Decoys Don't Work In GA!!

davidhelmly

I've heard that numerous times and always laugh.

We had a good hunt Sunday evening and had a pretty good buck come into our decoy, he fed out into the clover and noticed the decoy and immediately laid his ears back, puffed up, stiff legged over and just slammed Bucky and then bounced off to the other side of the plot and stood there for a minute or two admiring his work! :rofl::rofl:

I know decoy hunting isn't for everyone but it get's my adrenalin flowing every time I see it, if you've never tried it before give it a try because we have good luck every year with it.

The next week or 10 days should be some prime hunting even with the warmer weather we've got, we will be back next weekend trying again.

Untitled<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Untitled<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't advise it on the national forest around here. :bounce:

WishboneW

When I lived in Douglasville I used to leave my archery target out during season. Invariably it would get battered

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
I would have emptied the quiver on him for tearing up bucky..:bounce::bounce:

GAGE

GONetwork Member
My father in law used mine last weekend, and had a decent 6 point that had been harassing a few does do the exact same thing. I rarely use it, but several years back I had a really nice ten swell up and roar at it.

BassHunter25

Just bought one on sale at dicks last week first time using it. Little spike came out. Wasn't spooked. Eased his way toward it. Was just starting to interact when three dogs came out and decided they wanted to interact. Smh. But I think I'm the right situation it could be good. I don't like the fact that when the deer do investigate they usually spook. And hunting where I am with a lot of small bucks could be bad. But I'm experimenting.
IMG_1282.jpg

cam88

I like using them in open fields where the deer can see them from a distance. Where I hunt it's thick and heavily wooded so I don't use them in that scenario.

davidhelmly

I would have emptied the quiver on him for tearing up bucky..:bounce::bounce:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I like using them in open fields where the deer can see them from a distance. Where I hunt it's thick and heavily wooded so I don't use them in that scenario.

That's exactly what we do, we only use it in areas that a deer can see it from a good distance and come to it, not encounter it really close and possibly be startled by it.

Is that deer not a shooter for y'all David? If not please post pics of shooters you are after.

Yes I feel like he would be a legal shooter on our place and I'm pretty sure he's 4.5 but I'm just really wanting to get on the buck we named F8 and had an encounter with last Halloween even though he is basically a ghost this year!
This is him in the summer.

5MTC0006<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

5MTC0315<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

davidhelmly

That's awesome. David do you add any scent to your decoy?

No but I will spray him down with some type of scent destroyer a few times per year because I usually just carry it on my shoulder and hold it with my bare hands

Jim Boyd

Great work David!

You folks have the beasts, I will tell you that!

Glad Cindy is better and you guys are out getting it done.

Great video work!

Decoys won't work in Illinois either - leave 'em home if you head up that way!!!! I put mine out with only one antler and tied some white cloth strips to his tail that flickered in the wind. He is still up there in the barn - and he will get used in the next two weeks!!

Thanks for allowing us to watch! You are like a rock star!!

Attachments

• IMG_3427.jpg
    IMG_3427.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 962

davidhelmly

You folks have the beasts, I will tell you that!

Glad Cindy is better and you guys are out getting it done.

Great video work!

Decoys won't work in Illinois either - leave 'em home if you head up that way!!!! I put mine out with only one antler and tied some white cloth strips to his tail that flickered in the wind. He is still up there in the barn - and he will get used in the next two weeks!!

Thanks for allowing us to watch! You are like a rock star!!

Thanks Jim, you are far too kind!!

Be safe and good luck up in the promised land next week while us frustrated jealous home state hunters will be here harassing our home state deer!! ::ke:::ke:::ke: