Do It Your Self

Redbow

And save money. If your small outboard motor needs a water pump impeller get the kit and install it yourself, its not hard to do at all. I just replaced mine and instead of paying a boat motor mechanic at least 150 bucks if not more to do a 30 minute job I did it with some help from YouTube.

My outboard is a 2 stroke 25 hp Yamaha, 2007 year model. The water pump impeller had never been changed out I figured it was time to do so. The only tricky part to reassembly is make sure the rubber grommet that fits into the water pump housing is installed before you bolt up the lower unit, there are only 4 bolts holding it on but you have the shifting rod and the lower section comes down with the lower unit by uncoupling it. Its pretty simple to get it back in place correctly but if you miss doing so like I did the first time I re-installed the lower unit you will have to take it back down again. Just make sure if its a Yamaha you shift the lower part of the shifting rod into reverse by pushing down on it before installing the lower unit. You might have to turn the prop counter-clockwise while pushing the shifting rod down to make it slide into reverse. There is a good video on adjusting the shifting rod on google and on YouTube.

I always though replacing the water pump impeller in an outboard was a hard job, it isn't not at all. Just take your time and do things correctly, it sure ain't rocket science to do this yourself.

Last edited:

ribber

And save money. If your small outboard motor needs a water pump impeller get the kit and install it yourself, its not hard to do at all. I just replaced mine and instead of paying a boat motor mechanic at least 150 bucks if not more to do a 30 minute job I did it with some help from YouTube.

My outboard is a 2 stroke 25 hp Yamaha, 2007 year model. The water pump impeller had never been changed out I figured it was time to do so. The only tricky part to reassembly is make sure the rubber grommet that fits into the water pump housing is installed before you bolt up the lower unit, there are only 4 bolts holding it on but you have the shifting rod and the lower section comes down with the lower unit by uncoupling it. Its pretty simple to get it back in place correctly but if you miss doing so like I did the first time I re-installed the lower unit you will have to take it back down again. Just make sure if its a Yamaha you shift the lower part of the shifting rod into reverse by pushing down on it before installing the lower unit. You might have to turn the prop counter-clockwise while pushing the shifting rod down to make it slide into reverse. There is a good video on adjusting the shifting rod on google and on YouTube.

I always though replacing the water pump impeller in an outboard was a hard job, it isn't not at all. Just take your time and do things correctly, it sure ain't rocket science to do this yourself.
Agreed, a water pump job is not hard. At least not the ones I've done. Same with cleaning an outboard carb.