Dog breed recommendations for an elderly relative

jdgator

I have an elderly relative who wants an indoor dog for companionship. My relative is in her early 80s.

She could walk a small or medium sized dog around the block twice a day, but she isn't going to be going on 2 mile runs. We agreed that after she can no longer take care of it I will adopt it. Hence, I get to have a say in the dog breed.

We discussed a Shihztu or Cocker Spaniel. Anybody have any thoughts to these or other breeds to consider?

Thanks!

Hillbilly stalker

S h i t z u s are great small dogs. Most are very friendly and outgoing, but not a wild thang. Cockers are risky, at one time they bit more kids than any other breed. My mother had 2 very friendly ones, she bred them. 7 out of the 9 pups bit someone. ****zus are hypoallergenic also if that’s a concern. I would stay with a smaller breed just so she can handle it if a cat or something was to jump out and start a race.

Toliver

****zus are great small dogs. Most are very friendly and outgoing, but not a wild thang. Cockers are risky, at one time they bit more kids than any other breed. My mother had 2 very friendly ones, she bred them. 7 out of the 9 pups bit someone. ****zus are hypoallergenic also if that’s a concern. I would stay with a smaller breed just so she can handle it if a cat or something was to jump out and start a race.
And Shih Tzu, too. :rofl:

Mini Schnauzer is a good, hypoallergenic (if that's needed) very low shed dog. Never really cared for them myself but someone gave my dad one that ended up being a really good little dog.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I've known several older folks (some in their 90's) that had no problems owning Shar-peis.

Big7

The Oracle
I just lost my Dachshund to old age and probably line breeding but they are very loving and attentive dogs.

They don't eat much or shed and they don't get dirty or stink. Mine never had any smell at all even in the summer.

They are not normally mean or vicious but they have a very keen sense of smell and they hear good too. Excellent little alarm dogs. They will let you know if someone walks up in the yard or if a car pulls up.

I get to attached to animals and I probably never will have any besides the ones I have left but if I was to get a new puppy and start all over, I'd get a Weenie Dog without a doubt or hesitation. 100%.

GeorgiaBob

Cavalier King Charles Spaniels are excellent in-home pets. They do like to get out and can be easily trained to walk, not pull, on a leash. They are loving, adorable, and cute. The breed generally is small, usually weighing 15 to 18 pounds when full grown. They have many of the traits of their larger spaniel cousins.

The one caution is that, like many "miniature" breeds, there are several potential health issues. If you pick a Cav be sure to check out the parents' health history.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Our parents had success with miniature poodles, terriers and fiests. A caution against a breed, Corgi. We bought one on a recommendation. They are a herding dog by nature and wasn’t hesitant in nipping. I finally gave the little guy to a rescue. Mom couldn’t handle him.

jcbcpa

Another vote for dachshunds. We have a miniature long hair and she is a very sweet and loving dog. She can be a little protective of my wife, it just depends on the person. Also, she can be a little moody if she doesn't get her way. But as someone said, she will let you know if somebody is coming around. She's a good little companion.

Dub

My experience with small dogs pretty much begins and ends with German Schnauzers.

My family has had the breed since I was 8 years old. I'm 55 now.

My parents still have one now.

My wife, son and I had three of our own....wife passed 2.5 years ago, son moved out 2 years ago, one of the Schnauzers passed a year ago leaving me and our 14 year old Schnauzer female at the house.

She and I have always been tight....and now, even more so.
Super smart and intuitive dog. She isn't as vocal as our others, but is clearly the smartest...and they each were very sharp.

So, in my 47 years of living with a Schnauzer (usually two) I can say they are awesome pets. They get locked in on their owners and view you as their job to take care of.

They are observant and will keep a watch on what goes on in the parts of the yard they can see....and they'll tell the news. Great watchdogs.

They are going to want to be wherever the owner is....same chair, same bed, same everywhere. Totally content when they can be at your side. Velcro dogs.

She will never feel alone with one in her house. Great companions.

Ours were each extremely easy to house train.

The three that have lived in my house were always allowed to roam the house when we were gone to work, school, etc. They'd keep watch an never messed up any of the furniture.

They also do well in crates, too.

The one concern I would have with an elderly person would be ensuring they didn't get tripped by the dog underfoot. The person will have to watch carefully as they walk around the house. They are going to have company at each step.

You are doing a great service to your 80 year old family member. There is a HUGE benefit to owning a good dog. Very uplifting and wonderful.

Much respect for you going into this open-minded.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
My experience with small dogs pretty much begins and ends with German Schnauzers.

My family has had the breed since I was 8 years old. I'm 55 now.

My parents still have one now.

My wife, son and I had three of our own....wife passed 2.5 years ago, son moved out 2 years ago, one of the Schnauzers passed a year ago leaving me and our 14 year old Schnauzer female at the house.

She and I have always been tight....and now, even more so.
Super smart and intuitive dog. She isn't as vocal as our others, but is clearly the smartest...and they each were very sharp.

So, in my 47 years of living with a Schnauzer (usually two) I can say they are awesome pets. They get locked in on their owners and view you as their job to take care of.

They are observant and will keep a watch on what goes on in the parts of the yard they can see....and they'll tell the news. Great watchdogs.

They are going to want to be wherever the owner is....same chair, same bed, same everywhere. Totally content when they can be at your side. Velcro dogs.

She will never feel alone with one in her house. Great companions.

Ours were each extremely easy to house train.

The three that have lived in my house were always allowed to roam the house when we were gone to work, school, etc. They'd keep watch an never messed up any of the furniture.

They also do well in crates, too.

The one concern I would have with an elderly person would be ensuring they didn't get tripped by the dog underfoot. The person will have to watch carefully as they walk around the house. They are going to have company at each step.

You are doing a great service to your 80 year old family member. There is a HUGE benefit to owning a good dog. Very uplifting and wonderful.

Much respect for you going into this open-minded.
This , I’ve had a schnauzer in my life for 30 plus years . Only downside that I can think of is that they have to be groomed . But I’ll trade grooming for dog hair on everything any day . I also have a little yorkie now that may be the most enjoyable pet I’ve ever owned .

Dub

This , I’ve had a schnauzer in my life for 30 plus years . Only downside that I can think of is that they have to be groomed . But I’ll trade grooming for dog hair on everything any day . I also have a little yorkie now that may be the most enjoyable pet I’ve ever owned .

Awesome. (y)(y)(y)

I completely forgot to mention that fact…..Schnauzers don’t shed.

They are super for people who otherwise have pet allergies. Zero problems.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Only thing about rescues are about half are there for all bad reasons (temperament, destructive behavior, anti social, etc.)

Labs, goldens, yorkies, bassets, short legged beagles, boston terriers, fiests, German shepherds, etc. Can all be great dogs, plus protective. I would even toss in the malinois or dutchie, training and socialization is key, plus no one will try to get in the house.

Key is proper training and accurate history of a rescue on any breed pick.

Also, in my experience, muts make some awesome companions too

Last edited:

bighonkinjeep

NOT a Codger spanial. High maintenance. Lots of haircuts brushing and grooming required. Ears and.eyes can also be a big problem. Hardheaded and really sassy.
Yup the one we rescued because a buddys rotties wouldnt get along with it was quite a handful.
Ill never have another.