Tacoma transmission

ucfireman

I just had a clutch put in my 2007 Tacoma 4cyl. I had 270k on the original.
New flywheel, and complete clutch kit. And new oil in the trans.
Before, At times I would get a little grinding going into 2nd. Not always just occasionally. Sometimes it was hard to get into 2nd, almost like the synchronizers were off. Again not every time but just every so often, maybe 1/200 shifts. I guess the 1st owner used 1st and 2nd a lot, maybe in traffic?
Anyway when picked up all felt fine. Shifted smoothly through all the gears and a little less whine on the hwy then before. Clutch caught lower than I expected though. Took a bit to get used to.
The next morning, when the trans was cold, it was pretty hard to get into 2nd. 3,4,5 were fine. Then shifting back to 1st when stopping was hard.
After about 10-15 miles and 5-10 miles things were fine.
Its like its hard to shift when the trans and oil are cold then fine when warm and hot.
Doesn't seem normal to me.
Is the clutch adjustable? Does it just need "breaking in"? Or should I take it back and let them keep it overnight to see it first hand the next morning?
They gave me a 2 year 24k warranty but I really don't want to tear anything up.
But its a Pain to leave it overnight and the next day.
I have to believe the mechanic knew what he was doing, its a reputable shop.
This is the 1st time I have ever had a "new clutch" so I don't really know what is right or not.

transfixer

I just had a clutch put in my 2007 Tacoma 4cyl. I had 270k on the original.
New flywheel, and complete clutch kit. And new oil in the trans.
Before, At times I would get a little grinding going into 2nd. Not always just occasionally. Sometimes it was hard to get into 2nd, almost like the synchronizers were off. Again not every time but just every so often, maybe 1/200 shifts. I guess the 1st owner used 1st and 2nd a lot, maybe in traffic?
Anyway when picked up all felt fine. Shifted smoothly through all the gears and a little less whine on the hwy then before. Clutch caught lower than I expected though. Took a bit to get used to.
The next morning, when the trans was cold, it was pretty hard to get into 2nd. 3,4,5 were fine. Then shifting back to 1st when stopping was hard.
After about 10-15 miles and 5-10 miles things were fine.
Its like its hard to shift when the trans and oil are cold then fine when warm and hot.
Doesn't seem normal to me.
Is the clutch adjustable? Does it just need "breaking in"? Or should I take it back and let them keep it overnight to see it first hand the next morning?
They gave me a 2 year 24k warranty but I really don't want to tear anything up.
But its a Pain to leave it overnight and the next day.
I have to believe the mechanic knew what he was doing, its a reputable shop.
This is the 1st time I have ever had a "new clutch" so I don't really know what is right or not.

they probably drained the transmission and refilled it with 75-90w gear lube, and it being new fluid it is rather thick, it doesn't squeeze out between the synchro rings and the gear that easily, I would go back and ask them if that is what they did , and ask them to drain the trans and refill it with 20w-50w synthetic motor oil, it will shift much slicker, and easier . and protects the gears just as good as the heavier gear lube, manufacturers now use automatic transmission fluid in manual units because it allows for less friction and easier shifts

beretta

Sounds like a worn synchronizer(s). Some have friction material or grooves on the inside to slow down the shaft/gear, it will wear down and lose it's ability to do this until the transmission oil is thinner do to heat.

ucfireman

they probably drained the transmission and refilled it with 75-90w gear lube, and it being new fluid it is rather thick, it doesn't squeeze out between the synchro rings and the gear that easily, I would go back and ask them if that is what they did , and ask them to drain the trans and refill it with 20w-50w synthetic motor oil, it will shift much slicker, and easier . and protects the gears just as good as the heavier gear lube, manufacturers now use automatic transmission fluid in manual units because it allows for less friction and easier shifts
Not sure of the weight of the oil but that sounds about what I remember him saying was "called for".
I spoke to him this morning and will take it back on Tuesday night so he can have it Wednesday morning.
He said they may put a thinner oil in. I will ask about the 20w-50w synthetic.
Would the automatic trans oil be better? Or the 20w-50w motor oil?

Thanks for the info.

transfixer

Not sure of the weight of the oil but that sounds about what I remember him saying was "called for".
I spoke to him this morning and will take it back on Tuesday night so he can have it Wednesday morning.
He said they may put a thinner oil in. I will ask about the 20w-50w synthetic.
Would the automatic trans oil be better? Or the 20w-50w motor oil?

Thanks for the info.

it probably does call for 75-90w , but as Beretta mentioned when the unit gets some wear on it, they generally shift smoother and easier with motor oil, I wouldn't go so far as automatic transmission fluid, even though many manufacturers are doing that, I had a 87 toyota truck with a 5spd, and the first thing I did when I bought it was drain the gear lube and put in 20w50 synthetic motor oil, it shifted smooth and slick,

you'll probably even get slightly better fuel mileage running motor oil instead of gear lube, although it may not be enough to notice

even the 03 Harley Roadking I had was "supposed" to have gear lube in the trans, but even Harley recommended just using synthetic motor oil in the trans back then,

Doboy Dawg

Transfixer, what would be the recommended mileage change intervals using the 20w50 motor oil? I have a 02 Tacoma that I need to change the transmission lubricant in

transfixer

I've never paid much attention to the recommended change intervals on manual units, but I'd have no problem with running mine 50k minimum , in fact I run 20w50 in my transfer case on my 01 2500hd, and its been in there for right at 100k, just checked the level last oil change, still full, still clean

ucfireman

They said they used regular 80/90.
They said their Napa recommendation was 75W/90 full synthetic.
So they drained and refilled with the 75W/90 full synthetic.
I did ask about the 20W/50 motor oil and they said they didn't see any real issues but I would have to pay for that. The 75w/90 was no charge as I had already paid for that.
Anyway, it shifts a little better when cold. I'm hoping the main issue was the 30 and lower temps. It felt fine yesterday.
I figure I can always have it changed later or if I need to have the trans rebuilt. 271K miles.
Thanks everyone.

transfixer

They said they used regular 80/90.
They said their Napa recommendation was 75W/90 full synthetic.
So they drained and refilled with the 75W/90 full synthetic.
I did ask about the 20W/50 motor oil and they said they didn't see any real issues but I would have to pay for that. The 75w/90 was no charge as I had already paid for that.
Anyway, it shifts a little better when cold. I'm hoping the main issue was the 30 and lower temps. It felt fine yesterday.
I figure I can always have it changed later or if I need to have the trans rebuilt. 271K miles.
Thanks everyone.

I don't think you ever said, but I'm guessing this was a general repair shop and not a transmission shop ?

ucfireman

Yes, Snellville Auto center.
About the only place I use for real repairs. I used to do most of my own upkeep but that is starting to change.

transfixer

Yes, Snellville Auto center.
About the only place I use for real repairs. I used to do most of my own upkeep but that is starting to change.

When or if you decide to have someone check the whine you spoke of, go to a transmission shop that is familiar with manuals, and in this day and time some aren't ,, very , very few general repair shops understand transmissions and their inherent issues