Chicken thighs, what do you do?

Kwaksmoka

Gonna throw some chicken thighs on the grill soon! Typically I soak them in Italian dressing for a day then grill them with some sort of seasoning. Just picked up some meet church voodoo I may try but was checking to see if anybody else had a different marinade or rub they preferred? Just wanting to try something new thanks

georgia_home

We oven bake. Paul prudomme chicken spice. Get the skin crispy

Could go in the grill too I think. Good flavor not spicy

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
For grilling we marinate ours in soy sauce & brown sugar. Heat the soy sauce so the brown sugar will dissolve, marinate 2 or 3 hours.

We also cook them in olive oil & butter on the stove top sometimes.
Season with salt, pepper, & garlic powder. They're good.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
You just about can't mess up chicken thighs. I prefer to marinade them though because they seem to hold the marinade flavor better than white meat does. I've used every marinade you can think of but an easy go to that I always have in the house is low sodium Dales (or the store brand imitation) and italian dressing with Badia all purpose seasoning once I get them on the grill.

Paleo

Dump Trump Movement CEO
Gonna throw some chicken thighs on the grill soon! Typically I soak them in Italian dressing for a day then grill them with some sort of seasoning. Just picked up some meet church voodoo I may try but was checking to see if anybody else had a different marinade or rub they preferred? Just wanting to try something new thanks
Save your pickle juice, from any and all kinds of pickles. It makes the best brine. Two hours is enough, 4- 8 hours is better, overnight doesn't hurt.
White vinegar works well all by itself. I grill chicken thighs (bone-in/skin-on more than anything else. Sometimes just use a seasoned salt and pepper or a commercial chicken grill seasoning. A Clemson sauce or a very similar Texas mop sauce is really good, Worcestershire sauce, butter, lemon juice, cider vinegar, a little brown sugar, black pepper maybe some hot sauce or Sriracha. Cheap bottled bbq sauce diluted with cider vinegar is easy and fast.

pjciii

I do alot of chicken thighs. I will marinade in a gallon ziploc using Dale's low sodium other times it use Mojo. Either way I put them in fridge overnight.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I cook chicken thighs a million ways, but if you're talking about standard "bbq" chicken, I brine them in a kosher salt/sugar/herb brine for at least several hours, hit them with bbq rub, and cook them on the smoker at about 300* until they're at about 165-170* internal, then hit them with some NC vinegar-based bbq sauce and leave them on there long enough for it to glaze.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
I cook chicken thighs a million ways, but if you're talking about standard "bbq" chicken, I brine them in a kosher salt/sugar/herb brine for at least several hours, hit them with bbq rub, and cook them on the smoker at about 300* until they're at about 165-170* internal, then hit them with some NC vinegar-based bbq sauce and leave them on there long enough for it to glaze.
^^^ Was what we had last night.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Myron Mixon's Honey Money Cluck rub for the win.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
I use salt, AC vinegar and water, let it soak for a couple hours

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
A half-gallon of water, 1/4 cup of salt, 1/4 cup of sugar, and whatever herbs you want in there is a good basic brine for chicken and pork. It makes a big difference.

Last edited:

JohnnyD

Lots of good ideas here.

My personal favorite is to soak them in a mix of pureed adobo/Chipotle peppers, lime juice, honey, garlic, cumin, and some water to thin it out if necessary. Grilled hot and fast makes that a really good taco filling. Also good over rice or nachos.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member