Coon Setup Question

swm

After reading GON trapping article last year I purchased DP coon traps and have had good success removing coons & possums. My purchase included 7x7 5/64 DP cable extensions that I wrap around tree base and connect to trap via threaded link.

Yesterday caught a coon at 2:15am, had several trailcam pics of him in trap but by 4am coon, trap & cable were gone. Guess cable somehow broke after no issues past 9 months. Cable was not frayed and feel bad there's a coon out there with some extra baggage.

Question – I’m new to trapping, should this type cable be used to secure DP coon trap or something else?

Appreciate any advice from the experts. Thanks

sportsman94

has the cable been left out the whole time? Seems like a strange occurrence, but anything can happen. The cable could have started rusting from the inside and he could have kinked it just right. I use 1/8” for most everything involving cable on my line

swm

has the cable been left out the whole time? Seems like a strange occurrence, but anything can happen. The cable could have started rusting from the inside and he could have kinked it just right. I use 1/8” for most everything involving cable on my line
I don't leave traps or cables outside except when in use. No rust showing on cables they're still shiny. Caught another coon this morning and no issues. I appreciate the info!!

dfurdennis

After reading GON trapping article last year I purchased DP coon traps and have had good success removing coons & possums. My purchase included 7x7 5/64 DP cable extensions that I wrap around tree base and connect to trap via threaded link.

Yesterday caught a coon at 2:15am, had several trailcam pics of him in trap but by 4am coon, trap & cable were gone. Guess cable somehow broke after no issues past 9 months. Cable was not frayed and feel bad there's a coon out there with some extra baggage.

Question – I’m new to trapping, should this type cable be used to secure DP coon trap or something else?

I don't use cables I usually just use 1/2" rebar about 18" long and drive it through the swivel but it's different for everyone. I would think the cable would be more than strong enough but any animal in a trap has a strong will to survive so you never know.

cj580guitar

I use cable extensions on all my DP traps. I’ve never had one break. The first ones I used were 7x7 3/32 and they were twisted badly after a catch so I switched to 7x7 1/8 cable and never had an issue after that.

swm

I use cable extensions on all my DP traps. I’ve never had one break. The first ones I used were 7x7 3/32 and they were twisted badly after a catch so I switched to 7x7 1/8 cable and never had an issue after that.
Good to know, thinking now something unusual occurred with that one cable. Really appreciate the update

Doug B.

I've said this on here before, a coon is just a different kind of somebody. No other animal tears up a set as bad as a coon. They roll, dig, climb, twist, tangle, and all kinds of other things, then they get serious and really go crazy!!!
To me 5/64 is too small for coons. I have used Wolf Fangs with 3/32 cable but all the cable was in the ground. If I tie it to something it would definitely be 1/8.
Also, make sure you have enough good working swivels cause with a coon there is a real good chance that most of the swivels will get clogged.

swm

I've said this on here before, a coon is just a different kind of somebody. No other animal tears up a set as bad as a coon. They roll, dig, climb, twist, tangle, and all kinds of other things, then they get serious and really go crazy!!!
To me 5/64 is too small for coons. I have used Wolf Fangs with 3/32 cable but all the cable was in the ground. If I tie it to something it would definitely be 1/8.
Also, make sure you have enough good working swivels cause with a coon there is a real good chance that most of the swivels will get clogged.
Good advice & will do!! Thanks

miller

I just use a 3/8 rebar stake driven into the ground. Does no one else do this, works just fine for me. My ground is soft enough to drive it in though.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
I tie mine off using 14 gauge wire to a sapling, never had one break it, had a few pull outs though.

A coon is like a little bear, really powerful for their size

sleepr71

They ain’t nothing a coon can’t tear up given a little time.

I made some simple “box” traps a while back,so I could catch some that were being nuisances at our Lake place. I made the “door” of it out of Hardware Cloth,because I ran out of the heavier stuff. First time I caught one..from somewhere between midnight,and 7am when I got up..that joker had chewed a hole(through the Hardware cloth) big enough to get out! It would have taken me 5 minutes,with wire cutters to do what he did. I gained a new level of respect for Trash Pandas..;)

CritterCatcher

Was there a catch circle at all? If not, you might want to consider the possibility of human intervention.