Clarks Hill is coming up!

Arrow3

As of this morning it had came up to only 2.16ft below full pool. I know with today's electronics anyone can find the brush piles I make for crappie fishing but I'd rather them work to find them instead of just looking and seeing them out of the water :rofl: .

Seriously, I'm glad it's coming up and hopefully it'll come up some more before spring when everyone gets on the water . Less danger of tearing up a prop .

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
As of this morning it had came up to only 2.16ft below full pool. I know with today's electronics anyone can find the brush piles I make for crappie fishing but I'd rather them work to find them instead of just looking and seeing them out of the water :rofl: .

Seriously, I'm glad it's coming up and hopefully it'll come up some more before spring when everyone gets on the water . Less danger of tearing up a prop .
Last time we put in about a month ago, we couldn’t even use the boat ramp. Had to launch from a random spot on the bank, and then the front truck tires were 15 feet from the bank before the boat would float off the trailer. The Corps doesn’t care about the Hill. Gotta keep hartwell and Russell full, though.

Arrow3

Less then 2ft low now!

across the river

Last time we put in about a month ago, we couldn’t even use the boat ramp. Had to launch from a random spot on the bank, and then the front truck tires were 15 feet from the bank before the boat would float off the trailer. The Corps doesn’t care about the Hill. Gotta keep hartwell and Russell full, though.
They don’t keep Hartwell full either. Hartwell and The Hill were designed to fluctuate for conservation/flood control and Hartwell is actually “designed” to fluctuate more level wise that the hill. Russel is a pass through lake, and is not “designed” to fluctuate more that 5 feet from full pool. Even in winter, during a drought, etc…. Russel will be essentially full pool even if the other two are way down.

natureman

They don’t keep Hartwell full either. Hartwell and The Hill were designed to fluctuate for conservation/flood control and Hartwell is actually “designed” to fluctuate more level wise that the hill. Russel is a pass through lake, and is not “designed” to fluctuate more that 5 feet from full pool. Even in winter, during a drought, etc…. Russel will be essentially full pool even if the other two are way down.
Good description.

cowhornedspike

Lot of lakes in that stretch of river. Jocassee, Keowee, Hartwell, Russell, Hill... Sometimes there just isn't enough flow to keep them all full and still have a flowing river headed south.

across the river

Lot of lakes in that stretch of river. Jocassee, Keowee, Hartwell, Russell, Hill... Sometimes there just isn't enough flow to keep them all full and still have a flowing river headed south.
Barring a severe drought like the one in the 90s, they will have both Hartwell and the Hill at or close to full pool from around March to July or August, and then start bringing it down for the winter. How fast and far they drop from July to October can vary depending on how wet or dry it is and what work they want to do, but the level fluctuation is much more correlated to the USACE than it is rain fall. Pull up the last few years for each and you will notice a distinct difference between Russell and the other two.

deermaster13

One reason i love Russell so much is seems always full and way less boat traffic. The hill has made a good jump in water level though. little river between Wilkes and Mcduffie is full now as well. lets hope they saty that way. I like to fish the Broad river in the spring and last time I crossed it last month it was wayyy low.