Crd meeting tonight! Voice leaving our inshore possession limits alone!

PaulD

Banned
Sorry I was late on the information trigger with this guys but I hope some fisherman show up and tell CRD to do better research and leave our trout, redfish, flounder, and tripletail fishery alone! Notice in the article 2 points. 1.) It definately sounds like Spud wants to tighten up limits base on his comment about stock counts being off due to S.C. and Florida being included with ours. I mean, the snapper closer info was known to be bad and he supported shuting it down cause it was in his favor.
2.) they DO NOT want offshore closures discussed.

DNR TO HOST MEETING FOR SALTWATER ANGLERS
BRUNSWICK (December 4, 2009) – Interested in redfish, speckled seatrout, Spanish mackerel, spot or weakfish
(summer trout)? If so, please plan to attend a meeting at Holton's Restaurant in Midway, Georgia at 6:30 pm on
Monday, December 14, 2009. Staff from the Coastal Resources Division (CRD) of the Georgia Department of
Natural Resources (DNR) will present information about recent activities of the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries
Commission (ASMFC) and how those activities will affect management of the aforementioned fish species in
Georgia. Staff will also present a report on the results of the Peach State Reds Initiative.
At the November 2009 annual ASMFC meeting, Addendum IV to the Interstate Fishery Management Plan for
Weakfish was approved in response to a recent peer-reviewed stock assessment that shows Atlantic Coast populations
are at extremely low levels. Georgia has no directed commercial fishery for weakfish and recreational anglers rarely
target the species. In 2008, the estimated harvest of weakfish in Georgia was just under 6,000 fish. However, in an
effort to support the coast-wide recovery of weakfish, Georgia is required to change the weakfish maximum daily
creel/possession limit from six fish to one fish. The creel/possession limit is set in law so it will take action by the
Georgia legislature to make this change.
Also during the November meeting, the ASMFC South Atlantic State-Federal Fisheries Management Board approved
the Public Information Document (PID) for an Omnibus Amendment to the Interstate Fishery Management Plans
for Spanish Mackerel, Spot and Spotted Seatrout. The PID and subsequent amendment are being developed to
update the three management plans to include compliance measures and other standards since all three plans are
voluntary in nature and lack standards that were developed in response to the Atlantic Coastal Fisheries Cooperative
Management Act. This action, if approved, will not result in any changes to state fishing regulations for these three
species in the foreseeable future. The PID can be obtained via the ASMFC website at www.asmfc.org under Breaking
News.
The Atlantic Coast red drum population is divided into a North Region (NC and north) and a Southern Region (SC,
GA and FL-East Coast) for interstate management purposes. During 2009, a peer-reviewed stock assessment of
Atlantic Coast red drum was conducted through the Southeast Data Assessment and Review (SEDAR) process.
Several scientists from CRD participated in this stock assessment. The results were presented to ASMFC in
November.
The stock assessment model was considered to be informative only about the relative, not absolute, trends in
immature red drum abundance and harvest for the Southern Region. Therefore, only general conclusions about
trends in stock status could be provided. Despite these limitations, the stock assessment team and independent
reviewers concluded that sufficient numbers of young fish are surviving to move offshore and join the adult
spawning population, indicating that overfishing is likely not occurring. However, they advised that given the
uncertainty of the results, management measures not be liberalized. Given these findings, the ASMFC did not
initiate any changes to the management program at this time.
Spud Woodward, Coastal Resources Division director commented, “The results of the recent Atlantic Coast red
drum stock assessment leave Georgia in an interesting position. We have scientific advice that says we are not
overfishing in the Southern Region, but we also know that the stock assessment used as the basis for this advice was
greatly influenced by inputs from South Carolina and Florida, both of which have more restrictive management
than Georgia. We hope that anglers will share their thoughts and ideas about the status of our red drum population
so we can take appropriate action going forward.”
One tool used for managing red drum in some Southeastern states is the release of hatchery-reared fish. Should
Georgia being doing likewise? Over the past 5 years, the Coastal Resources Division has completed the Peach State
Reds Initiative – a research project to help determine if redfish stocking can be a cost-effective and ecologically
sound fishery management tool for Georgia. Through the Peach State Reds Initiative, over one million red drum
fingerlings were released in the Wassaw estuary. An overview of this project and the results will be presented at the
December 14th meeting.
“Anglers have a valuable and unique perspective on the status of our fish populations, and we strive to provide them
with opportunities to share this perspective. However, at this meeting, we want to focus on interstate fishery
management issues related to red drum, spotted seatrout, and other species and not federal fishery topics like red
snapper,” commented Woodward.

capt stan

What did ya find out Mark?

On another topic, I sent a few guys your way not to long ago, hope they got in touch with ya.

brailediver

I found out about the meeting too late to respond. Everyone with a GA fishing license should have received a notice in the mail!

PaulD

Banned
But they didn't, like usual!!!! It took me 10 minutes on the CRD website to find it. God forbid any fisherman show up to these things! Then they might not be able to scew us so hard! :shoot::shoot::shoot: My blood is just boiling this morning due to idiots and junk like this. I appologize if I'm a little ruff. I've just had enough.

brailediver

Maybe some one that attended could fill us in.
It's a shame they leave us out of the loop just to make sure Paul doesn't show up!:D

PaulD

Banned
:shoot::shoot::shoot: Not my fault they don't understand their own research.
I had very pressing issues to deal with last night at 7:00 or you bet I would have been there. Nothing like a monday night public meeting to keep folks from showing up.

PaulD

Banned
Yes, in little tiny letters way over on the side!!!!! 2 links away.

:shoot::shoot::shoot:

I know you'll be happy when it's all no keep, just hang in there, it'll be that way real soon.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Yes, in little tiny letters way over on the side!!!!! 2 links away.

:shoot::shoot::shoot:

I know you'll be happy when it's all no keep, just hang in there, it'll be that way real soon.

I agree with your concern about what is happening,but to be fair,everything on their front page is small. And ,had I wanted to find out about the meeting, I would have had no problem locating the announcement.

Steve762us

Did anyone attend?

It was actually publicized in our local paper, and I've have gone--but I had a med appt in Freakville that afternoon, and it would have been a 125 mile run in an hour or so.

"Dat's mah eggs's cues!" :yeah:

If things are as dire as they sound, we really are going to have to start showing up at these hearings.

Inshore GA

The CRD of DNR meeting held last night was attended by at least 50 concerned salt water fishermen. This is said to be the first of many meetings with the public...the next is to be in the Spring of 2010.

Spud did a good job at explaining how GA is a part of the South Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission. GA fish are controled by SASMFC through studies in GA, SC,and east coast FL.
Studies on the weakfish aka summer trout show a severe reduction in bio-mass thus causing a reduction in the current creel limit of 6 to 1 fish per day.
The Speckeled Trout, red fish, spanish mackerel and spot populations seem to be doing well and holding their own. It was mentioned that the Red Drum was to under go a benckmark assesment..."SEDAR 18" South East Data Assesment & Review.

Doug Haymans gave a run down on the Peach State Reds Inatitave. The study hactery reared and sucessfully realeased over 1 million half inch long reds over the last 5 years. The results so far show that the released fish make up about 1% of fin clips taken so far. I believe Doug said that 5-10 clips were from this group of stocked fish. The fish in Ga seem to be traveling further than the studies in SC show.

Many comments and questions were discussed but as of now no changes in limits on speckled trout or reds.

At the end of the meeting a survey was asked to be completed by all attending.
The survey asked if you would be in favor of :

changing the limits on red-fish in4-5 different ways (cant recall all the length and numbers of fish)

changing the limits on speckled trout in 4-5 different ways

Having a boat limit of 5 triple tail per day keeping the 2 per person limit.

And if you would be in favor of game fish status on Speckeled Trout, Red-fish, flounder, shark, whiting, tarpon and a few other inshore species.

I think if the fish are doing good with the limits in place... Why change them?
I'll be lookin for info on the next meeting and will let yall know!

PaulD

Banned
I think if the fish are doing good with the limits in place... Why change them?
I'll be lookin for info on the next meeting and will let yall know!

Special interest.

Thanks. I've very tied up but if I have information I'll be there.

I also want to say KUDOS on the stocking efforts and I would really like to see more fish being stocked! Great job on that.

Increase our fish and better our fisheries. Don't take fishing rights away.

seaweaver

Doug Haymans gave a run down on the Peach State Reds Inatitave. The study hactery reared and sucessfully realeased over 1 million half inch long reds over the last 5 years. The results so far show that the released fish make up about 1% of fin clips taken so far. I believe Doug said that 5-10 clips were from this group of stocked fish.

and these samples where from the freezers located inshore of Wassaw sound?....where they are released?
Likely...

cw

Steve762us

Doug Haymans gave a run down on the Peach State Reds Inatitave. The study hactery reared and sucessfully realeased over 1 million half inch long reds over the last 5 years. The results so far show that the released fish make up about 1% of fin clips taken so far. I believe Doug said that 5-10 clips were from this group of stocked fish. The fish in Ga seem to be traveling further than the studies in SC show.

Is "1% of fin clips" a good thing? Or the "5-10 clips"? Not familiar with what exactly is being said there...

PaulD

Banned
No, it's not a good thing.
How every other state around us can run a successful stocking program and we can't seem to get the ball in the court is beyond me. Somehting is going wrong with it to. Either poor exicution or poor follow up. Either way it's on the CRD.

Inshore GA

The fin clips came from mostly trammel net surveys done by the DNR. Fin clip kits were given to many anglers but very few were turned in. Doug said that more particapation would have given more info for the study. The fish didn't have to die...just clip a small piece of his pectorial fin and release it. Clips had to come from the Wassaw sound area.

Steve762us

Ah...let me see if I'm understanding this--DNR issued "clip kits" for recreational anglers to send in tissue samples from reds they catch--and DNR checks the samples (DNA, eh?) to see if they were State-stocked fish?