cold weather clothing system...no more bulky clothes... 2008 thread

PEPPERHEAD

Thanks JT. I have been thinking about this subject ever since I missed by biggest buck ever this fall due to hitting the sleeve of my heavy coat. I love hunting the midwest but this southern boy gets cold. The wind is the biggest factor. Have you ever tried the Scent Loc fleece? Looks like I need to add a few things to the Christmas list.

Sixes

Cabelas makes great windproof fleece outer layers in their Outfitter Series. Thin, warm and well worth the money.

Katera73

Thanks JT just wanted to post here so I could find the thread again easy. Went and looked at the wind proof flece at basspro other day and will be getting some for next season.

RipperIII

Fellas,
I just bought the UA compression fit uppers and lowers on sale/clearance from Orvis,...$20.00 each.
Like Jim said, it takes a little getting used to, they are snug and can be a bit claustrophobic, but if you'll wear them around the house a little at the time you get used to them.
I used that as my base, then cover with any of the mid-light weight scent-moisture wicking layers(patagonia on sale again at Orvis).
Finally, BPS red head lined fleece cargo pants and matching jacket,...that gives me 8 easily usable pockets, so back packs are rarely needed.
My feet are covered first with silk liner socks, then expedition weight wool socks, I wear uninsulated snake boots with toasty toes on top of my silk liners.
I wear a cheap wool ski mask from BPS $4.99 it is reversible from orange to camo and a camo turkey mask which is amazingly warm and wind resistant, again cheap...$4.99 it will double as a gaiter if needed.
Gloves, first UA liner gloves...$29.00, then, red head gloves uninsulated cheap, look like cotton garden gloves in camo with sticky palms, and those suckers block wind and keep in heat like nothing else I've ever tried other than some real expensive ski gloves.
I do wear a muff-style hand warmer around my waist, which doubles as my day pack, carry calls, thermos, ropes etc and stow my hands when need be.
Top layer,....leafy ghillie $19.99 BPS jacket.
For my Orange, I use my upland quail vest,...plenty of pocket storage if needed, and you can carry just about anything in the game storage pouch.
I've hunted in temps ranging from 16 degrees to 50 degrees, in this get-up and hiked in a long ways with a climber on my back and been reasonably comfortable...sometimes it is too warm.
If I expect temps to be compounded by high winds and no sunlight, then I'll add my turkey shirt over my UA , then I'll fill all of the chest pockets with hand warmers.
I hate packing in a lot of stuff, this set-up seems to allow me to carry everything that I'll need in a very easy arrangement.
The whole set-up cost my just over $100.00

whitetaco02

Thanks JT just wanted to post here so I could find the thread again easy. Went and looked at the wind proof flece at basspro other day and will be getting some for next season.

I looked at it as well. If you normally wear an XL, get an XL. I tried XXL and it was huge and had to put my hands in the pockets by my knees. :bounce:

It was extremely cofortable and I WILL have this for next year. The Realtree AP HD looked great in this set as well and will be the pattern I buy.

Perkins

This is a great thread Jim. I use pretty much the exact same clothing up there. but I will tell you this. I also take Boot Blankets with me when it's below freezing and when the wind is howling. they take a little getting use to but there is no chance of your feet getting cold. This is an excellent investment for the kids and the wife also. You can throw in a couple of hand warmers and your feet will fell like there next to the fire..all day.
As Jim said..the wind is your biggest enemy. Windproof fleece or even a thin layer of gortex rain gear on an outer layer will keep it off. again great thread Jim.

shadow2

good information.. layering is key in the cold. If it is from 32 to about 15 or so i were a set of gander mtn expedition weight base layers and a set of bibs and an insulated gor tex jacket form bass pro. with just to layers it is not to bulky and i am warm and tosty.

STIFFER HORNS

I just came from bass pro in macon this afternoon they have the expedition fleece on sale in the back. I think the jackets were 79.99 and the pants were 59.99. I got me set trying to get ready for indiana next year, trip fell thru this year:banginghe but I'm going next year! :banana:
Jim thanks for all the imputs on clothing and for the awsome "from the tree" threads.

high tech. hunter

Have read all 30 posts and like the info. I too was up in my climber for the second slug season the first week in December in S. Illinois. Cold enough for me! Makes me remember why I never went back there after HS! :crazy: All that got close enough for a shotgun slug was a basket rack 120 8 pt. for my efforts.

All I can add to what has been said is that I used to use chemical heaters all the time until I got a pair of electric socks that run on D cell batteries. Each sock has a battery pack that detaches so you carry the 2 of them with you and when you feel your feet/toes start to get cold....then snap them in on the upper calf end of your socks.

Made by ELDER HOSIERY MILLS, INC. BURLINGTON, NC www.elderhosiery.com I found mine on E-bay.
Socks are 50% thermolite, 30% wool, 14% nylon, 1% elastic. About $20. Key I found is not to walk with batteries on the socks or turn them on until you feel the cold. They even have a low and a high setting. New batteries last 7-9 hours on High and 9-11 hours on low...... if you keep them on all day long.
Note: Do not machine wash, hand wash and do not wring them out..... will break wires running down the outside of the sock to the toe. :cool:

whitetaco02

I just came from bass pro in macon this afternoon they have the expedition fleece on sale in the back. I think the jackets were 79.99 and the pants were 59.99. I got me set trying to get ready for indiana next year, trip fell thru this year:banginghe but I'm going next year! :banana:
Jim thanks for all the imputs on clothing and for the awsome "from the tree" threads.

All they had back there was M, L, XXL!!

I needed and XL!! :banginghe

STIFFER HORNS

I picked up a xl jacket last week and bought L pants today and noticed they had a big rack full of jackets didn't check sizes though. The pants were not as plentiful.:huh:

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
glad this has been some help folks.

its not rocket science for sure, but I know that we have been through enough cold days on stand and there is no need for it!

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
This is a great thread Jim. I use pretty much the exact same clothing up there. but I will tell you this. I also take Boot Blankets with me when it's below freezing and when the wind is howling. they take a little getting use to but there is no chance of your feet getting cold. This is an excellent investment for the kids and the wife also. You can throw in a couple of hand warmers and your feet will fell like there next to the fire..all day.
As Jim said..the wind is your biggest enemy. Windproof fleece or even a thin layer of gortex rain gear on an outer layer will keep it off. again great thread Jim.

eric, I actually picked up some boot blankets and they worked out well in IN

whitetaco02

I picked up a xl jacket last week and bought L pants today and noticed they had a big rack full of jackets didn't check sizes though. The pants were not as plentiful.:huh:

Yeah, I saw that. Did you get the Realtree hardwoods pattern? The regular part of the store has the Realtree AP HD.

bubbabuck

Live From The Tree
Thanks JT. I have been thinking about this subject ever since I missed by biggest buck ever this fall due to hitting the sleeve of my heavy coat. I love hunting the midwest but this southern boy gets cold. The wind is the biggest factor. Have you ever tried the Scent Loc fleece? Looks like I need to add a few things to the Christmas list.

I bought the SL BaseLayer Climafleece this year and loved it !
We set in 11degrees and wind all day with no issue......and thats with no heavy coat, coveralls, or bibbs!
Nice to be able to move !:cool: