Creating deer highways

Hunter922

Not wanting to hijack the Off Season project post, I'll show our yearly project here. We have been cutting wide lanes in privet choked bottoms on my property for 6-8 years now. This property in most places is thick and some so thick it can't be hunted. This is a bow only property and I try to lead the deer where they want to go and by stands i want them to travel by getting there. In most cases they are already traveling near the area we cut in so it is just an easier way for them to get there.. Here are a few pixs leading from a fallowed field through a choked creek bottom. They are beating the ground to dirt and using this one heavily. We have done this on other areas of the property and it really works on our suburban deer..1.jpg1.5.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

Last edited:

Triple C

Good job! I did the same this morn after mowing my clover. I keep a couple lanes mowed in my thinned pines leading out of a hardwood draw and into a large field. Mowed one of the paths this morn. Most of the deer coming into this field from that end will enter and exit on the mowed path.

Hunter922

Good job! Now, figure out a couple of stand sites for different wind directions!

Stands are already up ( North and South set) ...That is my First step in the process..pick the tree, lead them to where u need them.

buckpasser

Ive had limited success with this technique for mature bucks due to the trails becoming so popular to dogs, coyotes, and bobcats. I’m glad it’s working well for you. I’ve had some luck not tying the ends into a field or convenient spot for predators to get on them to start with.

Hunter922

Ive had limited success with this technique for mature bucks
We have had some great deer on these trails chasing and following does. More than a few on the wall , some in the catch and release program..

frankwright

I have been cutting trails to my stand locations for many years. It did not take me long to start making the trails go past the stand upwind and continue a ways. I don't think I have ever had one not taken over by the deer.

XJfire75

I have some thick 12-15’ y’all pine rows that I’m gonna get after in a few weeks with a brush blades weed whacker and spray some round up to give them a “path of least resistance”. I found their trails coming out of a creek bottom cutting across the pine hill in set up on so I’m gonna clear a few spots to catch movement down in there and then open a path or 2 upwind of my set. It looks very similar to yours.

Good job sir

Long Cut

Ive had limited success with this technique for mature bucks due to the trails becoming so popular to dogs, coyotes, and bobcats. I’m glad it’s working well for you. I’ve had some luck not tying the ends into a field or convenient spot for predators to get on them to start with.

My experiences as well. I’ve seen mature bucks parallel down wind or cross trails such as these, especially during the rut.
Hunting a true mature buck is altogether different than a doe or younger buck. They’re loners

buckpasser

My experiences as well. I’ve seen mature bucks parallel down wind or cross trails such as these, especially during the rut.
Hunting a true mature buck is altogether different than a doe or younger buck. They’re loners

Walk trails, fire breaks, lanes etc, during deer season and you’ll see tracks galore. Keep walking and you’ll notice those big heavy tracks mostly just cross it. I’ve had to let a dump truck load of big boys get away from me for not offering a clear shot because they just won’t step out there. Sometimes it looks like a silent go devil boat pushing through that brush just to stay concealed. Then again, sometimes they pop right out and walk it like it’s midnight...