Clybel squirrels help

I live not far from clybel I have tried multiple times and haven't seen many squirrels is there a wma close to me with some better luck,
Or anyone hunt clybel frequent I could go with maybe show me a few things. I'm fairly new to hunting myself

Lilly001

Focus on water and food sources.
I’ve found first and last light are the best times but tree rats are active all day.

Hillbilly stalker

Squirrels are busy in the tops of trees now. You won’t see many on the ground. Find you a good stand of oaks or hickory and look for cuttings ( cut up nut shells or caps off of acorns). Listen a lot for falling crumbs of acorns. It is a great time of year to call squirrels, they are nosey and greedy little rascals. When you get near a tree they are feeding on, there will usually be several feeding there. Shoot one and let it lay, sit still and the others will often get back to moving in a few minutes. For a call you can rub 2 quarters together on their edges and it sounds just like a squirrel cutting…..the others will poke their head out so be watching. Don’t use a squirrel whistle, that’s an alarm sound and will put them in hiding. Check logs and any stumps sticking up for fresh cuttings. Squirrel hunting will make a better woodsman out of you than any other type of hunting I’ve found. Good luck and post some pictures for us. (y)

Big7

The Oracle
I live not far from clybel I have tried multiple times and haven't seen many squirrels is there a wma close to me with some better luck,
Or anyone hunt clybel frequent I could go with maybe show me a few things. I'm fairly new to hunting myself
I've been rambling around down there in the the part that Charlie Elliott sits in a good bit lately. (not the "big" part at the other gates)

I've seen several Deer crossing the road while driving around looking for trails that cross the roads- in other words, spots to go in at, hopefully close to one of the lake or pond parking areas.

What I have found just walking in a few hundred feet from different roads is plenty of Deer sign and all kinds of animal trails but no squirrel or rabbit. Not single one. No beds. No cuttings. No nothing.

At the "big" Clybel, earlier, looking for a place to shoot Dove, I noticed they had a LOT more seed crop planted and they put noticeably more time, effort and money in the part that lays OUTSIDE Clybel.

My advice would be if you go to Clybel for Squirrel, skip Charlie Elliott all together and go straight to the other side and get between some corn or sorghum and a creek with some hardwoods.

Just make sure you check all the dates and "quota" stuff. It's a little tricky there if you're not used to reading quota rules like was.

That area was definitely planned out and well executed. Deer should be good at Charlie and the other part of Clybel. I'm not sure about squirrel but the habitat is excellent.

Squirrels are busy in the tops of trees now. You won’t see many on the ground. Find you a good stand of oaks or hickory and look for cuttings ( cut up nut shells or caps off of acorns). Listen a lot for falling crumbs of acorns. It is a great time of year to call squirrels, they are nosey and greedy little rascals. When you get near a tree they are feeding on, there will usually be several feeding there. Shoot one and let it lay, sit still and the others will often get back to moving in a few minutes. For a call you can rub 2 quarters together on their edges and it sounds just like a squirrel cutting…..the others will poke their head out so be watching. Don’t use a squirrel whistle, that’s an alarm sound and will put them in hiding. Check logs and any stumps sticking up for fresh cuttings. Squirrel hunting will make a better woodsman out of you than any other type of hunting I’ve found. Good luck and post some pictures for us. (y)
I didnt know that about quarters thats awesome! Tried it and it does sound like it that's pretty neat man

I've been rambling around down there in the the part that Charlie Elliott sits in a good bit lately. (not the "big" part at the other gates)

I've seen several Deer crossing the road while driving around looking for trails that cross the roads- in other words, spots to go in at, hopefully close to one of the lake or pond parking areas.

What I have found just walking in a few hundred feet from different roads is plenty of Deer sign and all kinds of animal trails but no squirrel or rabbit. Not single one. No beds. No cuttings. No nothing.

At the "big" Clybel, earlier, looking for a place to shoot Dove, I noticed they had a LOT more seed crop planted and they put noticeably more time, effort and money in the part that lays OUTSIDE Clybel.

My advice would be if you go to Clybel for Squirrel, skip Charlie Elliott all together and go straight to the other side and get between some corn or sorghum and a creek with some hardwoods.

Just make sure you check all the dates and "quota" stuff. It's a little tricky there if you're not used to reading quota rules like was.

That area was definitely planned out and well executed. Deer should be good at Charlie and the other part of Clybel. I'm not sure about squirrel but the habitat is excellent.
I have been seeing alot more deer activity that's forsure I haven't hunted for deer there before because a low sign but that's one reason I'm trying out squirrel hunting I thought it would be good for some pre rifle season scouting

Hillbilly stalker

I didnt know that about quarters thats awesome! Tried it and it does sound like it that's pretty neat man
If you fool with them a little, you can cup one in the palm of your hand and take the other one and tap it right in the middle. It sounds enough like one barking that it will relax your next victim enough where he will try to sneak a peak. Then you can pop him too. (y)

Walk around until you find multiple hardwood trees near each other with fresh (still green or not dried out) cuttings under them. Hardwood trees should be mature and spread apart. Find another tree about 30-40 feet away and sit using the trunk as your back rest. Sit there for 30-40 minutes almost motionless only using binoculars to scan trees. You'll see tons of birds and eventually hopefully a squirrel. Binoculars really help.

Big7

The Oracle
Is there any truth to "calling" them to come lower out of the canopy by thumping on the trunk of the tree you suspect they are in with a small hammer or a rock?

I've heard about old- timers doing this but never actually seen anybody do it. I don't even know of any Squirrel Dogs around here. Old guy I Rabbit hunted with years ago had the little dogs for breeding but I never hunted with them.

Most of my "Squirrel hunting" has been sitting on a ridge with a 22 or walking around with a 410 or 20 just hoping to get a shot. I wouldn't mind trying it with a bona fide Squirrel man.

Hillbilly stalker

Is there any truth to "calling" them to come lower out of the canopy by thumping on the trunk of the tree you suspect they are in with a small hammer or a rock?

I've heard about old- timers doing this but never actually seen anybody do it. I don't even know of any Squirrel Dogs around here. Old guy I Rabbit hunted with years ago had the little dogs for breeding but I never hunted with them.

Most of my "Squirrel hunting" has been sitting on a ridge with a 22 or walking around with a 410 or 20 just hoping to get a shot. I wouldn't mind trying it with a bona fide Squirrel man.
We smack the tree with an aluminum tee ball bat that has bb’s in it. It doesn’t call them down tho. What it does do is make them change zip codes like a tree top ninja. :rockon: . Then the shooting starts. They hide real good when treed by a dog….so ya gotta jump start em like that sometimes, or pull a vine. Hunting with a dog will spoil you. You can go to them places where you think there aren’t any squirrels and come back with a sackful a lot of times. You need to try it a time or 2. Lots of walking.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Squirrel populations vary from year to year, too. Last year, areas around here on the NF that are usually infested with squirrels were devoid of them.