My wife needs GON's help. #CancerSucks

ArmyTaco

So many of you may not know, but I remarried in 2020, to the most amazing woman any man could ask for. Keep in mind I'm 35 and she's 32, but she's a professional, driven, caring, generous, gorgeous, woman who can cook like momma, and bake like your granny.

A little back story on her situation...her dad retired from the prison, and can be a bit of Richard. They had a falling out due to her living her life as she saw fit, vs his way. Honestly I think the fact she left town, was her own person, and all that (amongst a couple other things I'm not getting into), really got to him. You can tell he spent 30yrs running a prison and thinks at times, what he says, still trumps all. I tried to reach out and got told me and him never had another reason to speak to each other. I sat by until my wife asked me to, so I didn't put myself in the middle.

They talked here and there over these past 2 years, but he was too stubborn to apologize. Well he'd been having back pain and after months of trying to track down the issue and it being blown off, it ended up being a tumor that came back as cancer. He's 54yo, never smoked, worked out, and was just a shock.

Naturally this crushed my wife, and I got to sit there helpless, watching my wife's world fall apart after hearing her dad, which is probably every daughter's hero (to a point), has cancer. He needed help splitting wood and a couple folks bailed, so we drive up and knocked it out. As bad as I disliked this man, seeing him trying to work and not be able to killed me.

Well of course things get worse, and after tests, they find out the cancer is stage 3/4, is in his hips, bones, prostate, stomach, and his brain. I'm choking up typing this because all I can think about is Joslyn trying to stay positive, while realistically, he's not going to live more than another year or so at best. It's going to destroy her when that day comes. War taught me how to turn cold to so much, to the point it becomes a fault at times. The one person that can get around those walls, is my wife Joslyn. As much as I want to be cold right now, it's killing me to watch her. Her dad has been humbled and they talk multiple times a day now, which is great to see.

Now the reason for the post, he started chemo/radiation this week. He's retired but worked a full time job as they were preparing for life after full retirement, so they've used a lot of that income to renovate their house, put in a pool, etc. Steve (Joslyn's dad) and his wife have bills his retirement and her check won't cover now. He's selling everything he can, so Jan isn't left with tons of debt, and he can make it by until disability goes through after he had to quit his job.

This Friday, the Pickled Okra in Forsyth, GA is holding a benefit for him to raise money. My wife being who she is, wanted to raise him $500 by Friday. Well she hit that and is now going for $1000 by Friday, and hopes to keep being able to give him money to help. She's put up a GoFundMe as well as posted Venmo, Cashapp, PayPal names.

I've been in and out of here for years, and many of the older regulars will remember. I hate to post asking for donations, because I don't want to bum off others, but for my wife, I'd go stand on a corner in Macon to raise money if I needed.

More details in the GFM.

https://gofund.me/26016433

PayPal please send friends and family
https://www.paypal.me/McCrary719

Venmo is Joslyn-McCrary-2

Thanks for your time everyone. #cancersucks20220409_210412.jpg

TheWildLife

Really sorry to hear this. Steve was at my place a couple of months ago and told me he was having some issues and pain while walking. If I remember correctly, they were thinking it was a prostate problem then. Is the benefit an all day event or Friday night?

OwlRNothing

I don't usually give money to strangers, but this is obviously a legit need and the love you have for your wife is so commendable and rare. I'll send what I can and pray for you all as well.
Praying for a miraculous full recovery for Dad and peace for your wife and family, and for you brother.

Last edited:

TheWildLife

I'm not gonna ask that you send money, that's your call, but this is indeed a legitimate ordeal. Please send all the prayers you can for this family. I first met Steve over 20 years ago. His sister and my wife started a Girl Scout troop for my daughter and his niece. Since he retired, I've had the pleasure of working with him multiple times for work needed at job sites and my house (He works for a tree removal company). I've got close friends that grew up with him and this is a severe blow to the local community and friends.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Prayers for you all.

Dub

Prayers sent for your family.

Cancer is horrible.

I wish I could get my hands around cancer's throat. I'd choke it to death and then set it afire.

It has devastated so many families.

Imagine if all the money that went into the fight against covid had been spent on cancer instead.

bany

Prayers!