Dalton Utilities Cancels Wheelchair Deer hunt without notice or warning!

RollnHunter

There are only a handful of deer hunts set aside each season for hunters in wheelchairs. Today, there is one less. Of these hunts, Dalton Utilities LAS Deer Hunt offered arguably the best chance to harvest a high quality buck. As a hunter who is in a wheelchair, I am deeply disappointed. I not only have lost the best hunting opportunity the state has to offer, but am losing the one hunt where I could pretty much hunt completely independently.

Even through the toughest of years, Dalton Utilities LAS Hunts represented the best hunting experience a hunter in a wheelchair could ever ask for. Why? Well, what most folks don't know is that the Dalton property's vast network of dirt roads provides hunters in wheelchairs unparalleled access to over 9,200 acres of quality deer habitat. This property allows hunters in chairs the one thing every other property lacks: the opportunity to hunt completely independently. If you asked someone who hunts from a wheelchair what was the most challenging aspect of their hunting experience, they would almost always say getting to a place in the woods where they had a viable chance to see a really good deer. As a hunter, I enjoy the total hunting experience, which includes scouting and selecting the best places to sit. On most properties, and during most hunts, this rewarding aspect is usually just not possible. If I am lucky, a friend will check out the area I am limited to and give me his or her opinion, which I am grateful. At Dalton, thanks to the gridwork of roads that follow the sprinkler system, I can do my own scouting, and many times have multiple options on where to set up.

Dalton was a disabled hunter's dream property. Most other hunting opportunities involve a whole lot of blood, sweat and tears from those folks brave enough to help us do what most hunters take for granted. Most people realize that hunters in wheelchairs have their hands full when it comes to hunting, but what many folks don't know is the amount of help and dedication other people provide to enable us a chance to harvest a deer. Folks who help us have to set aside a considerable amount of "free" time (time which they themselves could be hunting), figure out how to get someone with limited mobility through the woods, then get us there. Imagine pushing a 200 lb guy in a 30 lb wheelchair through the woods in pitch black darkness, without making too much noise... no small feat! Then, if the hunter is REALLY lucky and actually shoots a deer, that same person has to locate and drag that deer out of the woods! Now, it's no wonder hunters in wheelchairs find it difficult to get someone to come hunting with them!
I know that these folks help us gladly, and am grateful for all the effort expended on my behalf, but it always feels like I didn't do this completely on my own. This feeling is very difficult to put into words, and I can only say that while hunting has its social aspects, there is a deep sense of satisfaction knowing that you went out into the woods by yourself and came out with meat. I will never forget the feeling I had this past season at Dalton Utilities. After riding my ATV deep into the woods, I got into my wheelchair and with my rifle slung over my back rolled about a half mile down an old seldom-used dirt road. I came to a cul-de-sac and wheeled into the woods a few yards, where I had a good view of some hardwood bottom land. I had no sooner set up my little waist high ground blind, when I heard a snort, turned and looked to see two magnificent bucks twenty five yards away, engaged in a fight at the cul-de-sac I had just rolled through. Naturally, they were fighting in the exact opposite direction which I had set up, but were apparently too busy beating each other up to notice me trying to slowly turn my wheelchair around and line up a shot. By the time I was able to get into position (not the best position- looking through my scope with my non-dominant eye, off-hand, shooting up hill and into the setting sun!) the pair had broken off the fight and had split up, but one was still in view, around 60 yds. away. I took my shot and thankfully, he dropped where he stood. I know I was incredibly lucky that day, as others I've told this story to have stated that they've never been that close to two deer fighting- at least not while on the ground. However, I also know that without properties like Dalton, I would never had the chance to get that deep into the woods all by myself.

Several years ago, Dalton decided to adopt the QDMA herd management approach, and had a sharp-shooter come in and cull the population to create a baseline population that would ensure a future population of trophy-caliber deer. As you can imagine, the first couple of seasons to follow, the hunting was challenging to sat the least. However, this past season the herd has matured to the point where many trophy-class bucks were tagged during the allocated hunts. My friend Ryan Loudermilk and I harvested our personal best deer ever at Dalton, and were looking forward to future success at Dalton.
Lori McDaniel, VP of Public Relations and Marketing for Dalton Utilities responded to my email asking about this years wheelchair hunt as follows:

"Mr. Gearing:

Thanks for your email. Unfortunately, there is not a mistake on our website hunt calendar. We chose not to hold a dedicated wheelchair bound hunt this year because participation in these hunts has fallen off drastically over the past few years. Wheelchair bound hunters are certainly welcome to apply for our hunts, and we will accommodate them in any way we can. However, due the large volumes of applications we receive, we will not be able to give wheelchair bound hunters any preference in the hunt drawings."
Sincerely,

Lori McDaniel

Vice President – Marketing & Public Relations
Dalton Utilities/OptiLink
P.O. Box 869
Dalton, GA 30722-0869
Desk – 706-529-1032
Cell – 706-581-2032
Fax – 706-529-1404
www.dutil.com
www.optilink.us

Ms. Daniels response and stated reason for cancelling the hunt left me with more questions than it answered.
Why did DU not even try to find out WHY the numbers had fallen off?
How did DU promote this hunt in the past to hunters with disabilities?
Instead of cancelling the hunt altogether, WHY NOT set aside a predetermined number of slots for wheelchair users and incorporate them into the Adult/Child or EMPLOYEE HUNTS?
Why did they arbitrarily decide "we will not be able to give wheelchair bound hunters any preference in the hunt drawings."
Why wasn't there ANY NOTICE of CANCELLATION?

While numbers of attendees had dropped off over the past few years, there were multiple reasons for it- tough economy and high cost of gas aside, there had been other changes that directly affected the attendance- probably the biggest change was no longer having a volunteer group present during the hunt- volunteers who helped hunters who came alone, or those with more significant disabilities assistance setting up and getting to the woods. The group also provided several meals over the duration of the hunt. Years ago, during better economic times, the group had even secured nearby hotel rooms to participants, which helped offset the costs associated with attending the hunt.

Yet, just this past year, representatives from a new disability hunting organization, Outdoors Without Limits (OWL) offered to help promote the Dalton Wheelchair Deer Hunt to people with disabilities, but never received a reply. Despite multiple email attempts and phone calls, OWL never heard back from anyone at Dalton, which now seems very strange considering the cancellation due to "participation drastically falling off"... Had Dalton Utilities responded to OWL's inquiries, they would have discovered that there was an organization ready, willing and able to help solve their problem of low attendance. They would have learned that OWL is a disabled-led nonprofit organization that originated in Georgia and now has chapters in 23 states. OWL's mission is to provide outdoor recreational opportunities to people with disabilities, which includes managing over a dozen hunts in GA alone. This group could have instantly solved Dalton's problem of low attendance, if Dalton Utilities had bothered to simply respond to their several attempts to reach out to them. Curious indeed.

After the Volunteer group was no longer allowed to help out the disabled hunters, many hunters were forced to give up the hunt. Without the volunteers, disabled hunters who couldn't get someone to come with them either had to cancel or go it alone. My friend Ryan, (who also uses a wheelchair), and I still attended the hunt, but the loss of the volunteers made it more difficult than it had to be. The Dalton staff workers that were there did help us as much as they could, and did whatever we asked of them. Over the years, we had come to know them quite well and always looked forward to catching up with them.

It is a shame that this hunt is no longer available to hunters in wheelchairs. I am finding it extremely difficult to accept Dalton's rationale that cancelling this hunt is their only option, without looking at alternatives or accepting assistance from organizations such as OWL. Especially now that the deer herd is at its healthiest, and the future prospect of having an exceptional hunting experience so promising.

There are other hunts I can attend, but none of them will ever come close to the fully satisfying experience I enjoyed at Dalton Utilities. Mostly though, I'm saddened when I think of all the future hunters in wheelchairs who will never have the opportunity to the share in the same quality hunt we had over the years at Dalton.
~Bob Gearing- aka RollnHunter~