Eagle feathers

sinclair1

So some may remember my sister is the Eagle Lady who has cats that hang out with eagles. She has been on Steve Harvey etc.
It’s a shame we have the feather law. She has 100’s in the yard and thousands in town just sitting there not being utilized. Am I missing something about the point of the law? She has videos of over 500 eagles in one spot.

Hillbilly stalker

I believe Native Americans are the only ones that can legally possess them. She might check with a GW about that. If still legal, any local tribe could collect some for ceremonial purposes, art or Native American centers. I’m sure the law was enacted to help protect the Eagles. Any raptor or non migratory bird parts will get you in deep deep do do with Mr. Green Jeans. Saw it first hand with owl claws at Ft. Leavenworth.

sinclair1

I believe Native Americans are the only ones that can legally possess them. She might check with a GW about that. If still legal, any local tribe could collect some for ceremonial purposes, art or Native American centers. I’m sure the law was enacted to help protect the Eagles. Any raptor or non migratory bird parts will get you in deep deep do do with Mr. Green Jeans. Saw it first hand with owl claws at Ft. Leavenworth.
She said she couldn’t pick them up. The Aleut people may be able to have them.

Really is an odd law. Like all birds they molt and shed all their feathers. I could see the law not allowing you to have a beak or claws lol but the feathers?

In Alaska I’ve seen them in swarms like buzzards. There was at one time a bounty on Bald Eagles in Alaska.

sinclair1

Really is an odd law. Like all birds they molt and shed all their feathers. I could see the law not allowing you to have a beak or claws lol but the feathers?

In Alaska I’ve seen them in swarms like buzzards. There was at one time a bounty on Bald Eagles in Alaska.
That’s where my sister lives. Dutch Harbor and they swarm in the hundreds.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Not too awfully long ago South Carolina paid a bounty on hawks. I remember when it wasn`t against the law to shoot them either here in Georgia. The reason you can`t keep feathers you find is to stop folks from killing them and then claiming to have found the feathers. Card carrying Indians can have them and get them from some feather bank that the government controls. It`s a complicated thing and all feathers are accounted for somehow. Paperwork and all. It`s all federal. Don`t get caught with one.

I read a story some time back a guy that ran a Traditional bowhunting shop found and fletched some arrows with Bald Eagle feathers. He got in all kinds of trouble and lost his business if I remember correctly.
I guess it’s best to just leave em to the Indians lol

greg j

I believe even some songbird feathers are prohibited by our all knowing government. Some years ago a women gifted a "dream catcher" to Hilliary and got in all kinds of trbl because it had Blue Jay feathers in it.

Jeepnfish

I saw some blue Jay feathers in the woods yesterday. I started to bring them home for the wife, but left them where they were.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Don't know "much" about the eagle feathers, but I've got cousin that's a "Stomp Dancer" and wears a full "suit" of Blue Heron feathers.... Told me once that "IF I couldn't "prove" with out any suspicion of my family tree... my great.. great .. great grand kids could spend their life in prison because of me touching just one of the feathers I wear daily. Pretty sure it ain't that bad.. BUT "they" are REAL serious about possesing feathers of rare birds.

greg j

FEATHERS AND THE LAW
The possession of feathers and other parts of native North American birds without a permit is prohibited by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act (MBTA). This protects wild birds by preventing their killing by collectors and the commercial trade in their feathers, and extends to all feathers, regardless of how they were obtained. There is no exemption for molted feathers or those taken from road- or window-killed birds. More information on the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, and the list of MBTA-protected species can be found here.
Exceptions do exist for the feathers of legally-hunted waterfowl or other migratory gamebirds, and for the use of feathers by Native Americans. For more information, see the FAQ page.
Individuals or institutions wishing to use bird feathers, bones, or whole specimens for educational or research purposes must apply for permits from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and their state wildlife or natural resource agency. See here.
DISCLAIMER: Identifications based on the Feather atlas cannot be considered definitive unless confirmed by a qualified expert.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Once again the .Gov puts its stooopidity on display.

Wire Nut

It takes a long time to get a feather from the repository. They don’t even want you to pass the feather on to your children anymore

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
It takes a long time to get a feather from the repository. They don’t even want you to pass the feather on to your children anymore

Does it still come with all the paperwork that is supposed to be kept with it?

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
There's an Alice's Restaurant" type story in here somewhere.

Prisoner 1: What are you in for?

Prisoner 2: I picked up a feather that was laying on the ground.

Prisoner 1: *slides down the bench*