Cremation or Burial?

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
Does God really care?

:huh:

Havana Dude

My opinion is he cares for your soul and that is it. I could care less what my wife does with my carcass when I kick. Throw it in the dumpster for all I care.

golffreak

I don't believe so. I've told my wife to not allow my burial to be a financial burden on her or anyone else.

christianhunter

If I understand correctly,from the laws and/or traditions of the Jewish.To be burned is reserved for the unclean.Whether or not it is reserved or expected from Christians,yet remains through study.I will point out,as Christians we are grafted in with the children of Israel.Do their Laws apply to us?
The Ten Commandments do!
As far as those Christians who have been,or will be cremated.They will not go to Hel l,they may lose a reward in Heaven.There is Scripture,several verses concerning the burning of unclean things.It is also a well known fact that funeral pyres were conducted by pagans in history.This will make for a good,and hopefully informative discussion.

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
I hear ya Ch. In all honesty, I would love to save my wife several thousand dollars by me being cremated rather than the ol chemical cleansing...... but I need to be sure that God will approve of it.It's important to me that God get what He wants. I don't care to stretch His grace in this matter. Cremation has not ever been a continuing practice of God's people at any time in the past.
It does seem to me the King Saul was burned before he was buried (I haven't researched it lately).
On the one hand, the life of my spirit makes me think God doesn't really care one way or the other about what happens to my dead tent. On the other hand, the Bible always speaks of the dead body being buried.
The tradition of cremation came from another religion. Outside and away for Christ. Do I really want to go there?

gtparts

God's grace is sufficient for those buried at sea or lost at sea, for those buried and for those left to nature and the elements, for those burned after death and those burned to death. Nothing can separate the true believer in Christ from the love of God, nothing!

olcowman

Hillbilly Philosopher
I'm glad someone started a thread about this topic as this is one of them spiritual issues that I struggle with. (the other one is about dogs going to heaven) I have thought about and studied scripture for some time and still haven't come to a satisfactory conclusion regarding this topic. On the practical side, I too have considered the financial burden an elaborate burial would be on my wife, but on the other hand... I don't want her living 'high on the hog' with some new boyfriend after I'm gone either?

For some reason, I keep picturing myself up at the pearly gates and they's two lines. The one line is a moving right along thru the gates under a sign saying "Souls with Bodies" with Ol' St Pete a shaking their hands as they enter the Heavenly Kingdom. But I am in the other line, the long one with the sign that says "Souls Without A Body, Your Patience is Appreciated".... At the head of line is two stern looking Angels with papers and notepads all spread out on the table they are sitting at as they listen to various souls explain why they showed up without a body. (I ain't got no idea why... maybe there is some trade in value involved or something?) The other night I dreamed I was right up at the front, next in line, ready to state my case and work out a solution ... but I was behind a headless Walt Disney, and he was trying to explain why he had left his head back in California in a deep freezer.... just my luck?

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
God's grace is sufficient for those buried at sea or lost at sea, for those buried and for those left to nature and the elements, for those burned after death and those burned to death. Nothing can separate the true believer in Christ from the love of God, nothing!

I agree with what you say but I don't customarily use that as a reason to do things.
I'd kinda like to reason this out just a bit. I'd like to stay in God's will, if He has a specific will on this subject and I'm not certainly of that yet for myself personally.

Jeffriesw

Does God really care?

:huh:

Don't know, Haven't really looked into it.

But when we look into the word we must try to determine if a teaching is explicitly given to us or is it implicit just by references.
Is it didactic teaching or written as a historical narrative and we are seeing this as being taught, even if it is only by the implicit.
Either way, we do not want to put words in Gods mouth on any given subject.

jmharris23

I don't believe he does...but I could be wrong. I am currently scheduled to be cremated once I leave the body.

biker13

I am going to be cremated,my ashes put in a Harley Davidson Shovelhead cylinder,and put in the Gulf of Mexico.My soul is on the Express Train to Heaven,and that's the name of that tune.

HawgJawl

Concerning burial, do you believe it should be below ground? I'm referring to an above ground ensepulcher or any entombment that is not below ground.

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
I don't believe he does...but I could be wrong. I am currently scheduled to be cremated once I leave the body.

I lean in that direction.
If you don't might me getting very personal, as you plan now, once you leave the body (many many years from now), would your ashes be scattered some place or kept together someplace?
I can't believe I asked! Only on the internet. :whip:

jmharris23

I lean in that direction.
If you don't might me getting very personal, as you plan now, once you leave the body (many many years from now), would your ashes be scattered some place or kept together someplace?
I can't believe I asked! Only on the internet. :whip:

I don't mind you asking! My hope and request is that they be scattered, we came from dust and ashes and I wouldn't mind it returning to that.....but I guess my wife will have to make the final call on that one :bounce:

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
I don't mind you asking! My hope and request is that they be scattered, we came from dust and ashes and I wouldn't mind it returning to that.....but I guess my wife will have to make the final call on that one :bounce:

Thanks for the reply.
That's why I asked. I don't believe I'd ever convince my wife or daughter to take an urn filled with my ashes and dump it all over the ground.
They say: "There has to be a spot, a place with a name, a place for us to visit, a tomb.

gtparts

If, in the future, you see some guy at Biltmore House rose garden with a zip-lock bag dusting the soil at the base of a rose bush...... well, more than likely it is just me following final instructions from SWMBO.

gordon 2

Thanks for the reply.
That's why I asked. I don't believe I'd ever convince my wife or daughter to take an urn filled with my ashes and dump it all over the ground.
They say: "There has to be a spot, a place with a name, a place for us to visit, a tomb.

Wimen like rocks--on fingers and cemeteries.

Mine whats a "place" with a rock--"a place to check on.":D