Delayed Car Title

SarahFair

We bought a vehicle at an auction in Alabama, paid for it and picked it up on March 25 (a Saturday). I put insurance on the vehicle Monday the 27th.

They send out titles in the mail and said it can take up to 10 days, tomorrow is the 10th day.
My FIL says it usually comes about the 7th day, but I'm guessing since it was one of their biggest auctions to date, everything is running slightly behind.

The SO gave his name for the title when he was paying for it, but now he's about to leave to go on a fishing trip.

My only other vehicle is the (un)trusty Buick that likes to shut off on me at any given moment..

If the title doesn't come by Thursday, is there something I can do to avoid getting a ticket/towed for an unregistered vehicle?
All I have currently is proof of insurance and a bill of sale and will possibly have the title going forward, maybe just not in time to register it before the SO goes out of town.

ClemsonRangers

you should be good driving with insurance and a bill of sale, i would assume that you have 30 days to register

the DMV would probably issue you a 45 day temporary tag if you want it

ClemsonRangers

"Georgia residents who have purchased a vehicle from another individual must register it within 7 business days from the date of purchase.

Georgia residents who purchase a car from a dealer have 30 days from the date of purchase to apply for registration."

https://georgia.gov/register-vehicle

SarahFair

I knew about the 7 days, which is why I'm in a little bit of a panic, but I'm unsure about the 30, I guess I'll have the SO call them tomorrow

oldfella1962

Here is my question: do you need the title to register the vehicle? In other words if I'm making payments on a car, I will never have the title until I pay the car off, yet I register the car so I can drive it, though I have no title.

I've been in a situation where I leased a vehicle in Georgia then a few years later moved to Alabama. The lease had my first name, middle initial, and last name on it.
But my driver's license and all my other important documents had my first name, full middle name, and last name. My lease was about up, and I wanted to buy the car. The problem was I couldn't register the car in Alabama because I couldn't prove that my middle initial on the lease was the first letter of my middle name. o_O They gave me a 45 day extension and said all they needed to do is get the Georgia DMV to contact the Alabama DMV and they could straighten it out. It was a no-brainer, easy-peasy! :)
45 days later the Georgia DMV hadn't done jack squat. So the Alabama DMV gave me another extension. About a month later still nothing, and the Alabama DMV told me that they only give two extensions. No sense making payments on a car that I couldn't register (and thus couldn't drive) so I had to turn the leased car (which was in good shape & relatively low mileage) back in. :(

pjciii

It is possible that the the person selling did not have clear title. Like waiting himself to get the title back from his taking possession of the vehicle which means he is waiting and you are waiting. I would call the Alabama DMV and see if you can find a nice person to see if they will give you confirmation that he was in possession of the vehicle title and if it is being processed or has been processed.

SarahFair

It is possible that the the person selling did not have clear title. Like waiting himself to get the title back from his taking possession of the vehicle which means he is waiting and you are waiting. I would call the Alabama DMV and see if you can find a nice person to see if they will give you confirmation that he was in possession of the vehicle title and if it is being processed or has been processed.
It was a county utility vehicle

Dr. Strangelove

GA DMV is weird. Normally pretty easy going, but hardcore on dumb stuff.

I caught a bunch of problems trying to register a car because I had just moved, they wanted multiple "proofs" of residence, so I just went online to the drivers license people and changed my address in the parking lot.

20 minutes later and all was good?

SarahFair

I called the auction company today and they said they are considered a dealer which is why they can issue a title and that it should fall under the 30 days.

I just called the county tag office and they said that if they are a dealer they  should have issued a temporary tag, but she said she couldnt tell me anything from a legal standpoint.
I dont think the auction gives out temp tags, the SOs family has bought several vehicles, trialers, and equipment from them over the past 20+ years and never got a temp tag, but they've always received the title within 7 days :huh:

oldfella1962

I called the auction company today and they said they are considered a dealer which is why they can issue a title and that it should fall under the 30 days.

I just called the county tag office and they said that if they are a dealer they  should have issued a temporary tag, but she said she couldnt tell me anything from a legal standpoint.
I dont think the auction gives out temp tags, the SOs family has bought several vehicles, trialers, and equipment from them over the past 20+ years and never got a temp tag, but they've always received the title within 7 days :huh:
Seven actual days or business days?

SarahFair

DMV is correct, a licensed auto dealer should issue a temporary tag and is what you need to enjoy hassle-free (from police) driving that auctioned vehicle beyond 7 business days.

Personally, I'd call auction company back and ask them to email you a full copy of their temporary tag so you can print it out.. then stick to a cardboard and put on your rear bumper or simply tape to the inside of your back window.

I'd want to know their auto-dealer's license number as well.. in order for you to prove, if necessary, that you have 30 days, and not 7.

I suspect that "active, in compliance" licensed auto dealer's information is published online by Alabama DMV.

-Good success and have fun on fishing vacation !!
Thank you for the info.
I found their auto dealers license # on the Alabama DMV website and just shot them an email inquiring about a printable temp tag.