How to...JT's bow setup...Part two

hoytslanger87

The guy that tuned my bow actually has a pretty interesting thread on archerytalk about the way grip can effect broadhead flight. I never knew it could make that much difference.

I am going to do my best to replicate Reo grip from that pic this should get interesting haha

LipRip'r

That's actually pretty similar to my grip, with the pressure predominantly on the thumb pad. I just bring my index finger on around tip to tip lightly with thumb so it feels more secure...maybe in doing that I'm torquing

MossyCreek

With all this bareshaft and grip pressure talk I decided to go and recheck my spyder turbo I tuned recently and Id say they are flying pretty dang close to the same....

This was at 20 yards. Even went straight down through the shock collar and busted it open. Nock shattered!

mms_picture (4).jpg

Tank1202

Good shooting Mossycreek, next time send a broadhead down range with it. Then you will know "all" are good....But your wallet will be lighter.LOL
Great info Kris, thanks.

BornToHuntAndFish

Great job, Kris. You sure are making JT a happy camper for the upcoming season.

deer1.gif

Brewskis

The different types of grips and grip pressures can be confusing when first trying to learn them. I think that would make for a great thread Kris. Showing everyone the most forgiving grips for different bows/cam systems.

That's a great thread idea. It's taken some time to adjust my grip after switching to the Elite Energy 35 this year. I did a lot of reading (mostly cryptic descriptions/explanations on the internet) and trial-and-error, but a thread with a lot of photos probably would have sped up the process.

Thanks for the other 'how-to' threads, Kris.

C Cape

Great thread Kris with some great info for the guys that may be thinking of some DIY Tuning. Pretty much the same methods I use to setup a Hoyt bow. I have noticed the Faktor's and new Carbon Hoyts are liking the cams with the draw stops hitting very close to the same. My Z5 cam Pro Edge is the same also.

Like Kris said bareshaft flight is very very sensitive to a shooters grip and some bows bareshaft tune easier than others. The only downside to a Binary Cam bow IMO is that you are limited to moving the rest in/out unless shimming the cams. With a Hybrid cam you have the luxury of having Yokes on the buss cable to move the center shot.

Cole Henry

Not to be off topic but looking at Reo's anchor point at how low it is, almost to his chin for example. Is this the proper and correct anchor point? I personally shoot with a much higher anchor point which is pretty much corner of string to slightly below corner of mouth. Which this brings my peep much closer to string loop. Is this a problem or are anchor points not necessarily an issue as long as you can consistantly replicate it each time?

Kris87

Not to be off topic but looking at Reo's anchor point at how low it is, almost to his chin for example. Is this the proper and correct anchor point? I personally shoot with a much higher anchor point which is pretty much corner of string to slightly below corner of mouth. Which this brings my peep much closer to string loop. Is this a problem or are anchor points not necessarily an issue as long as you can consistantly replicate it each time?

You will frequently see low anchor points like that on target archers. I consider Jesse Broadwater's form to look perfect in about every way, and his anchor is probably lower than Reo's. A low anchor like this helps keep the release arm in the proper position, proper direction, and it keeps the back shoulder down. If you've ever heard people having issues holding low on target, and calling it target panic, it's more related to how high tha back shoulder is. GRIV is the expert on this, he did some good videos recently for Last Chance Archery. Try and find those and give them a look. He does a very simple explanation of proper release arm/shoulder position.

Cole Henry

You will frequently see low anchor points like that on target archers. I consider Jesse Broadwater's form to look perfect in about every way, and his anchor is probably lower than Reo's. A low anchor like this helps keep the release arm in the proper position, proper direction, and it keeps the back shoulder down. If you've ever heard people having issues holding low on target, and calling it target panic, it's more related to how high tha back shoulder is. GRIV is the expert on this, he did some good videos recently for Last Chance Archery. Try and find those and give them a look. He does a very simple explanation of proper release arm/shoulder position.

Great thanks

C Cape

Figured I would check my bareshaft flight on my E35 today since I haven't messed with it much and report the findings on here since we had been talking about bareshaft tuning some.

The test subject is a 28/67* Elite Energy 35 shooting 429 Gr Easton Deep 6 FMJ 400's at 281 FPS. It has a set of ThreadZ custom strings and the cams are timed perfectly. I honestly think a 330 would bareshaft a touch better but the weight on the 400's is right where I want to be.

Starting out the bow was shooting a perfect bullet hole through paper with the rest set slightly nock high which resulted in this bareshaft flight at 17 yards.

I adjusted the rest slightly to the right and obtained this at 17 yards.

Next I moved to 30 yards which is just about as far as I can shoot in the shop resulting in this flight.

That was the result in the 3-4 groups I shot with the bareshaft shooting slightly nock low. I could lower the rest just a fuzz and straighten it up but I don't want to go any lower since it's already nock high slightly. In my findings a stiffer shaft would get normally get rid of this as well but I feel this is still pretty solid and will have no problem allowing me to shoot any broadhead out of this setup. Hope this might help someone in bareshaft tuning your setup. If you have any questions feel free to PM me or I'm sure Kris would be more than willing to help as well.

Also, I will say bareshaft tuning a hybrid cam bow is a whole different bag of tricks. Adjusting cam sync and Yoke tuning are extremely helpful when bareshaft tuning a hybrid cam bow but will require a bow press to do so.

Kris87

Good shooting. What did the centershot end up with you moving the rest inside like that?

C Cape

Good shooting. What did the centershot end up with you moving the rest inside like that?

Just under 3/4". About inline with most of the 35's I have setup. Some have been a touch closer.