Coyotes coming to call?

fishman1957

Had a big ole bobcat come in on us a few years ago when it turned to come in on us it looked like a 100 lb leopard.........................

DSGB

Had two come running in from behind me several years ago in Alabama. We saw each other at the same time and they were gone before I could get the gun on them.

Called in a fair size bobcat the other day.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Ive had them come. never killed one while turkey hunting.

Saturday morning
I didn't call it in. I saw some hens in a field. I slipped up to the edge and sat down. I was giving it a few minutes to see if I could hear a gobble. Coyote comes trotting up thru the pasture. She got up to the edge of the rise and started creeping. In a few minutes she came back. I had the safety off at one point but she didn't come close enough. After she left I moved around the field hens had moved on.

furtaker

I have but its been a couple seasons also have more run in with bobcats over the years. Had a buddy get jumped on from behind by a bobcat while calling a turkey came around the tree and got his hand that he was working the pot call with. Happened in Schley County about 10 years ago.
:hair:

deerpoacher1970

The scientists have dug around in the coyotes’ doo doo and they can tell us with certainty there is no impact whatsoever from the brush wolf.

Moral of the story; never listen to a man that digs around in doo doo.
If Dr Mike says coyote's don't bother the turkeys it had got be true.

buckpasser

And that’s pretty much what he’s said based on his research regarding predation. Not said that a coyote won’t ever take an adult turkey, just that bobcats, GH owls and us are far more significant.

I’ve shot and killed two coyotes that rushed my location while turkey hunting over the years, but I’ve personally never seen a bobcat or GHO go for my decoy. So, based on personal experience in my hunting area and the evidence presented in this thread, it’s apparent, at least to me, that turkey doc is off base on this one. Coyotes don’t waste energy by pursuing prey they have little or no chance at. We’re encountering them on turkey hunts because they are successfully keying in on turkeys, period.

Turkeytider

I’ve shot and killed two coyotes that rushed my location while turkey hunting over the years, but I’ve personally never seen a bobcat or GHO go for my decoy. So, based on personal experience in my hunting area and the evidence presented in this thread, it’s apparent, at least to me, that turkey doc is off base on this one. Coyotes don’t waste energy by pursuing prey they have little or no chance at. We’re encountering them on turkey hunts because they are successfully keying in on turkeys, period.
Certainly entitled to that opinion. At least in the case of the GHO, the fact that you’ve not seen one attack a decoy on the ground during or around daylight may have something to do with how and when GHO’s hunt. Dr. Chamberlain’s never said that a coyote won’t take an adult turkey, just that their research indicates that the turkey does not appear to constitute a major part of the coyote diet.

buckpasser

Certainly entitled to that opinion. At least in the case of the GHO, the fact that you’ve not seen one attack a decoy on the ground during or around daylight may have something to do with how and when GHO’s hunt. Dr. Chamberlain’s never said that a coyote won’t take an adult turkey, just that their research indicates that the turkey does not appear to constitute a major part of the coyote diet.

Think about it a different way. Anyone with half a brain realizes that turkeys do not make up a major percentage of a coyote’s diet. Even in the good times, turkeys numbers would be extinguished if they were a staple. That still doesn’t mean that coyotes are not a major predator for wild turkeys, it just means that they eat other things most of the time. Common sense seems to be ignored when citing this research.

As for the decoy deal, I’m under the impression that owls hunt a lot during the predawn hours, so I’ve spent quite a bit of prime owl hunting time watching a hen decoy that has never been attacked. Maybe someone here on the forum has witnessed an owl attack, but I personally have not.

Permitchaser

Went youth opening and took my Savage AR cause we’ve seen Coyotes after our Turkeys and I couldn’t carry a shotgun
We where calling and got up to move to another spot as we came around some brush we spotted this Coyote, we where still in face mask and gloves and I still had a call in my mouth so I kept calling. I dropped down unzipped my case, pulled my AR out and set it up on it’s bipod the Coyote was still there and coming. When it turned facing me I shot. My 77 grain BTH went from front to back. DRT. My grandson got tickled and said Papa you where in your sniper mode
7AE3F896-32EB-48C3-A2F5-613A38AD3E41.jpeg

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Yes, over the years several times and so far I'm 0 fer. facepalm: I've had both red and gray foxes come right to me.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Yes, over the years several times and so far I'm 0 fer. facepalm: I've had both red and gray foxes come right to me.

In the past if I didn't think I had a kill shot on a coyote when it came into turkey call then busted me and ran I wouldn't take a shot.
Now I just shoot at em anyway.
I figure if I don't hit it maybe it'll think twice about hunting a turkey sound next time.
A coyote that sneaks into us reproducing hen sounds is probably hunting turkey often.
So elfiii if your 0 for whatever I still think your helpin the turkey flock!!