Dam fishing rally

AlanShort

For those who do not know, there is going to be rally against trying to stop us from fishing below dams on the Cumberland river. Although you may not fish the Cumberland this is just the start. If this happens the rest will follow and we have a few great politicians willing to stop it but they need every person they can to show up. I got the email today.

IT'S HERE FOLKS - OUR TIME TO RALLY AND LET THE CORPS HEAR US! I can't think of very many times when an influential Congressman and three very important U.S. Senators have come together at a rally like this. Lets show them we are behind their efforts to stop the Corps from barricading our dams! The information is below and look forward to seeing you Saturday!! Wade White, Lyon Co. Judge Executive.

FREEDOM TO FISH RALLY

Please make plans to join us at the Freedom to Fish Rally at the Barkley Dam Pavilion.

Saturday, April 13, 2013, 11:00 AM CST

Speakers will be:

· Lyon County Judge-Executive Wade White

· Livingston County Judge-Executive Chris Lasher

· U. S. Senator Mitch McConnell

· U. S. Senator Lamar Alexander

· U. S. Senator Rand Paul

· U. S. Congressman Ed Whitfield

Background Information:

The United States Army Corps of Engineers has proposed restricted access areas below all the dams along the Cumberland River, including Barkley Dam. This would eliminate the freedom to fish in the prime areas for fish populations, the tailwaters below the dams.

The federal delegation has introduced the “Freedom to Fish Act,” which would prevent the Corps of Engineers from taking any action to establish a restricted area prohibiting public access to waters downstream of a dam, and for other purposes.

Many private organizations, state Departments of Fish and Wildlife, and the Governors of Tennessee and Kentucky have spoken out against the proposed restricted areas.

Vendor Information

Please note that the selling of merchandise or food is not allowed due to regulations. Informational booths by outdoor, fishing, and/or sportsman groups are welcome and appreciated. Call 270-885-1212 or email Christina_Peterson@Paul.Senate.Gov for more information or to RSVP.

Directions:

· From I24 – take exit 31

· Go South on KY-453

· Take the ramp to US-62 E/US-641 N

· Turn left onto US-62 E/US-641 N

· Take the first Right after the Cumberland River Bridge and follow the signs to the pavilion/picnic area

Information for the media will be sent in a press release. This document is for invitation and informational purposes only. Media inquiries should be directed to Dan Bayens at 859-230-6187 or by email Dan_Bayens@Paul.Senate.Gov

This message was sent by Wade White using the Change.org system. You received this email because you signed a petition started by Wade White on Change.org: "U.S. Army Corps of Engineers: Stop the Restriction of Access to Public Waterways ." Change.org does not endorse contents of this message.

View the petition - I AM A POTTY MOUTH -|- I AM A POTTY MOUTH - Reply to this message via Change.org

Unsubscribe from updates about this petition

scott44

Why do they want to restrict fishing below the dam? Cant be for safety cause if it busted it wouldnt matter if you was tied up to it or 10 miles down the river.

AlanShort

Just another politician trying to say something he doesn't know anything about. Said it dangerous and to many people die below dams. I seen the statistics for drownings below Cumberland river dams for the last 40 years and only one death with somebody with a life jacket I think and it wasn't properly worn. Now there have been other drowning without life jackets but the current rule is you must wear a life jacket directly below dams.

Etoncathunter

It is something that has been being fought over for about the last 6 months. The guy over the Nashville ACoE that handles the Cumberland, decided unilaterally that he was shutting down below and above the dams both in water and bank access. Both TN and KY state governments and their US rep/ senators have protested and complained. They have asked for discussion and are willing to compromise some, and he is just giving them the finger. He claims it's for safety, but I know the TWRA collected the statistics in TN and the accidents and fatalities are something like 15 or 20-1 comparing the lakes vs tail water areas. It is a completely unfounded move by the ACoE.

Dirk

Virtually all our dams in GA are already blocked off and most have a steel cable w/buoys so far downstream that you cant even get close enough by boat to make a long cast anywhere near to the released water coming out of the dam (Lanier, Carters, Hartwell, Oconee, Westpoint, etc...) which is where the fish are at. If the Tennessee COE dams allow boats to go right up against the dam then why can't we do it in Georgia as well is what I want to know...???!!! I hope they can avoid it happening in TN but what about us??? :mad::crazy::confused:

AlanShort

Thanks for the link, 14 people since 1970. 44 years that's pretty good numbers IMO Considering how many dams there is. I don't wanna see anyone die but find a statistic anywhere that's lower than that. More people die fishing than any other sport regardless. Guess we should just ban boats since 9 drown in boats vs 5 on land. This is 2.6 million dollars down the drain.

Look at how many die due to drugs alcohol cigarettes etc some people are just ignorant

scott44

I read the article.Says one person died below a dam on the cumberland since 09. Thats pretty good Imo. Doesnt say why though.They may have been drunk and standing up in a canoe with no life jacket.

scott44

That article says all dams in Ga are restricted and they aren't. The Ga power dams in Rabun county aren't anyway. Neither side. Cant close something just cause someone drowns from time to time.Lots of people drown in the bath tub but they dont close those.