DNR agent shot by hunter

seaweaver

http://www.wtoctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=9424769&nav=menu89_1_3

DNR agent shot by hunter

By WTOC Staff

PORT WENTWORTH, GA (WTOC) - A DNR Agent was shot around 6pm this evening by a man who was hunting in the woods off of Highway 30.

The hunter says that he thought he saw a deer, when it turned out to be a Department of Natural Resources Officer. When the hunter realized what happened, he helped the officer to the road.

The round went through his abdomen. Emergency crews rushed him to Memorial University Medical Center.

Officials say the hunter is being very cooperative. The Department of Natural Resources has taken over the investigation.

seaweaver

As bad as it is...and he should KNOW what he is shooting...
Those boys should wear orange.
I don't leave it to chance walking or scouting.

simpleman30

sadly, i've never seen a game warden that does. i guess they feel they lose the element of surprise that way

hummdaddy

i feel for him and his family hope he makes it .....as a hunter though i have to wear my orange walking around in the woods,and sitting high in my stand to hunt during deer season...that said why are they not held to the same standard !!! never have i seen a DNR agent where an orange vest hunting us ...seems silly because in most cases they have already cased the places they are going to search ...they should know where the stands , trucks , and bait are if any ....why risk your life walking around in low light conditions for someone who might not even be breaking a law .... imagine what could have happened if this was not 1 of the good guys that helped him !!!!!

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Anyone that starts their statement with "I thought I saw a deer" and was followed up by shooting, should face criminal neglect charges.

That is just stupid.

On the flip side, I hate orange and if I have to wear it, and given the reasons that the state makes for it being law, then so should the DNR.

T

ToLog

it is a shame anyone gets injured or worse. glad the guy is apparently going to be ok.

but, it looks like its a case of "do as i say, not as i do." i can't imagine anyone in the deer woods during hunting season without a orange vest.

i mean, if a vest is for safety purposes, then they should be worn, right? :huh:

killNgrill

at 6pm it seems like it would be hard to see orange anyway because of low light conditions. but i just dont understand how anyone can mistake a person walking through the woods as a deer after having them in the scope.

AnesMerc

Wow. I guess this goes back to know what you are shooting at. If there is doubt don't pull the trigger.

Beehaw

Did I miss something? Everybody is assuming that he didn't have a vest on, but I don't see that in the article.

sman

hunter orange or not, the guy who shot is at fault. If I decide to run to hike through the woods naked during deer season I have the right. Know what you are shooting and what is beyond the target.

The guy who shot him should lose all of his guns and his hunting license for life!!!!!!!!! If the DNR agent passes away, then the guy should be tried for manslaughter!!!! Quit blaming no orange, the guy who shot is an idot!!!!

Hardwoods

Thats terrible. What an idiot for shooting without knowing what the target was. Obviously not QDM property.

T

ToLog

Did I miss something? Everybody is assuming that he didn't have a vest on, but I don't see that in the article.

Nah, i don't know what the SOP is either? :huh:

it might be optional? i know that being in the woods during deer or turkey season is a clear message to be on the alert, for armed hunters. it is clear that they are there.

but, this remains a tragedy for all involved, no matter how the cards fall. i'm just glad it's not any worse than what it is.

it would be good if there were zero accidents, ever. :type:

thomas gose

:bangingheshould have identified his target and he should be punished, but dnr should also be held accountable for allowing their wardens to enter the woods without orange!:banginghe

ChuckyBoy

No excuse whatsoever. As I stated in another thread, my Dad was shot in the 1963-64 season so I take it personally. Jail time and heavy fines still would not stop it. I scouted a new area today and still wore my orange and 9mm. My concern was trespassers.

GobbleAndGrunt78

Happened off highway 30 in Pt Wentworth, saw the local news......very sad. I pray the officer survives.

Lorri

Any new updates on the officer. This is very sad for the officer and his family.

sman

it is cases like this that make me wish we did not have a law against "cruel and unusal punishment".

BornToHuntAndFish

DNR Officer Curtis Wright is listed in GOOD CONDITION at hospital!

Any new updates on the officer. This is very sad for the officer and his family.

From the Savannah Morning News below is an update on the Thurs. Nov. 27th shooting:

http://new.savannahnow.com/node/625459

DNR officer may have been accidentally shot
Latest News | Local
Arek Sarkissian II | November 28, 2008

The state department of natural resources officer who was shot Thursday night by a hunter in Port Wentworth was listed in good condition at an area hospital, DNR officials said.

Georgia State Department of Natural Resources Law Enforcement Cpl. Curtis Wright, 56, was investigating a waterfowl complaint when he was shot at about 5:45 p.m., said Melissa Cummings, DNR spokeswoman.

Initial results from an ongoing investigation carried out by the DNR and GBI show the shooting was accidental, Cummings said.

“It appears to be a case of mistaken identity. The hunter mistook Wright for game,” she said. “He was hunting deer.”

Wright, a 26-year veteran of the department, was shot in Port Wentworth, near a railroad right of way not far from Ga. 21. Wright self-administered first aid and called 911. The hunter who shot him rushed to Cummings’ side and helped him out of the wooded area, she said.

The hunter was questioned by investigators. No charges have been filed.

Lorri

From the Savannah Morning News below is an update on the Thurs. Nov. 27th shooting:

http://new.savannahnow.com/node/625459

DNR officer may have been accidentally shot
Latest News | Local
Arek Sarkissian II | November 28, 2008

The state department of natural resources officer who was shot Thursday night by a hunter in Port Wentworth was listed in good condition at an area hospital, DNR officials said.

Georgia State Department of Natural Resources Law Enforcement Cpl. Curtis Wright, 56, was investigating a waterfowl complaint when he was shot at about 5:45 p.m., said Melissa Cummings, DNR spokeswoman.

Initial results from an ongoing investigation carried out by the DNR and GBI show the shooting was accidental, Cummings said.

“It appears to be a case of mistaken identity. The hunter mistook Wright for game,” she said. “He was hunting deer.”

Wright, a 26-year veteran of the department, was shot in Port Wentworth, near a railroad right of way not far from Ga. 21. Wright self-administered first aid and called 911. The hunter who shot him rushed to Cummings’ side and helped him out of the wooded area, she said.

The hunter was questioned by investigators. No charges have been filed.

Thank you for the update. Good to hear that he is going to be ok.