Dumb person question for smart people #2

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
They live hundreds of years so the answer to your question is, Yes, easily. There are still trees around planted in the 1700s lining old plantation driveways.
I had a white oak on my farm that we dated 250 years .This was 2015.House was built in 1870.Some of the beams we had to tear out had 50 rings on them.They were 10"x 10" heart wood.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Lover’s Oak here in my hometown is estimated to be over 900 years old, and I’ve seen many live oaks that were just as impressive, if not more so out in the deer woods, possibly older. I’ve seen some mighty impressive cypress and pine trees as well.

Lover’s Oak

sinclair1

Lover’s Oak here in my hometown is estimated to be over 900 years old, and I’ve seen many live oaks that were just as impressive, if not more so out in the deer woods, possibly older. I’ve seen some mighty impressive cypress and pine trees as well.

Lover’s Oak
The one I took two pictures to get half of it was down your way at the St Simon’s square.

oldfella1962

The one I took two pictures to get half of it was down your way at the St Simon’s square.
When I first moved into my house about 20 years ago there was a huuuuuuge pine tree in the woods - or what used to be woods but is now houses - a few hundred yards from my house. The top was broken off, but the diameter of the tree was the biggest pine I have ever seen in Georgia.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
When I first moved into my house about 20 years ago there was a huuuuuuge pine tree in the woods - or what used to be woods but is now houses - a few hundred yards from my house. The top was broken off, but the diameter of the tree was the biggest pine I have ever seen in Georgia.
Biggest, most massive tree I’ve personally ever saw was a pine tree. Looked like something from the dinosaur age. It was truly a sight to behold. It was on a hill out in the middle of a massive river swamp I used to hunt. This was back in the early 90’s, and the last few times I saw it, it had been struck by lightning and was dying. Even one of the limbs that had fell off it was huge. Every time I went there to hunt, I spent time just walking around and staring at that special tree. I‘m not exaggerating at all, it was massive. I never took a pic of it, but wish I had done so. Walking across that big swamp to get out there to hunt was very rough, so I didn’t go very much. And I seriously doubt any other people have been over there to see it because it was so far out of the way. I wish I knew what type of pine it was and how old it may’ve been. I’ll never forget that tree.

basstrkr

Biggest, most massive tree I’ve personally ever saw was a pine tree. Looked like something from the dinosaur age. It was truly a sight to behold. It was on a hill out in the middle of a massive river swamp I used to hunt. This was back in the early 90’s, and the last few times I saw it, it had been struck by lightning and was dying. Even one of the limbs that had fell off it was huge. Every time I went there to hunt, I spent time just walking around and staring at that special tree. I‘m not exaggerating at all, it was massive. I never took a pic of it, but wish I had done so. Walking across that big swamp to get out there to hunt was very rough, so I didn’t go very much. And I seriously doubt any other people have been over there to see it because it was so far out of the way. I wish I knew what type of pine it was and how old it may’ve been. I’ll never forget that tree.
To my surprised I've recently learned that most of the large what we all called "swamp" pines are loblolly. They can grow up to 150 ft tall with a 5 ft diameter.