Chattahoochee Record Carp on a Fly Rod

weagle

I love fishing the Chattahoochee. Caught a record Carp on a Fly Rod last week:
Story here at Georgia Outdoor News.

https://gon.com/

Video:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>gon 8.PNG

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
That’s awesome weagle , I read your article yesterday , enjoyed it ! Congrats

little rascal

Weagle, I used love fishing there too! Could catch trout, pike, crappie, big bream, big shiners , bass, yellow perch, all on the same day! I found out a lot of the bream actually spawn in June and July cause the water is so cold. I have seen so many huge carp, used to to go up and down the banks back when snagging wasn't illegal and hook one in the tail and she/he runs under every limb and brush pile up the bank until I get them out in open water, and finally bring them to the boat. Caught some really big Bass in the lake fishing the weed
lines with a crankbait.
The later years would just have me run up to the shoals and catch trout and go home.
Awesome, I had a couple grass carp from there I put in my pond, caught one of them on a pop'r weighed over 37 lbs., on my little scale.

weagle

Nice!! That's two for you ain't it ?
Yes, I had the largemouth record, but it's now 8lbs. Caught a couple that were close to that this spring but just a few ounces shy,

Records are made to be broken and I think if I targeted the carp, I could put a 12 or 15 lber on the board. Probably not with that 5wt fly rod though :)

weagle

Weagle, I used love fishing there too! Could catch trout, pike, crappie, big bream, big shiners , bass, yellow perch, all on the same day! I found out a lot of the bream actually spawn in June and July cause the water is so cold. I have seen so many huge carp, used to to go up and down the banks back when snagging wasn't illegal and hook one in the tail and she/he runs under every limb and brush pile up the bank until I get them out in open water, and finally bring them to the boat. Caught some really big Bass in the lake fishing the weed
lines with a crankbait.
The later years would just have me run up to the shoals and catch trout and go home.
Awesome, I had a couple grass carp from there I put in my pond, caught one of them on a pop'r weighed over 37 lbs., on my little scale.

Nice. I saw a huge goldfish (koi maybe?) in there a couple weeks ago, must have been 4 lbs. :)

The chain pickerel and yellow perch used to be almost a nuisance, but I haven't caught a chain pickerel in there in at least 4 years and I probably caught 2 perch last year.

As always, the water level and conditions vary greatly depending on what they are doing at Buford and Morgan Falls dams, but fortunately, it's practically in my back yard, so I can take a spin around the block and see if it's worth going.

weagle

I caught about a dozen bream the same day. Found some beds, but never found any big bream.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RNC

I bet that was a boogerbear to get in .
Congratz !

Latest posts