Cossawattee WMA

Mac

I post a thread a few days ago about:
I saw that last year the quota was 35 hunters. This year 100 hunters on
2040 Acres?

DNR has not updated the board it still has last year's information.

So Yesterday My Wife and I rode up to take a look at the place, a two-hour drive, I was considering applying for the hunt with my son. Also was going to do the Specialty Hunt to get familiar with the area.

Honestly, I see no way 100 folks could hunt that property!!! The majority is clear-cut or 15-foot planted pines that are so thick you can't see 20 feet.
The roads are in good shape with new gravel and piping at drainage areas.

The dove field needs about another month before the sunflowers will be mature and brown. I did not see any doves.

I called the number listed in the regs and asked about camping, the lady said it was allowed, but I did not see anywhere that folks had camped in the past or anywhere I would camp.

I did see a handful of spots that looked good, but I imagine those spots will look good to everyone that is drawn. LOL

Good luck to the folks who apply for this hunt I will burn my points in another direction.

I got drawn. I am also leery of 100 shooters. I am almost certain that no camping is allowed on the Ball Ground tract.

hunter_463

I was drawn as well. I have hunted this property most of my life and know it pretty well. the clear cuts don't bother me and there is plenty of room for everyone. Alot of folks hunt the edge of the clear cuts or find the trees standing in the middle of the thick stuff and put a stand up to catch them going from one spot to the next. Also look for old road beds in the middle of the thickets and find you a decent straight away and catch them crossing or grazing on the grass in the road beds.

I scouted up there a few times during bow season last year. Wasn't crowded during archery season every time I was there.

I found one really good scrape, but I also found a blood trail where someone must have shot a deer there just a couple of days before.

I've checked out a lot of the perimeter, but need to scout the middle more. It's very different from anywhere else I have ever hunted. I'm just hoping to get somewhere safe and get a crack at a biggin'.. I don't really see anywhere on the map you can keep from getting walked in on...

Saw 11 does, no bucks. Never shot at anything. I only probably heard 15-20 shots over the course of ~25 hours hunted over the 3 days.

Heard there was a nice 9 pointer shot the first morning.

Does anyone have anything to report from Coosawattee?

oldfatbubba

Saw 11 does, no bucks. Never shot at anything. I only probably heard 15-20 shots over the course of ~25 hours hunted over the 3 days.

Heard there was a nice 9 pointer shot the first morning.

Does anyone have anything to report from Coosawattee?
The DNR has not yet posted results from the Nov 10 - Nov 12 quota hunt. When they do, I will add it to the report I maintain for the users of this forum. For those who haven't seen it, here's a LINK.