Damascus Blade for Zero Tolerance Police Training Knife

Gobbler Down

Just finished a request for a gentleman that is a staunch supporter of our military personnel, wounded warriors and the men in blue. In response to his generosity and support I agreed to dress up one of his training knives that he sometimes uses around the office as a letter opener when not in official training.

I was trying to remove the thumb stud and really dorked it up pretty badly. They must have used unobtanium to attach the thing. Heat wouldn't even break her free.

I felt terrible about scarring up the knife, not even acid etching would have hidden the damage. Not one to give in...I dug out some "Damascus" that I purchased early on in my knife making journey only to find out that it was Pakistan salvage yard metal. There was no way to find the metal content so I kept the pieces around to use as bases for projects and arrowhead necklaces.

This is the result. Cut out on a Harbor Freight metal band saw, destroying 8-10 dremel cutoff wheels and a lot of contortion on the KMG.

She is quite smooth and lockup is stout. The only mistake I made that bugs me was the hole I drilled for the lockup bearing (when closed) is a little too big and there's a bit of play when closed.

Hardest letter opener I ever made! I told the owner about the metallurgy, or lack thereof and that the knife should be just a desk piece. Although she is "pop-a-hair" sharp!!!

Thanks for looking.
HOOAH! GO ARMY!!!!

Attachments

• ZT Damascus.jpg
    ZT Damascus.jpg
    447.4 KB · Views: 327
  • ZT Damascus4.jpg
    ZT Damascus4.jpg
    409.2 KB · Views: 291
  • ZT Damascus3.jpg
    ZT Damascus3.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 301
  • ZT Damascus grind2.jpg
    ZT Damascus grind2.jpg
    417.3 KB · Views: 360
  • ZT Damascus grind.jpg
    ZT Damascus grind.jpg
    332 KB · Views: 291
  • ZT Damascus 2.jpg
    ZT Damascus 2.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 286
  • ZT Damascus5.jpg
    ZT Damascus5.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 293

fishbum2000

It looks purdy gud ta me

Anvil Head

One of the main reasons I don't do repairs/mods on any but the knives I've made. But, once you're in........you gotta finish.
Very nice recovery.

T-N-T

Nothing like having to go an extra yard or 12 to finish.

Great job!

Gobbler Down

Thank you!

Thank you for the kind words. They mean a great deal.