Fished today

pottydoc

Well, we tried. We were gonna leave the house about 7:00, but had to deal with a couple of emergency calls before we left. I had the boat hooked to the truck when we pulled up at customer #2 house. Got to the ramp at the Pass at the crack of 9:30. Launched the boat and headed out. Typical run until we get to four miles from the first stop. The dang motor goes into safe mode, and slows down to 2000rpm. The oil warning light comes on, as I get the boat to idle, and we see oil pouring out from under the cowling. I shut the motor off, and we try to find out where it's coming from. Decide to start the engine back up to see if we could see any leaks. Uhh, nope, dang motor is seized. So we anchor the boat, call Sea Tow, and wait for them to come get us. They had to come from the marina at Port Saint Joe, and we were 20 miles out of Indian Pass. It was uneventful after that, we could move the flywheel by hand when we got home, but pretty sure the motor is probably history. It's a Johnsuzuki 225 that probably won't be worth fixing. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do if that's true, I'm not gonna put a new motor on my 2006 Sea Born.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Curious why you won't repower if the hull is sound?

I have a 2004 Angler I would repower in a heartbeat if the need arises.

pottydoc

Curious why you won't repower if the hull is sound?

I have a 2004 Angler I would repower in a heartbeat if the need arises.
No way I'd invest the cost of a new one that old. I'd get killed on resale, I was only going hang on to this one for another 5-6 months. I am gonna look for a used or rebuilt and see what I find. Probably try to find a rebuilt carbed 200-2225 two stroke and hang it.

pottydoc

Got an update on my motor. I talked to a buddy about my motor, he told me that some of the V6 Suzuki motors had an issue with holes rusting in the oil filter. I checked mine, and found a 1/4" hole rusted in it. It was right at the top of the threads. Installed a new one, put 6 Qt's of new oil in it, hooked it to the hose (through the flush fitting, no muffs on it) and turned the key. It started right up and I let in run for about 10 minutes or so until the water temp was creeping up towards being over heated, so I shut it off. I haven't put it the water yet, but I'm off all next week, so gonna go launch it one day next week when the weather doesn't suck. I'm gonna just tie up at the dock and let it run for 35-45 minutes. Our ramp will have very few if any other boats there, so I won't be holding any one up. It looks like the Safe mode did it's job. It did kinda irritate me to find out Suzuki knows about the issue, but hasn't done anything about it. The one that was in the boat was only 13 months old. You can bet I will be keeping an eye on it from now on. Got two spares in the dry box under the console already, and 2-8qt of oil.

dtala

sorry for your problem. I hate it when a major company knows about a potential problem and refuses to fix it. Ford is the worst.