Decoy Setup on Powerline

BuckFever1613

I have a group of toms roosting just off a power line maybe 20 yards at most and i was curious as to if i should try and sneak a decoy out onto the powerline while it was still good and dark. Or is there a better option to try and lure him my way at fly down time. thanks for any help

i dont know a lot but i had a friend kill a turkey like that- late the night before in the dark he eased in and set up his decoy in the middle of the powerline, and at morning came back in across the powerline from the bird, and the bird flew down to the decoy and ate lead. Idk how sound that idea is but i know it worked for him. (im guessin you'd want to have a cloudy sky or no moon and maybe some wet ground)

The Horned Toad

I had a couple of buddies that were set up in a powerline with decoy. The gobbler landed on the decoy stomped it into the ground and flew off. They said it happened so fast they were awe struck and didn't even get a shot off.

Quercus Alba

By all means yes. I always if possible try to slip in and set up the decoy where the gobbler can see it from the roost. If you do it well before light you should have no problem.

dognducks

Banned
work slow and take very few steps at a time. make sure that moon isnt brite. you should be able to walk right in there and set one out. we do it in the woods when we have one roosted

Timberdawg

Some times when a gobbler decoy is set up in the open the birds will fly down right to it but as soon as they land they will take off running :huh: So if they fly in get ready for a quick shot.

chambers270

I am in the same postion on the edge of a clear cut. I am going to put a jake and hen out together I think.

Chris

G Duck

Do they fly down in the powerline anyway? If they do, I would not wory about getting close enough for the birds to see from the tree, you might bump them. If you set it where they can see it when they fly down, that should be ok. If they are interested, they will come. That way you dont have to get there at 4 am.

Latest posts