Do pigs eat snakes?

Triple C

Does anyone know for certain if pigs eat snakes? On the south end of my property I have habitat that should be snake infested with wetlands n beaver ponds. Rest is in planted pine and hardwoods. In 10 years I've seen one copperhead - 0 water moccasins and 0 timber rattlers. I've sat next to a weedy, mucky beaver pond for hours over the years watching for water moccasins and never seen one. If you saw some of these areas you wouldn't step in to them without snake boots. I've seen my share of king snakes and black snakes but only one solitary copperhead in 10 years. Just wonder if the pigs eat the durn things.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Yes both ways. Hogs eat snakes, in other countries with large constrictors they eat hogs.

Triple C

If they eat the things then I guess that's an upside for having hogs. Only speculation on my part but I'm guessing non-poisonous snakes are to fast for hogs to walk up on cause I see my share of those. Maybe rattlers, moccasins n copperheads lay motionless and the hogs just walk up on em.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I’ve read that hogs are pretty resilent to venomous snake bite.

Hillbilly stalker

When I was a chap I saw my papaw sling a black snake over in the hog lot. They fought over that snake. So yeah, they definitely eat them. I have found that snake habitat and a hogs are often the same. Swampy, they eat moccasins, dry ground they root up old logs and get whatever’s there.

Last edited:

bullgator

I arrowed a 2 1/2’ moccasin I crossed paths with on my way back to a stand. I left the arrow in it since it was still alive and planned to retrieve it on the way out. When I got back to it a hog had eaten the entire snake from that arrow which was still stuck in the ground where I had shot it.

Mexican Squealer

Anybody ever seen a hog eat an onion? Neighbor of mine was a chef at a fine dining restaurant...he kept both domestic hogs and wild hogs he would feed out with the buckets of high end “slop” from the restaurant. We would laugh at how they would eat as fast as they could but would not eat an onion, no matter how well it was hidden or covered in other food. Always found that interesting.

treemanjohn

Banned
Anybody ever seen a hog eat an onion? Neighbor of mine was a chef at a fine dining restaurant...he kept both domestic hogs and wild hogs he would feed out with the buckets of high end “slop” from the restaurant. We would laugh at how they would eat as fast as they could but would not eat an onion, no matter how well it was hidden or covered in other food. Always found that interesting.
Onions are toxic to dogs maybe pigs know better

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Absolutely.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
If they eat the things then I guess that's an upside for having hogs. Only speculation on my part but I'm guessing non-poisonous snakes are to fast for hogs to walk up on cause I see my share of those. Maybe rattlers, moccasins n copperheads lay motionless and the hogs just walk up on em.

If a snake out runs a hawg into a hole in the ground, all bets are off.:p

fi8shmasty

Hogs are like turkeys. Anything they can get in thier mouth they will eat.
Except I guess onions.
?

Redbow

My Grandpa used to kill a Snake then sling it into the Hog pen. In a matter of just a few minutes no more dead Snake. I have seen Hogs pass up on cucumbers, eventually they ate them after the other food ran out..

Toliver

Ok, that's funny that you say that. My dad grew up on a farm. He HATES cucumbers. He always said, with expletives omitted, "Not even a hog will eat cucumbers and a hog will eat anything". I always just thought he was being dramatic to emphasize his disdain for said vegetable.

stonecreek

Use to raise hogs and would scoop up road kill snakes and chunk them in the pen. They would fight over them like cur dogs on a bone!