Consolation Prize

TJay

Went down to the club during the week to see if I could find a turkey dumb enough to come within shotgun range, didn't happen. That being said we have a nice lake that's about ten or so acres and even though the water was a little stained I thought I'd see if I find some breams dumb enough to bite my hook. There is a small pocket across the lake that always has bream this time of year and I caught a nice mess of slobberknocker bream. Bream tacos are on the menu later this week!

Attachments

• IMG_2703.JPG
    IMG_2703.JPG
    346.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2704.JPG
    IMG_2704.JPG
    642.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2705.JPG
    IMG_2705.JPG
    447.3 KB · Views: 43

oldfella1962

Went down to the club during the week to see if I could find a turkey dumb enough to come within shotgun range, didn't happen. That being said we have a nice lake that's about ten or so acres and even though the water was a little stained I thought I'd see if I find some breams dumb enough to bite my hook. There is a small pocket across the lake that always has bream this time of year and I caught a nice mess of slobberknocker bream. Bream tacos are on the menu later this week!
I'm jealous! Nothing but bass biting on the lake I fish, which is about seven acres. I can't wait for bluegills & shellcrackers to "get crackin'" :LOL: so I can indulge in my favorite type of fishing. Sunfish on an ultralight can't be beat.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I`ve missed the last two full moons but rest assured I`ll be setting on a bream bed when the next comes around.

oldfella1962

I`ve missed the last two full moons but rest assured I`ll be setting on a bream bed when the next comes around.
This brings up a question, or rather a conflict in my mind: I have heard & read that full moons are the best time for spawning. But water temperature is also very important. So I guess my question would be if the water temperature is within the required range of a few degrees plus or minus would this always be whenever the full moon periods are occurring? :unsure:
In other words if I had to pick a day to fish the spawning beds, would I focus on temperature or full moon?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Those are some big ol' suckers, too.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
This brings up a question, or rather a conflict in my mind: I have heard & read that full moons are the best time for spawning. But water temperature is also very important. So I guess my question would be if the water temperature is within the required range of a few degrees plus or minus would this always be whenever the full moon periods are occurring? :unsure:
In other words if I had to pick a day to fish the spawning beds, would I focus on temperature or full moon?

Can`t speak for the rest of the South, but here in God`s Country, specks are gonna go on the bed when the water temps get above 60, shellcrackers gonna bed the full moon in March and April, redbellies and bluegills gonna bed in May. Give or take.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Can`t speak for the rest of the South, but here in God`s Country, specks are gonna go on the bed when the water temps get above 60, shellcrackers gonna bed the full moon in March and April, redbellies and bluegills gonna bed in May. Give or take.
Around here in a cooler part of the south, the crappie are the same, we don't have shellcrackers, and Bluegills and redbreasts are more like June.

TJay

I really wasn't too keen on giving it a try because I thought it was a little early. I think it's more like a bell curve, it might not be a full moon or the water might not be perfect but it doesn't mean that they won't be in there at all. The next couple of weeks leading up to the full moon should be great.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
That’s a fine catch right there!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Around here in a cooler part of the south, the crappie are the same, we don't have shellcrackers, and Bluegills and redbreasts are more like June.

Our bluegills and redbellies will also bed again in June and July. Shellcrackers might bed again too, but I`ve never found a shellcracker bed that late in the year.

Another thing I`ve learned too, on the Deep South lakes. When fishing these bream beds and you catch a small bream, have a heavy rig set up with a big hook and a cork, nothing else. Hook that little bream in the back and cast it out set about 2 feet deep, and set the rod down and go back to catching bream. Set the clicker on that bream rod though, so when a big bass grabs that hooked bream it don`t snatch your rod out of the boat.

A mixed stringer of fish makes a nice picture, and they all fry up real good. :)

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
Our bluegills and redbellies will also bed again in June and July. Shellcrackers might bed again too, but I`ve never found a shellcracker bed that late in the year.

Another thing I`ve learned too, on the Deep South lakes. When fishing these bream beds and you catch a small bream, have a heavy rig set up with a big hook and a cork, nothing else. Hook that little bream in the back and cast it out set about 2 feet deep, and set the rod down and go back to catching bream. Set the clicker on that bream rod though, so when a big bass grabs that hooked bream it don`t snatch your rod out of the boat.

A mixed stringer of fish makes a nice picture, and they all fry up real good. :)
Or stay all night, drop the depth and drink some 'coke'. If green jeans aint 'round, hook that sucker to a bush hook. ::gone:

oldfella1962

I see. As long as nobody is bedding in June in the Augusta area. It's too hot to fish in June, unless it's first thing in the morning. In the lake I fish the most the bass are still on their beds, so I'm thinking by the May full moon (May 5 according to the chart) the shellcrackers should be bedding. The bass better hustle, there's only so much sand bottom bedding real estate in the small lake.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I see. As long as nobody is bedding in June in the Augusta area. It's too hot to fish in June, unless it's first thing in the morning. In the lake I fish the most the bass are still on their beds, so I'm thinking by the May full moon (May 5 according to the chart) the shellcrackers should be bedding. The bass better hustle, there's only so much sand bottom bedding real estate in the small lake.

If they`re bedding here, they`re bedding there too. Get out there then and catch you a mess of bream.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Whether with my fly rod or UL, brims are number one on my list. And I’m not above throwing a little meat to them once in a while either.

oldfella1962

If they`re bedding here, they`re bedding there too. Get out there then and catch you a mess of bream.
Shellcrackers spawn while bass spawn? Do they spawn in deeper water? I'm asking because the bass are still on beds in about two feet of water, some a bit deeper like four feet or so. The lake I fish is pretty clear if that helps, with no rocks or gravel but some sandy areas where the bass beds are. Granted there could be sandy areas in deeper water than I can't see into from shore.