Outboard Motor Lower Unit

NickDeer

I got a 2004 Yamaha 9.9 4 stroke Outboard for free. Got it running and all. It needed was a water pump though. I took off the lower unit, replaced the water pump, and go to put the lower unit back in, and it wont go right. If i have the outboard in forward (shift linkage all the way up) itll seat in its spot but I cant shift down to neutral or reverse. If I try to put the lower unit back in with the motor in reverse or neutral it wont go all the way. I'm not sure what to do. On this particular motor, the whole lower unit comes out, and a long shift linkage about a foot long stays in the motor and goes up and down depending what your gear your in. Every video I've watched it doesn't have this mechanism so I'm lost on what to do to properly sit this lower unit back in right where I can shift.

Redbow

Go to You Tube and watch this video if you haven't already.

DIY Lower Unit Installation/ Yamaha 6, 8, 9.9 4 stroke

The shifting rod must be in the reverse position on the lower unit by pushing it down b4 you install the lower unit. The guy in the video makes the lower unit installation look simple. I hope it works for you.

Donal

Every video I've watched it doesn't have this mechanism so I'm lost on what to do to properly sit this lower unit back in right where I can shift.[/QUOTE]

Did you disconnect the shift linkage at the joint as shown in the utube or at the top?
So you just got the motor and dont know if the motor has something wrong?

Last edited:

NickDeer

Go to You Tube and watch this video if you haven't already.

DIY Lower Unit Installation/ Yamaha 6, 8, 9.9 4 stroke

The shifting rod must be in the reverse position on the lower unit by pushing it down b4 you install the lower unit. The guy in the video makes the lower unit installation look simple. I hope it works for you.
Appreciate it!

NickDeer

Every video I've watched it doesn't have this mechanism so I'm lost on what to do to properly sit this lower unit back in right where I can shift.

Did you disconnect the shift linkage at the joint as shown in the utube or at the top?
So you just got the motor and dont know if the motor has something wrong?[/QUOTE]
Yea the motor was given to me. Got it running (and shifting) and the only thing that seemed wrong with it was it wasn’t pumping water out well enough

Donal

With the motor not running. Try back flushing the cooling system with water hose and something small to fit the discharge. Sometimes a small rock or large grain of sand will plug the opening. A small wire may clear obstruction.