cold weather clothing system...no more bulky clothes... 2008 thread

BuckFever1613

I have been looking at new clothing for this year and thought i would bump this old thread and see if you had made any changes to your list on the first page. thanks for your help

tpcollins

Been layering this way for snow skiing for years.

#1 Chilli's (these were long before UnderArmor)
#2 Fleece (the lightweight stuff)
#3 Gortex Shell (don't skimp, this keeps you dry, and the wind out)

Your good to go after that.

Michigan winters can get a bit brutal - once I started using polypropylene underwear, fleece, and GoreTex years ago, I started staying alot warmer on stand. Last year I tried some fleece with Windshear (Cabela's version) and was comfy in the teens and single digits.

Often overlooked is head covering - the warmer you keep your head, the warmer the rest of your body will be. I'll carry some layers in my pack on the way to my stand and alot of times I'll pull my hat off to keep from overheating on the way there. Some things never change.

BlackBore

Quick tip for those who sleep under the stars during the hunting season. If you sleep in a tent or just outside on the ground Ina sleeping bag try this!

At the nights end, shovel some of those red hot coals from the campfire and toss them evenly on the ground where you intend to lye. Next out some dirt over the top of the coals, make sure they are completely covered. Now sleep comfortably over then coals all night. They will keep you warm for round 8 hours. Sleep well!

livetohunt

Quick tip for those who sleep under the stars during the hunting season. If you sleep in a tent or just outside on the ground Ina sleeping bag try this!

At the nights end, shovel some of those red hot coals from the campfire and toss them evenly on the ground where you intend to lye. Next out some dirt over the top of the coals, make sure they are completely covered. Now sleep comfortably over then coals all night. They will keep you warm for round 8 hours. Sleep well!

You must have just seen Jeremiah Johnson on AMC..

Last edited:

General P

Also using Gold bond powder in your socks and shoes will help with sweating. And for those of us like myself with {winter belly's} wal mart sells starter brand shirts that is way cheaper than UA and is made of the same stuff. And you can get it in a fitting size and not the skin tight stuff. It's just used for moisture control anyway so it don't really matter.

deadend

also using gold bond powder in your socks and shoes will help with sweating. And for those of us like myself with {winter belly's} wal mart sells starter brand shirts that is way cheaper than ua and is made of the same stuff. And you can get it in a fitting size and not the skin tight stuff. It's just used for moisture control anyway so it don't really matter.

x2!

robinsonfam1

thats a big shopping list of clothes and laundry.

i went much simpler: ECW long underwear, and artic shield bibs and coat. i can sit in 15* without any issues. a buddy led me on to them after i just couldnt stay warm no matter what.

hands: thick fleece half fingers with fold ovr mittens and a hand warmr fanny pack thing.

head: fleece balaclava, got it at wally world. works great! goes into shoulders covering neck and everything.

Feet: wool socks with wicking sock liners, up to 1200G tall rubber boots that fir rather loose for a bit more breathing.

the artic shield set was about $300 on sale at BP. boots were about $100. rest has been compiled mainly from wallyworld.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
I have been looking at new clothing for this year and thought i would bump this old thread and see if you had made any changes to your list on the first page. thanks for your help

sorry bucky, I missed your question.

no real changes, except that I finally found a good mid weight cheap pair of fleece bottoms that dont add much if any bulk. only wore these on the very coldest of days last season.

also added a cheap light weight fleece vest to wear over the UA and under everything else. this actually allowed me to go without the expedition fleece for almost all season last year.

also I edited the thread a bit cause last season I sat about 5 hours @ -2 with heavy winds with this system on. life was good:)

btw did I mention that I was lucky enough to sit in a tree in southern IL and souther IN for 108 out of 118 possible days last year???? course my broke but aint been in a tree yet:( but yeah thats about to change!

Hookedonhunting

Clothing thread resurrected! Layers, layers, layers!!!!! I know everyone has their favorite. But my question is, now that it is a year since your last comment, is anyone using a system they recommend highly? I am still hunting in Walmart purchased bibs and a bulky parka. That was fine in the years of my dad dropping me off 10 feet from the stand and picking me up at the same spot. But now I hunt in the north Ga hills and often walk a ways to get to stand. I have an Alaskan moose trip scheduled for next year so I'm thinking ahead. I'm tired of the bulk and sweating my buns off. Also tired of having to carry these things in a bag The size of an overnight bag just to get to stand. I have a buddy that swears by his wool outer layer but says it does let in wind. Is fleece the new and better wool that doesn't let in the wind? Lay it on me!

Kris87

I think wool is still a much better insulator than fleece. Use some good merino wool as your base layer, and then fleece on top of that, with a windproof shell. That should be fine for any temps down into the 20's. Merino wool is expensive, but is non itchy, can be worn as a first layer, doesn't hold body odor as much as other materials, and retains insulating properties when wet(sweat).

turkeymerck

UA 3.0 base layer half price...only in XL
http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/mens-coldgear-ua-base-30-legging/pcid1004605-001

Ace12...the 3.0 work great in N GA but only on really cold days.

i wore these last season in N GA on the coldest days and they worked great. i typically wear size L and i got an XL for the extra room. these are not the typical compression fit bottoms that most folks are familiar with...they don't 'suck' to your skin like the traditional compression fit leggings...they are MUCH more comfortable.

i get cold easy so on really cold days i would wear the 2.0 leggings (size L) under the 3.0 and i would stay toasty and no bulk with both pairs on.

sounds like the ones that are mentioned in the original post.