Deer meat

Hillbilly stalker

I’ve had my deer in an ice chest for 8 days covered in ice. I got to processing it tonight and this live worm came crawling out of the neck meat. I noticed the buck wasn’t pizzed up at all when I shot him, and I noticed his back bone looked a little pronounced like he was run down a little. Anyone familiar with this worm? Meat still safe to eat ? It was in the neck roast area. This is a first for me. 1 1/4 inch long.IMG_1631.jpeg

Toliver

Milipede. Probably just found its way onto the deer after the fact. Should have a lot of little legs under it.

Hillbilly stalker

I cut the meat off the hanging carcass and put it straight in the cooler. Covered in ice 24/7, straight from the cooler to the cutting table. No chance of picking something up. I wouldn’t think a worm would gravitate toward ice or dripping ice water tho.

Toliver

Well millipedes are not parasitic and would not have been living in the meat. It got on there somehow after the fact. They generally eat decaying vegetation but will take on some meat occasionally. I wouldn't worry about it.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I cut the meat off the hanging carcass and put it straight in the cooler. Covered in ice 24/7, straight from the cooler to the cutting table. No chance of picking something up. I wouldn’t think a worm would gravitate toward ice or dripping ice water tho.
Did it have all the legs under it.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I’d throw the neck away........
And keep the bug.

It may of been in one the bags of ice.
:rofl:I don’t think it was in the meat either….I find dead ones like this in my basement all the time!

James12

That’s a Portuguese Millipede (seriously). I’m guessing it was tucked under the lid or somewhere in a crease on the cooler chilling out somewhere dark and damp. It would not be in or have need for the meat for any reason other than maybe passing through.

Lilly001

How did it taste?
Seriously I think you are ok to use the meat.