Climbing Sticks

Firebug80

For you guys that use Loc Ons, what climbing sticks do you recommend. I’ve only hunted out of one Loc On several years ago and didn’t really care for it due to feeling unsafe with the smaller steps and the transition from ladder to stand. But, it does seem that Loc Ons are a little more concealed than a regular ladder so I’m willing to give it another try. This will be a permanent set up, not a mobile. I will also be using a Safety Line and a harness, but I’m looking for longevity and plenty of room for foot space. Thanks.

ssramage

Since you said it's for a permanent set up, here's what I've always done. I typically buy cheap climbing stick sets and use multiple ratchet straps in place of the ones they come with.

For straight trees, I go with something like this:

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/guide-gear-20039-rapid-climbing-sticks?a=2233048

Or this:

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/guide-gear-20039-tree-ladder?a=681075

For crooked trees:

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/guide-gear-quick-climbing-sticks-3-pack?a=686930

kayaksteve

Any of the steel stackable sticks work great and are real durable. You can usually find them on sale after deer season too. The straps are the only week point on most of them. Just make sure to keep an eye on them and probably replace them every year

Firebug80

Thanks for the input. The tree is pretty straight, so the full ladder seems to make sense. Agreed on the extra straps. I can’t trust one strap per section. Same with the stand, there will be an additional strap added. Do you feel there’s an advantage over the Loc On vs Climber considering all things equal for the tree. First branch is 25’ or so up, so I wouldn’t have to climb over or around any limbs. I have cover from surrounding trees. I just feel a climber would get a good sweat build up and more noise.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
For you guys that use Loc Ons, what climbing sticks do you recommend. I’ve only hunted out of one Loc On several years ago and didn’t really care for it due to feeling unsafe with the smaller steps and the transition from ladder to stand. But, it does seem that Loc Ons are a little more concealed than a regular ladder so I’m willing to give it another try. This will be a permanent set up, not a mobile. I will also be using a Safety Line and a harness, but I’m looking for longevity and plenty of room for foot space. Thanks.
If you use a lineman’s belt, you can get 3 hawk helium sticks that will stay put(permanent) and get you up there comfy. If you add an aider to each stick, you get another 3-5’. Probably run you $100 to your door! They also have two sided steps so No alternating.

chase870

Possum Sox
I use old extension ladders when I can. I use a combination of steps as far as climbing sticks and steps I also use screw in steps.

kayaksteve

I like some loc-ons but some of them can be tough for long sits. They’re hard to be for getting in the tree quick and quiet. I like the Cadillac version of most them for maximum comfort. I’ve also strapped a climber in the tree before with ladder sticks for a permanent stand.

cowhornedspike

There are several keys to climbing safe and feeling safe from ground to stand and back.

First is a lifeline that you are attached to all the time. It needs to be long enough to be able to attach to the tree well above your head so you can slide you safety vest strap up so there is almost no slack when you are sitting in the stand.

Second is use enough ladder sticks to get up to the level that you can simply step into the stand and not have to try to climb up into it from the top of the ladder.
I use these. They have steps on both sides all the way up. I hate alternating steps. They are 25' rather than the usual 20 and I place my stand so that the very top of the ladder is at least seat height on the stand... preferably even a little higher. Trying to get that extra foot or two higher in the tree is not worth compromising safety transitioning from the ladder to the stand.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...ng-stick?a=2112747&_br_psugg_q=climbing stick

The most dangerous part of hanging the stand from my perspective is putting the ladder sticks up. These sticks use a hook on one end of the strap which is much easier to connect that trying to thread a strap through a buckle while hanging off the side of the tree.

Third is use a stand that is easy to hang, get into, and is solid on the tree. I recommend the Millennium M100U. Easy to hang since you attach the hanging base to the tree first and then hang the stand.
I also add an additional ratchet strap from the stand base around the tree once the stand is in place and seated in by me standing on it.

uturn

As mentioned above the distance of the step or “stand-off “ the step has from the tree can be a real challenge getting your boot or toe in with a lot of them!

I hunt lock-ons almost solely and have all sorts of combos from the H type design to staggered etc and about everything in between..always tweeking my sets..install with (2) lineman belts and a lifeline to finish up and I don’t worry about a whole lot after that!

I buy what’s on sale for sticks a lot and spend my money on the seats..although I do buy what’s on sale for seats at times and put them where I believe will not be super long sit locations..if that make any sense!

Hanging sets is one of things I enjoy and do best…Enjoy!

deast1988

I’m using a Dryad Mutiny harness, I have some eastern woods “DanO” 3d printed loops. I use 250lb reflective paracord loops. I have a back woods mobile aider 2 step with an S hook.

I have experience in hunt and hangs using a saddle, so I’ve basically taken my saddle set up and converted it to a LoneWolf Custom Gear loc on. I’m using the .5 and the .75 this fall.

20in double steps with 20in cable aiders, using the back woods aider on bottom step to get right at 7ft. Then will run evenly spaced sticks up the tree to hunting height. If I moved the aider I could get 24-27ft but I’m only aiming for 14/17ft this year.

20in and 14in double steps from LWCG is my go to. I’ve used an aider and Millenium pro sticks to get to 29ft off 4 sticks in the past. Hawk helium isn’t a bad option but they can bend depending on the connection to the tree, the hawk straps are junk. They can strip out, I like ropes from custom amsteel.

cowhornedspike

I’m using a Dryad Mutiny harness, I have some eastern woods “DanO” 3d printed loops. I use 250lb reflective paracord loops. I have a back woods mobile aider 2 step with an S hook.

I have experience in hunt and hangs using a saddle, so I’ve basically taken my saddle set up and converted it to a LoneWolf Custom Gear loc on. I’m using the .5 and the .75 this fall.

20in double steps with 20in cable aiders, using the back woods aider on bottom step to get right at 7ft. Then will run evenly spaced sticks up the tree to hunting height. If I moved the aider I could get 24-27ft but I’m only aiming for 14/17ft this year.

20in and 14in double steps from LWCG is my go to. I’ve used an aider and Millenium pro sticks to get to 29ft off 4 sticks in the past. Hawk helium isn’t a bad option but they can bend depending on the connection to the tree, the hawk straps are junk. They can strip out, I like ropes from custom amsteel.

^^ This is why I don't saddle hunt. Too dang confusing. Didn't understand a single sentence there. :)

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I could barely follow along myself. But I think I w
^^ This is why I don't saddle hunt. Too dang confusing. Didn't understand a single sentence there. :)
as able to. Mine is simple, I just replaced the daisy strap and button with a cam cleat and 6’ of 3/16 amsteel and a single step aider. I have a secondary short bridge I use with an ATC for rappelling down. Prussik below the ATC lets me hang hands free for removing my platform and stick.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Coolest thing about my setup is I walk in wearing my saddle, carrying my bow on my back pack and only have my stick in my hands……not bulky at all. When I get to the base of my tree, I simply attach the stick, my tether and start climbing. I’m still new and getting better at this, but it’s pretty easy. I’ve moved several times before and have been in 3 different trees the same day. I seldom go to my leaners anymore

frankwright

Loc on's with a ladder installed make it quiet and easy to slip into a stand and not get all sweated up.
I rarely use them anymore as I have got scared in my old age but when I used them I bought the bigger ones for more comfort.
My friend has some I won't use I call them "Postage Stamp" stands.

menhadenman

Just picked up some hang on stands from campfire… do guys even mess with screw in steps anymore? I could see using them in a pine but don’t like the idea of tearing up one of my oak trees. Thinking of getting climbing sticks and there’s good advice here.

I’ve used climbers, but with young kids I’m mostly using a ladder stand and ground blind to get them out. My older two are getting to the age where I’d let them sit solo so starting to think through that transition. Thanks for the tips above.

catchdogs

Change the cables out to chain on your platforms . Have had a few break I went to replaying cable with chain no worries now. Also use a chain around the top of my lock on . Squirrels chew ratchet straps bad and if it’s going to stay in the tree for a long period of time the tree will grow and weaken your straps. Chain makes me feel a lot safer.

Latest posts