Keeping Deer Meat?

jNick

My wife shot an a lil’ 6 point all velvet buck last Saturday. The deer didn’t have any testicles and had a huge gut. Very healthy deer. We’ve spent a small fortune at the processor this year, so we’ve ordered the equipment to do it ourselves, but packaged like the processor. I’ve cleaned a ton of deer so no big deal. The buck actually came in while we were on Amazon ordering the equipment. The problem is that the meat grinder will not be here until Thursday night and it’ll be Friday before we can process it and get it frozen.

The deer is currently quartered out and packed deep in ice in a big white offshore cooler tilted with the drain plug open.

The longest I’ve ever kept a quartered deer on ice is 3 days.

How do y’all feel about keeping a deer six days in ice?

Last edited:

tcward

My wife shot an all velvet buck last Saturday. We’ve spent a small fortune at the processor this year, so we’ve ordered the equipment to do it ourselves, but packaged like the processor. I’ve cleaned a ton of deer so no big deal. The buck actually came in while we were on Amazon ordering the equipment. The problem is that the meat grinder will not be here until Thursday night and it’ll be Friday before we can process it and get it frozen.

The deer is currently quarter out and packed deep in ice in a big white offshore cooler tilted with the drain plug open.

How do y’all feel about keeping a deer six days on ice? Still good?
As long you keep it iced and drained occasionally I don’t see a problem.

kayaksteve

Should be fine. I’d keep the cooler tilted and the drain cracked. Once it’s chilled you can even stick some frozen 2 liter bottles of water in there that’ll last longer if there’s room. Freezing the meat until you have the time to grind is no problem to.

Kebo07

I started doing my own this year as well. I am usually 5 - 7 days on ice. Cooler tipped drain cracked. The frozen water bottles after chilling is a great idea.

Waddams

I let one go 10 days on ice in the cooler a month ago after reading multiple people post they've let it go 14 days, and some even more. It's turned out to be better tasting and more tender than the venison that I gave the usual 5-6 days. I think something about venison having so much less fatty tissue makes it last longer on ice when aging? I seem to remember reading something about that at some point.

I will say I've noticed a difference in aging results also at about the 3 day mark. If I process on or before 3 days, it's never as good as if I let it get past the 3rd day. Not much difference to note going 4-6 days for me in terms of how the venison turns out. Just my own humble experience here, others will undoubtedly have different at some point.

After getting the 10 day results I got, especially if it's cooler outside and I can make the time and keep the ice replenished easily, I might start making 10 days my standard. I might start deboning though before it's done with the 10 days and just leave it in bags so it takes up less cooler space. I don't have room for a spare garage fridge just to age deer in or I'd have one (our garage fridge gets used for drinks - wife likes coke with her rum and beer with her football and pizza, so gotta have room for that!).

tree cutter 08

Ive gone 14 days on ice. I've been leaving my boned out meat in a game bag in a fridge this year. I'll let it set a week to week and a half the work it up. Loose a little on the outer edges due to little bit more trimming but man it's good. I won't go back to the cooler and ice anymore. I guess dry aging is the proper term. It sure does cut up so much better to. Better flavor and texture.

Kev

6 days is no problem. During the winter when the ice doesn’t constantly melt, I’ve kept mine on ice in the cooler for 10 days. Water will make the meat ruin faster.

Buckstop

Just did up two that were killed 9 and 10 days prior on Sunday last week. Boned meat spent 5 days in the cooler in heavy plastic bags packed in ice. I keep the meat dry and the cooler draining. The rest of the time they were dry aged in the fridge. Was good to go. Gone as long as 12 days and had no issues. Gone past that and didn't have as good a feeling about it, but probably just me.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
My wife shot an a lil’ 6 point all velvet buck last Saturday. The deer didn’t have any testicles and had a huge gut. Very healthy deer. We’ve spent a small fortune at the processor this year, so we’ve ordered the equipment to do it ourselves, but packaged like the processor. I’ve cleaned a ton of deer so no big deal. The buck actually came in while we were on Amazon ordering the equipment. The problem is that the meat grinder will not be here until Thursday night and it’ll be Friday before we can process it and get it frozen.

The deer is currently quartered out and packed deep in ice in a big white offshore cooler tilted with the drain plug open.

How do y’all feel about keeping a deer six days in ice?
I would not want to eat a deer that I didn't age for at least 7-9 days. Seriously. It makes all the difference in the world. It takes at least three days for the rigor mortis to relax and let your meat be tender again. I like at least 7 days. It's not gonna hurt it at all, it will make it 10x better. Trust me. The open drain with the other end of the cooler tilted up is the key. You don't want water standing on it at all.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Ive gone 14 days on ice. I've been leaving my boned out meat in a game bag in a fridge this year. I'll let it set a week to week and a half the work it up. Loose a little on the outer edges due to little bit more trimming but man it's good. I won't go back to the cooler and ice anymore. I guess dry aging is the proper term. It sure does cut up so much better to. Better flavor and texture.
I've tried that, and I don't like the tough crust that you have to trim off.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
And woohoo to the wife on the deer! My slicer is on the way. After borrowing one last year, I knew I’d be getting one this year!

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
It'll grind better if partially frozen. I usually cube mine up for the grinder, then freeze it in gallon ziplocks. I'll get it out a week or more later a bag at a time to grind and re-package for longer storage/freezing.

patriot15joe

7-10 days as long as it’s on ice and not submerged. I have read that people do even longer, but at the 7 day point I can’t tell a difference. If you’re grinding you really won’t be able to tell.