Depression, hormones, muscles

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I think there is something to that but don't think that the positive effect is anywhere near life changing. It is probably depression lessening but nowhere near depression ending.

hopper

Definitely not a cure all but sure there is something to it. Some of the most depressing times of my life was when I did alot of under contract work for larger companies. Fast paced, loooong pay draws, and beuracacy. I did plenty of exercise (flexing) getting those jobs done. The circumstances of my choice to put up with it was way more influential than the benefit of physical activity.
With all that said exercise, diet coupled with good or estemable choices are definitely beneficial.

ryanh487

The published the results of a study in the UK mid-last year on depression. The chemical imbalance theory of mental health is a 50+ year old theory that was never tested, it was only based on an observation. The new study shows that there is no causation between brain chemistry and depression. it also showed equal effectiveness of anti-depressant drugs vs placebo, both at 50%, which basically translates to people that think the drugs can help them are helped. Depression was tied to more external circumstance and unresolved trauma than brain chemistry. Those that corrected their circumstances and got counseling to resolve the trauma they had experienced recovered from depressive symptoms. Often depression occurs because we're not happy with our circumstances and lack purpose, passion and direction. When you take steps to correct those things, i.e. building discipline and fitness by setting, pursiung and achieving fitness goals, the symptoms of depression decrease drastically.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I’m more inline with ryanh, if you are truly depressed by your circumstance activity is not just exercise but a distraction from that which is depressing you. Setting fitness goals helps us climb out of depression but a cure for depression is a reach.

westcobbdog

Occasionally I am in my car Sunday evenings and like to listen to Dr Joe Esposito on wsb. He sorta ties your diet to your physical and mental health. It's always enlightening listening to him.

earlthegoat2

There is a reason the military insists on physical fitness. The higher the levels of purely physical stress the body can take will prepare you for psychological stress as well.

Psychological stress often manifests itself physically so being in good shape helps be a bit more resilient to its effects.

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
Occasionally I am in my car Sunday evenings and like to listen to Dr Joe Esposito on wsb. He sorta ties your diet to your physical and mental health. It's always enlightening listening to him.
Please post if you hear anything that we need to hear

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
There is a reason the military insists on physical fitness. The higher the levels of purely physical stress the body can take will prepare you for psychological stress as well.

Psychological stress often manifests itself physically so being in good shape helps be a bit more resilient to its effects.
When I was in there was various time in my career that I worked out a lot (training for competition teams) One time in particular I only drank water or gatoraid and lunch consisted of tuna and a bagel or rice cakes. Man I felt great, lay down to sleep and would be out in a couple of minutes and wouldn't wake up until the alarm went off.

Toliver

Physical and mental health. And physical health is obviously tied to diet. Diet then helps produce good levels of serotonin which is primarily produced in the digestive tract. Serotonin plays a part in mood, sleep, digestion, healing, and several other functions to include bedroom relations. So the three go hand in hand.