Debate shall we ?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That’s something I never had the pleasure to learn. Fascinating how they made things and lived back then
They still use obsidian blades for some technical surgeries, because they are so much sharper than steel blades. Looking at the edge of an obsidian blade vs a steel razor blade under a microscope is an eye-opener. Obsidian can fracture to an edge 1 molecule thick.

Dull vs. sharp is a veeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrry big deal. And it's not a stretch at all.
I realize sharp vs dull being a big deal in alot of things who wants a dull knife or dulll chainsaw. In this scenario how much of an impact does it def make with a duller broadhead vs a razor sharp one that will shave hair off you ? Is unethical ? What’s the difference in penetration. That’s what I’m curious about. I have killed deer with both and have seen no significant difference to the point I’d like oh man I don’t need to do that again…

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I realize sharp vs dull being a big deal in alot of things who wants a dull knife or dulll chainsaw. In this scenario how much of an impact does it def make with a duller broadhead vs a razor sharp one that will shave hair off you ? Is unethical ? What’s the difference in penetration. That’s what I’m curious about. I have killed deer with both and have seen no significant difference to the point I’d like oh man I don’t need to do that again…
I would not hunt with dull broadheads. Period. I want them as sharp as I can get them. You do you.

GregoryB.

They use to test using a stretched rubber band. A sharp blade would cut it easily and a dull blade would just push it out of the way. The rubber band was supposed to simulate a broadhead passing a vein or artery.

They use to test using a stretched rubber band. A sharp blade would cut it easily and a dull blade would just push it out of the way. The rubber band was supposed to simulate a broadhead passing a vein or artery.
That’s interesting. I haven’t heard of that being done before. Certainly seems logical to me. I never paid much attention to nor obsessed about my broadheads being razor sharp. I have mainly used expandable straight out of the pack and hunted with them. Used fixed blades a few times hog hunting and what not back in the day. There have been a few occasions where I have been able to re-use a broadhead I have shot deer with. Usually they get destroyed and have to be replaced of blades fixed.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I can’t imagine nocking a arrow and know the broad head the blades are dull. I would keep a arrow broadhead that’s cheaper for a hog in the quiver but it was sharp.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Razor heads, change blades after they’re used. I want them sharp.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Think about a razor sharp skinning knife vs one that is still "sharp" but has lost its razor edge. Still sharp enough to cut, but it requires more effort than before.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I remember this…….

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Yup… said “teerd”. Vulgarity I suppose.

It’s referred to as typing around the censor. If you type something and the censor bleeps it out it’s among the non allowed words.
The mod who deleted the post did you a favor by deleting it vs dinging.

James12

It’s referred to as typing around the censor. If you type something and the censor bleeps it out it’s among the non allowed words.
The mod who deleted the post did you a favor by deleting it vs dinging.

Appreciate the favor Mod.

Latest posts