CVT transmission lag or lurch normal?

Artfuldodger

Just test drove a used 2014 Honda Civic Ex 1.8L engine with 140,000 miles on it. I noticed the CVT transmission made a slight lag or slight lurch in stop and go traffic. Nothing was extreme and it only did it here and there so to speak. But it was easy to recreate just driving slow like 4-5 mph, accelerating and decelerating. It never did this when decelerating nor from a complete stop.

I read that it might be the computer just confused as to what to tell the transmission. Like a lag in communication perhaps. In other words normal for CVT's in general. I've never driven one before.

I did read that Honda makes the best CVT's but still not as good as a regular automatic. Maybe I should just get a 2010-2013 with a regular automatic.
Anyway mainly wonder if this lag was normal. Thanks!

natureman

It is not normal in my 2020 Subaru with CVT. It is very smooth. After all the research I did on vehicles with CVTs I don't plan to keep it after 100K miles. when the odds of having problems go way up.

Last edited:

transfixer

Just test drove a used 2014 Honda Civic Ex 1.8L engine with 140,000 miles on it. I noticed the CVT transmission made a slight lag or slight lurch in stop and go traffic. Nothing was extreme and it only did it here and there so to speak. But it was easy to recreate just driving slow like 4-5 mph, accelerating and decelerating. It never did this when decelerating nor from a complete stop.

I read that it might be the computer just confused as to what to tell the transmission. Like a lag in communication perhaps. In other words normal for CVT's in general. I've never driven one before.

I did read that Honda makes the best CVT's but still not as good as a regular automatic. Maybe I should just get a 2010-2013 with a regular automatic.
Anyway mainly wonder if this lag was normal. Thanks!

It is somewhat normal, as the converter clutch is already partially locked up when you're going slow, so it would be similar to a manual trans with the clutch all the way out and you on and off the gas, not exactly, but that's the only way I can explain it. Honda's do seem to be more dependable, but that is a lot of miles on a CVT regardless, I'd be leary of it, as parts are still virtually non existent for repairing them, and only option being either a used unit or one from Honda parts, which won't be cheap