Early, Miller and Seminole Counties

Status
Not open for further replies.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Our vacancies are going fast. We're down to two now.
We had an area clearcut this past year, already replanted. Amazing to see how fast those little pines are growing. Bet they've grown a foot in the last month. By season, should be chest or head high. Can't wait, that's a bedding and feeding area that a food plot can't compete with. Soon as this cool weather is gone, we're putting in peanut food plots, and maybe some iron clay peas. Suround farming feeds our game very well, but we like to feed em within our boundries too. Shucks, I've already enjoyed a couple collard meals from collards growing in a couple of our plots. If I could eat the wheat, oats and rye, it would be on the stove too.

I'm going to be after another buck just like this next season. Already seen him couple weeks ago while turkey hunting. He walked right across a field in front of me. Wider rack and huge. There's several nice bucks on our hit list, we have the pictures, just gotta see 'um.

003-7.jpg

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Still bragging on this one from two seasons ago.

Attachments

• 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 251

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
No, not the Babcock. I'm in Miller/Early Counties. The county line splits our two adjoining leases.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Hadn't been turkey hunting since last saturday. Needed to go to camp and help a feller out, and pull some ladderstands because of a thinning coming up. Left early to do some hunting at sunup. Gobble just before flydown time. I called a bit and shutup. That's when my usual luck for this season kicked in. Noticed a feller running all around the field with a golfcart. So, I kicked back and took a short nap before going to camp. Yep, that golfcart ruined my chances of the bird coming over where I was. I believe a dozen of those skeeters would be enough to make a meal, but they don't look good enough to eat.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Went turkeying this morning. Worked two gobblers, but they would never come on in. Enjoyed it anyway. Best part, didn't have to clean one. And I get to work with em again another day. If this keeps up, I'll have to go back to bragging on last years birds.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Lazied out this morning and went back to bed. Bet those gobblers are glad... lol

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Measured. This is my only bird for this season so far.

001-68.jpg

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Measured for the record

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 197

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Up at 5, in the swamp before day, four gobblers hammering away. Called one in to about 30 yards. It was a show gobbling every step. Beard was thick but too short, let him go. This gobbler was hot, as he left, he gobbled out of hearing. He never strutted to let me check his fan to see if he was mature, nor could I ever see his spurs due to high grass. I'm thinking he was a mature bird though, but that's OK, he may come around again, and let me check him out a little closer. Second gobbler was on his way, gobbling, then at about 100 yards he shutup. Something must have spooked him. Never saw him, nor did the others come around. All in all, a great morning. Anytime I get to listen to four gobblers sound off, and have one come in to give a show. It was a successful hunt.

Last edited:

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Received a much needed 1/2 inch of rain here at Lake Seminole today. Watching radar, it appeared to be more than 1/2 inch north of us in Early and Miller counties.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Turkey hunting this morning. Had a gobbler coming, gobbling his head off. At about 50 yards a huge oak came down right where the turkey was. He flushed to about 100 yards. When he gobbled again, I clucked a time or two and here he came again. That's when a hen came by me, went to the gobbler. And that was the end of the hunt. I did get to watch him strut for over 2 hours, but he wouldn't leave the hen. They finally went on off. Seems I'm snakebit this season. If it isn't people running em off, it's nature.

maxwell42583

Turkey hunting this morning. Had a gobbler coming, gobbling his head off. At about 50 yards a huge oak came down right where the turkey was. He flushed to about 100 yards. When he gobbled again, I clucked a time or two and here he came again. That's when a hen came by me, went to the gobbler. And that was the end of the hunt. I did get to watch him strut for over 2 hours, but he wouldn't leave the hen. They finally went on off. Seems I'm snakebit this season. If it isn't people running em off, it's nature.

I am with you. Between poachers, rain, wind, wife, and my new baby girl.... turkey hunting has been a tough sport this year!!! tomorrow morning my buddy and I will be in Miller, and it is his turn to call for me since I called him a bird last week. Tomorrow morning is my morning to kill a Thunder Chicken!

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Our club is a pin in club. First come gets choice of area. Got there this morning and my spot was taken. No problem, I went and setup in the next pasture and listened to the hunt. Gobbled his head off, but the other feller didn't get him either. Tough bird, crazy bird, but it's kept him from getting shot so far. I got to watch a boar coon, coopers hawk after squirrels, crows and some tweety birds. Great morning, enjoyed it.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Two of at camp this morning. Neither knew where a gobbler was roosting, so going out was just another shot in the dark. Daylight, one began gobbling, neither of us were in a position to move on him before he flew down. On the ground he went silent and wouldn't come. Turkeys win again. We've decided there might be two mature gobblers coming on the property, and several jakes. We pass on the jakes, so it's down to two to hunt. Neither responds to calling, and spend much of their time off property. Considering the cost of gas, getting up early etc... it just isn't worth the effort. But we go anyway because we love being in the woods.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Our club presently has two openings. PM if interested.

Too windy for me to go turkey hunting this morning, so stayed home. Heard one gobbling yesterday, and saw two big bucks that had shed, with new antler growth barely visible already. Another 1 inch of rain yesterday really put some water in the woods, we're almost back to full ponds again. Mayhaws are ripening, saw some red one's yesterday.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Another windy day, cool too. It was 51 this morning and still 58 at noon. Tomorrow might be even colder. Hope the garden makes it. This weather has already messed up some of the fruit trees.
Can't even go fishing.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Working on food plots tomorrow. Preparing em for corn, peanuts and sorgum, maybe some iron clay peas too.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Got the plots mowed, going to give em at least a week. After the next rain we will be planting peanuts, sorgum and corn. First thing this morning, had three does almost walk right into me. My working partner saw several does from the tractor, and one nice buck.

Status
Not open for further replies.