Church attendance required by Scripture?

LittleDrummerBoy

My view is that while attendance in a Bible believing and teaching church is certainly wise and advisable, it does not seem to be required by Scripture.

The oft cited "Do not give up meeting together" (Heb 10:25) can be satisfied with gatherings with other Christians in other venues that may not be traditional American churches. Some examples might be home gatherings, fellowship over meals, and other places where Christians might meet together, study the Bible, worship, pray, and consider how to fulfill the great commission.

I will also note that I've seen nothing in the 21st century American church to suggest it is any better than the 1st century church. If one reads Revelation 2-3, one sees that Jesus had strong words of rebuke for 6 of 7 churches addressed.

Given these facts, it seems odd that Christians are so quick to judge other Christians' spirituality by their church attendance. Sure, we are instructed to judge trees by their fruit, but if church attendance is not even demanded by Scripture, there are many character issues that would be a higher priority - you know the things that are actually required by Scripture.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
I don't think it's required, but I think its wise. We love our church & are very involved.
I also believe there's strength in numbers. Meeting with fellow believers who can help with your burdens as well as celebrate your victories.

GunnSmokeer

It's not required for salvation.
Failure to attend church isn't a sin, unless you hate the church and hold churchgoers in contempt. There are plenty of pseudo-christians in this camp, who think all churches are man-made institutions created to enrich the founding pastor and his family by fleecing the flock. Some people think your local church is the moral equal to Benny Hinn or Jim Baker or other televangelist fraudsters.

GunnSmokeer

The oft cited "Do not give up meeting together" (Heb 10:25) can be satisfied with gatherings with other Christians in other venues that may not be traditional American churches. Some examples might be home gatherings, fellowship over meals, and other places where Christians might meet together, study the Bible, worship, pray, and consider how to fulfill the great commission.

...Sure, we are instructed to judge trees by their fruit, but if church attendance is not even demanded by Scripture...

Since we are to know the tree by its fruit, I want to know if your question is based on reality or idle speculation, purely academic. How many angels can dance on the head of this pin?

Have you ever in your life known of a godly Christian, who proclaims Christ to the world, who confesses with his (or her) mouth that Jesus is Lord, and spreads the Gospel in fulfillment of the Great Commission, who was NOT regularly attending church? Set aside the special cases of polio victims in iron lungs and missionaries on desert islands. Among normal able-bodied Americans who live in communities from which there are many churches to choose from, are there ANY who walk in Christ in every other way but turn their back on any organization called a "church" that meets in a special building set aside for that purpose?

GeorgiaBob

When followers of the recently crucified rabbi Jesus first gathered, they looked for rooms where they wouldn't be discovered and turned over to authorities. By the time Saul the Tentmaker from Tarsus started hunting down the Jews who still gathered in the Name of Jesus, the people were were using symbols scratched in the dirt to point out the next gathering. When later writers retold the stories of Jesus, nearly everyone who believed that Jesus was the real Messiah would meet with friends and fellow believers in one of their houses.

It would be centuries before followers of the one called (in Greek) the Christ, could afford (both in money and in risk) to erect purpose built houses of worship - and even then Christians met often in each other's homes to celebrate the Risen Lord.

Where two or three are gathered in My name . . .

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
looks to me like the early church met in the temple and in home. It wasn't just one service a week to hold them over til next service.

Act 2:46-47

46 Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, 47 praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.

gordon 2

I read Paul. It seems to me he indicates the purpose for the Church and our part within it as the body of Christ. So by his definitions I understand we are not lone rangers, but we are instead all to one body the church. It is our lot ( if I understood correctly) as believers to help build up the saints and therefore the church, to further the gospel and each by his own gifts help make converts. But maybe I read scripture with a worldly mind and what Paul said is way over my hearts capacity to relate to--- as if I was still in my sins and hypocritically a lone ranger. Personally if the sun or the rain on a Sunday morning with a fishing pole in my hands, not to mention a good fight on the line, could get me "right" with God, I'd sell everything and buy a boat and truck to haul it. But been there done that, and been very lonesome for it-- even thought I enjoy my own company.

Last edited:

LittleDrummerBoy

Since we are to know the tree by its fruit, I want to know if your question is based on reality or idle speculation, purely academic. How many angels can dance on the head of this pin?

My question is practical on several fronts:
1. There have been times in my life when my wife and I have not regularly attended "church" often due to challenges in finding a traditional local church that was Biblical. During these times, we took care to maintain fellowship with other believers, to be disciples, and to make disciples. In hindsight, these periods did not seem to negatively impact our Christian growth, testimony, or the strength of our marriage.
2. My wife and I know a number of young Christians some distance away such that we cannot personally assist them in finding a traditional church to attend regularly. These include our own college-age children and other students we have mentored or discipled. As a practical matter, I'm not to concerned whether their regular fellowship comes through a traditional church, a campus fellowship, a Bible study, or some combination of the above. Not regularly attended a traditional Church has not seemed to hold back their growth or lead to backsliding.
3. One church we recently visited has a pretty pushy message based on Hebrews 10:25 that Christians have a duty to attend church regularly and seems to reject the possibility that the instruction of Hebrews 10:25 could be meet by meeting and fellowship with other believers in different venues.
4. It is harder to find a Biblical church in 2019 than it was when I became a believer in 1989. New believers (by definition) are spiritual infants and don't have great discernment or Bible knowledge. Pressure to attend church seems like an undue burden and probably should be a lower priority than other aspects of being a new disciple such as:
A. Reading Scripture, praying, and worshiping regularly
B. Getting baptized
C. Repenting of disqualifying sins as those listed in 1 Cor 5 and Gal 5
D. Working to develop Christian character such as the qualities described in 2 Peter 1.

Have you ever in your life known of a godly Christian, who proclaims Christ to the world, who confesses with his (or her) mouth that Jesus is Lord, and spreads the Gospel in fulfillment of the Great Commission, who was NOT regularly attending church?

Yes. A number of cases.

Set aside the special cases of polio victims in iron lungs and missionaries on desert islands. Among normal able-bodied Americans who live in communities from which there are many churches to choose from, are there ANY who walk in Christ in every other way but turn their back on any organization called a "church" that meets in a special building set aside for that purpose?

My experience and the experiences of those close to me has caused me to doubt your premise that seems to be that there is still a good, Biblical church within an easy commute of everywhere in America. Being without a car in some places makes the effective radius of an easy commute much smaller. Further, I doubt your premise that a Christian should bother to keep looking for a traditional church meeting if their fellowship and discipleship needs are being adequately met by another group of believers that does not happen to meet in a traditional church.

Why should I tell the college students I know, "That Bible study and campus fellowship are insufficient. You need to find a real church to attend on Sunday mornings. I know you've tried all the ones within walking distance of campus and are disgusted with their approval of gay marriage and other compromises. But you should just keep expanding your search radius"?

Why should I tell new believers I know, "That group you meet with during the week is insufficient. It's great that you are reading your Bible every day and assembling with other believers for worship and Bible study. But that group is insufficient because it does not call itself a church and does not meet on Sunday."?

Are these believers perfect? Nope. But they are growing in their faith and their character. At some point, I expect the Lord will lead them to a local church that meets their needs and where they can find greater service in the Lord. But since the Bible tells us, "Do not go beyond what is written" I want to take care not to burden them beyond what Scripture itself requires.

Adding rules beyond what Scripture instructs is just more dead tradition and legalism.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
every college student I know that wanted to go somewhere bad enough had a friend, instructor, coach, or other means to get there. Shoot, some even travel to the beach on the weekends. I don't think transportation is a hold up.

LittleDrummerBoy

every college student I know that wanted to go somewhere bad enough had a friend, instructor, coach, or other means to get there. Shoot, some even travel to the beach on the weekends. I don't think transportation is a hold up.

Perhaps, but either you can give a Scriptural reason why a college student needs to attend a traditional church in addition to an on campus fellowship or bible study, or you cannot.

Why does a college student need to keep visiting local churches once they have found other Christian fellowship to meet their needs? Why jump through the hoops to arrange transportation if attending a "real" church is not an instruction of Scripture.

Either quote the chapter and verse, or admit that there isn't one.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Perhaps, but either you can give a Scriptural reason why a college student needs to attend a traditional church in addition to an on campus fellowship or bible study, or you cannot.

Why does a college student need to keep visiting local churches once they have found other Christian fellowship to meet their needs? Why jump through the hoops to arrange transportation if attending a "real" church is not an instruction of Scripture.

triggered much? I didn't say there was Scripture that says ' Thou shalt be in a church building every Sunday morning"

I think that we, as Christians, often time look for reasons not to go to church, rather than seeking a way to be in church. A lot of the reasons given are just because there are other things we would rather be doing than sitting in a pew listening to a preacher. I understand. A lot of church now is just repetition and ceremony.

When the power of the living God descended on the people in Acts 2, I don't think they people were saying ' I can worship God while I am fishing on the Sea of Galilee.'

dirtnap

I believe a better question would be why would a follower of Christ not want to be in a Bible believing church worshipping with other believers? I know you’ve pointed out that it’s harder to find a true Bible teaching church than it used to be, but let’s be honest, if you really want to find one, you can.

furtaker

Some of the most judgmental, hateful people I've known were regular church attenders. And they think they are/were more spiritual than anybody else because they go to church all the time and think they "own" the church they attend. Personally, I don't think the good Lord thinks too fondly of that attitude.

The Bible teaches that a person is saved by grace through faith alone in Jesus with no works involved whatsoever. The instant I believe in the Son, I have eternal life. Period. It's a good thing to worship in a church that teaches the Bible clearly, but don't be fooled into thinking that "church attendance" is more important than witnessing, studying the Scripture, and loving and helping your fellow man. In fact, I think attending church is of much lesser importance than those.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
what is the purpose of a believer attending church, anyway?

JB0704

I Gots Goats
I believe a better question would be why would a follower of Christ not want to be in a Bible believing church worshipping with other believers? I know you’ve pointed out that it’s harder to find a true Bible teaching church than it used to be, but let’s be honest, if you really want to find one, you can.

There’s a whole slew of reasons why a believer wouldn’t want to be a part of church. I left almost 10 years ago, and do not regret it. My faith is just as strong, I still give, I still serve, I put my kids in Christian school. But, being part of a local church? Nah. My reason is simple, the circular logic of attendance.......everybody acknowledges problems and spins it off as “imperfect people,” but very few if any care to try to fix them. Then, u get beat up about not being part of a body that they recognize is broken but any effort to fix it is viewed as an assault on unity.

As far as college kids goes I have a son who has seen me leave the church, stayed in it himself, left home for a public college and has found a local church to attend twice a week as well as being part of his campus Baptist Collegiate Ministry. I let him make these choices and support him in doing so..........and I sincerely hope he never sees the things I saw. My hope for all my kids is that they are able to enjoy attending church. I just can’t be part of it anymore.

BTW, tons of old threads on this topic, some started by me when I was very new in my protest.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Some of the most judgmental, hateful people I've known were regular church attenders. And they think they are/were more spiritual than anybody else because they go to church all the time and think they "own" the church they attend. Personally, I don't think the good Lord thinks too fondly of that attitude.

The Bible teaches that a person is saved by grace through faith alone in Jesus with no works involved whatsoever. The instant I believe in the Son, I have eternal life. Period. It's a good thing to worship in a church that teaches the Bible clearly, but don't be fooled into thinking that "church attendance" is more important than witnessing, studying the Scripture, and loving and helping your fellow man. In fact, I think attending church is of much lesser importance than those.

......and this ^^^^

Amazing how folks who go to church think that makes them a step ahead of the rest of folks that don’t.

LittleDrummerBoy

So what's the key ingredient that makes gatherings that call themselves a "church" better than other gatherings of believers for fellowship, Bible study, worship, and carrying out the great commission?

Meeting on Sunday? Being tax exempt under the IRS code? Having a certain leadership structure? Calling themselves a "church"?

In the years when my wife and I were not regularly attending church, we attended a Messianic fellowship that met in the home of a gentleman who called himself a "Rabbi." I never really dug into his credentials or the legal organization of the group. The "Rabbi" knew the Bible really well. The teaching was solid. We enjoyed the fellowship of other believers in the group and the worship on Saturday mornings. I've been a Christian for 30 years, and regularly attended church on Sundays for all the years but these. But I can't really think of any additional benefit for our family that would have come from being part of a group that called themselves a "church" and met on Sundays instead. Nor can I think of any additional benefit for the broader body of Christ or for the Kingdom of God.

Likewise, my sons attend Bible studies and a campus fellowship at college. When they are at home, they attend our church with their mother and I. But through the years, I have instilled in them values consistent with "Sola Scriptura". They know the Bible very well and would quickly call me on it if I insisted they attend a "church" while at college when as far as I can tell, their needs are sufficiently met by our home church combined with their campus fellowship activities. What would my Biblical basis be for telling them, "You need to attend a group that calls itself a church each week?"

Why do we burden believers with expectations and requirements that are not found in Scripture? Why do we go beyond the instructions of Scripture, when Scripture itself instructs us, "Do not go beyond what is written"?

Israel

BANNED
Perhaps the benefit of "going to a church", going to a meeting, meetings, or any place whatsoever; work, home school, the dinner table, the movies, the ball game, vacation, or jail, is in the going in full conviction that none of these "things done" will, or does, make one any better than you "were", nor improves you, nor any better than any other you might else wise encounter there in the "doing" or going.

Nor does it increase one's acceptability to God.

Now this conviction, which may or may not be stated, expressed (verbally), or in any other way sought to be...made known, will nevertheless have a fragrance (as all convictions do) that to some will be quite refreshing, to others as repugnant as a swamp in July with a cow carcass rotting in it.

Whoever thinks they may "help themself" in choosing how they will, or should be perceived, received...or not, is dancing to a diabolical tune. As is the one who believes "his endorsement" or "his rejection and resistance" is according to his own ability to recognize and choose the good.

Are we forbidden the having of preference? God forbid.

Are we silly believing God's allowing of our preference is anything other than grace exercised toward us, as a favor done particularly for us?

God knows.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)

THAT'S THE OLD CHRISTIAN SPIRIT BROTHER.:clap: We all know if it ain't in the text, it don't apply. Ironically I have a hard time putting my finger on the exact verse that states that, but I'm sure its there. Then again, maybe there's a reason God put eyes on my head away from my heart instead of on my heart, away from my head..... Maybe.

Ravi Zacharias:

“We now learn to listen with our eyes and think with our feelings. . . . We are meant to see through the eye, with the conscience; when we start seeing with the eye devoid of the conscience, all kinds of belief can invade your imagination.”

William Blake:
This life’s dim windows of the soul Distorts the heavens from pole to pole And leads you to believe a lie When you see with, not through, the eye.​
C.S. Lewis:
I was standing today in the dark toolshed. The sun was shining outside and through the crack at the top of the door there came a sunbeam. From where I stood that beam of light, with the specks of dust floating in it, was the most striking thing in the place. Everything else was almost pitch-black. I was seeing the beam, not seeing things by it.​
Then I moved, so that the beam fell on my eyes. Instantly the whole previous picture vanished. I saw no toolshed, and (above all) no beam. Instead I saw, framed in the irregular cranny at the top of the door, green leaves moving on the branches of a tree outside and beyond that, 90 odd million miles away, the sun. Looking along the beam, and looking at the beam are very different experiences.​

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
My question is practical on several fronts:
1. There have been times in my life when my wife and I have not regularly attended "church" often due to challenges in finding a traditional local church that was Biblical. During these times, we took care to maintain fellowship with other believers, to be disciples, and to make disciples. In hindsight, these periods did not seem to negatively impact our Christian growth, testimony, or the strength of our marriage.
2. My wife and I know a number of young Christians some distance away such that we cannot personally assist them in finding a traditional church to attend regularly. These include our own college-age children and other students we have mentored or discipled. As a practical matter, I'm not to concerned whether their regular fellowship comes through a traditional church, a campus fellowship, a Bible study, or some combination of the above. Not regularly attended a traditional Church has not seemed to hold back their growth or lead to backsliding.
3. One church we recently visited has a pretty pushy message based on Hebrews 10:25 that Christians have a duty to attend church regularly and seems to reject the possibility that the instruction of Hebrews 10:25 could be meet by meeting and fellowship with other believers in different venues.
4. It is harder to find a Biblical church in 2019 than it was when I became a believer in 1989. New believers (by definition) are spiritual infants and don't have great discernment or Bible knowledge. Pressure to attend church seems like an undue burden and probably should be a lower priority than other aspects of being a new disciple such as:
A. Reading Scripture, praying, and worshiping regularly
B. Getting baptized
C. Repenting of disqualifying sins as those listed in 1 Cor 5 and Gal 5
D. Working to develop Christian character such as the qualities described in 2 Peter 1.

Yes. A number of cases.

My experience and the experiences of those close to me has caused me to doubt your premise that seems to be that there is still a good, Biblical church within an easy commute of everywhere in America. Being without a car in some places makes the effective radius of an easy commute much smaller. Further, I doubt your premise that a Christian should bother to keep looking for a traditional church meeting if their fellowship and discipleship needs are being adequately met by another group of believers that does not happen to meet in a traditional church.

Why should I tell the college students I know, "That Bible study and campus fellowship are insufficient. You need to find a real church to attend on Sunday mornings. I know you've tried all the ones within walking distance of campus and are disgusted with their approval of gay marriage and other compromises. But you should just keep expanding your search radius"?

Why should I tell new believers I know, "That group you meet with during the week is insufficient. It's great that you are reading your Bible every day and assembling with other believers for worship and Bible study. But that group is insufficient because it does not call itself a church and does not meet on Sunday."?

Are these believers perfect? Nope. But they are growing in their faith and their character. At some point, I expect the Lord will lead them to a local church that meets their needs and where they can find greater service in the Lord. But since the Bible tells us, "Do not go beyond what is written" I want to take care not to burden them beyond what Scripture itself requires.

Adding rules beyond what Scripture instructs is just more dead tradition and legalism.

It's a very heady list, yet forgive me if I overlooked the mention of "love", or if I'm wrong in my belief that without that as THE guiding principle, it really doesn't matter what else you have right, no matter where you go or how often you go, or don't go, to assemble. If you have love of God and love of your brothers as your guiding principles, the scriptures become very self explanatory. Without it, they become nothing more than is being exhibited here: a doctrinal spat of what's more right, more wrong, or what's better: hand vs. eye so to speak.

Truth is, as has been alluded to by others: If you understood this, you never would have asked the question, much less debated it.

Last edited: