sometimes I’ll be deep in the woods and carry in a gallon of mixed fuel with me.

basshappy

BANNED
I use my M18 Battery powered chainsaw a lot. Multiple bars and chains. Use a dremmel to sharpen the chains. When the teeth are sharp this little saw fells trees like a gas saw. And it is so quiet no muffs needed. Pruning, limbing, and felling are all within the M18 wheelhouse. And since I have Milwaukee angle grinder, drill, impact, etc. I have plenty of batteries to keep on going. I did a lot of research and I waited a year and one half before picking up the M18 saw. Now it pretty much goes everywhere with us.

buckmanmike

Both 2 batteries or a gallon of fuel would outlast me. I bought an Ego saw and blower last fall. Both with a battery and charger. Blower is excellent, havent used chain saw yet.

earlthegoat2

I like 18” on the 260 class Stihl saws and 16” on the 240 class. Anymore, I pretty much only use an 024 AVS (a size smaller than the 261) with 16 “ or a 660 with a 32”. That 32” bar is an Oregon bar. Or a 200TC if I am in a tree. I have found my needs gravitate towards really small or really big.

The 261 is a wonderful saw and is fully capable of running an 18”. If you horse the saw it will bog down whether you are using an 16” or an 18”. Let the (sharp?) chain do the cutting.

I fully rebuilt a 261 with a bump in compression and some light porting for my FIL and gave it to him as he had just bought a new house and had a few trimming projects. That thing was a pretty mean small saw.

He got done with the projects and the saw was stolen a short time later.

A bit into the weeds but my favorite chains for general purpose use are .063 gauge and the teeth are semi chisel type. This gives the best cutting vs wear characteristics. Most chains sold at a Stihl dealer will be a full chisel type. These cut the best when sharp but wear a bit faster and are unforgiving of improper sawing practices like running the chain in dirt.

These days, just get what you can find though. They will all work and really are not worth the hassle of trying to locate a specific tooth type.

Chains and chainsaws can get pretty complicated.

tree cutter 08

Just bought a new 261 carb model about a month ago. Took the spark screen out and have run a few dozen tanks through. It's broke in good now and screams with the 18 in bar. Just keep the chain good and sharp and don't get to aggressive with the drags and it will make you smile. I've quit picking up my 362 near as much. To me any shorter that a 18 in bar is to short and I've run a 16 on all saws all the way up to the 661. Just a personal preference