Country Ham

sportsman94

Any of you fellas eat the traditional country hams? I cured a ham back in August. Left it in the fridge salted down for two days per pound. Took it out and put it in the smoker for 3-4 days with cold smoke only. Took it out of there and it’s been on the counter ever since. I sliced a piece and fried it after a week or two on the counter. It was tough and salty just like I would expect. Had a good ham flavor to me. I didn’t die, so that was positive feedback, but I also know nothing about country hams. Is my description right of taste and consistency? How about color/looks? Is this what country ham is supposed to look like? I’ve never seen one or had one so have nothing to compare it to. Thanks

IMG_8892.jpeg

jaydawg

Sounds about right…I’m from Virginny and grew up with traditional country ham n red eye gravy…not necessarily always tough, though…we always sliced ours thin which can make a difference…I loved my grandmothers homemade biscuits, topped with country ham, fried eggs n red eye gravy…dang now I’m hongry!

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
We had a few Papaw did up and looks and sounds like his, salt n smoke.

We cut ours thin as well, farm to table, miss that

sportsman94

Maybe that was my problem. Not thin enough slices. I’m guessing as it ages the enzymes will probably make it more tender as well. Thanks for the input guys!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Making real country ham isn't a short-term process. It is a process of at least a year, sometimes two, to get the desired finished product.

Most of them traditionally are either cured about a couple months wrapped in paper and a cotton bag and hung hock-down to drain, or sunk in a box of salt for a couple months, then rinsed off, painted with a mixture of brown sugar, water, black and red pepper, with a bunch of pepper packed into the hock joint and around the ball joint to keep bugs out, then re-hung in a cotton bag to sweat and age for several more months, up to a year or two before slicing and eating. The time aging makes a big difference in flavor and tenderness. You also usually have to soak the slices before eating.

sportsman94

Making real country ham isn't a short-term process. It is a process of at least a year, sometimes two, to get the desired finished product.

Most of them traditionally are either cured about a couple months wrapped in paper and a cotton bag and hung hock-down to drain, or sunk in a box of salt for a couple months, then rinsed off, painted with a mixture of brown sugar, water, black and red pepper, with a bunch of pepper packed into the hock joint and around the ball joint to keep bugs out, then re-hung in a cotton bag to sweat and age for several more months, up to a year or two before slicing and eating. The time aging makes a big difference in flavor and tenderness. You also usually have to soak the slices before eating.
Thanks @NCHillbilly. I read when I started that they will develop more complex flavor the longer they sit. A lot of what I was reading said someone who isn’t used to country ham may want to go for a shorter age because the taste can get pretty strong the longer it ages. I’ve got another one curing in salt right now. It’s a fun experiment when you get past the concern of doing something wrong and getting botulism

TJay

I was hunting up in Kentucky in November and there was a local who showed up selling his country hams. There is a country ham festival every year in Cadiz and this guy either wins or comes in second just about every year. He raises the hogs, slaughters and butchers them and cures them himself. Kind of an artisan if you will. His hams cure for two years and he was selling them for $100 apiece. I was really tempted but while I like country ham I don't love it and I'm not sure how my wife would like it and it would be a LOT of ham for just me. Sure wish he'd of had samples though.