Doe wearing a collar

unclebrad

Just wondering if a doe I saw last weekend had a tracking collar from the DNR or someone, or if someone tried to make it a pet. It looks almost like a reflective dog collar.

1000003390.jpg

Toliver

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
Long time ago i hunted a piece of property near winterville ga. A nearby farmer had a fawn that he raised. This doe mostly stayed on his property but as she got older she started to hang out on our neighboring hunting property. He put a collar on her so we wouldn't shoot it. I saw her for two seasons. Later we found out she was hit by a car and died. The deer was very tame and would walk right up to my car as i got out to ready for the hunt. She would eat a carrot outa your hand. She once followed me to my stand. Shame that she had no fear of humans… for what that’s worth.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
It was in Jackson County. I have a video that shows it better, I will try to post it.
Videoed have to be embedded and u have to have a host sight That’s a good pic. I just know where sone are in SWGA. They are put on by regular folks and they run free.

Resica

Long time ago i hunted a piece of property near winterville ga. A nearby farmer had a fawn that he raised. This doe mostly stayed on his property but as she got older she started to hang out on our neighboring hunting property. He put a collar on her so we wouldn't shoot it. I saw her for two seasons. Later we found out she was hit by a car and died. The deer was very tame and would walk right up to my car as i got out to ready for the hunt. She would eat a carrot outa your hand. She once followed me to my stand. Shame that she had no fear of humans… for what that’s worth.
Thats why it's illegal to keep deer!

fullstrut

My lake place on Clarke's Hill has several collared deer. All does. They come from Elbert County Park. Let them go

BASS1FUN

Collars that are used for tracking looks nothing like that one, I saw one in Putnam county that had a collar and the one that DNR had on a deer was on the Flint River Wma

Toliver

That's not a tracking collar, probably raised by someone as a fawn illegally.
Just out of curiosity if you have any knowledge on the subject.... but the people who get wildlife rehabilitation permits and raise deer until old enough to release, are they allowed to release them with collars? Or would that be a no no in their rule book for holding the permit? I'm not sure what their cans and can'ts are when it comes to such things but I'm sure some get attached to their charges and might try to help ensure their safety once back in the wild .

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Just out of curiosity if you have any knowledge on the subject.... but the people who get wildlife rehabilitation permits and raise deer until old enough to release, are they allowed to release them with collars? Or would that be a no no in their rule book for holding the permit? I'm not sure what their cans and can'ts are when it comes to such things but I'm sure some get attached to their charges and might try to help ensure their safety once back in the wild .
I honestly don't know if it's prohibited. Wouldn't surprise me if some of them did that though.