Early Season PSA

ssramage

With bow season starting next weekend, I finally got a break in the rain so I had one of my most important prep items to get done today. Sprayed all of my early season camo and boots down with Permethrin. For those that haven't, or don't do it, I would highly recommend getting you a bottle and treating your camo.

Shopping list:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007TA5QNA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/Itisll-Manua...d=1662408266&sprefix=pump+spr,aps,104&sr=8-16

In a 1/2 gallon sprayer, I'll put about 2oz of permethrin concentrate and fill the rest with water. Spray the clothes until they're soaking wet and let them air dry. Repeat if you feel like it. I usually apply before turkey season and before bow season. I don't know exactly how long it lasts, but I don't see ticks.

This is a much cheaper, and I believe more effective, alternative to Sawyer's. For reference, I just checked my Amazon and I purchased my permethrin in 2020. I just finished the bottle.
IMG_5499.jpg

RedFoxx

will that permethrin work for soaking the thermacell used blue things in.. I can refill the butane cartridges but need to re-use the blue pads.. Will this work for that or is there something better.

Stevie Ray

Not to be the bearer of bad news but the Permethrin linked in the OP's thread isn't labeled for use on clothing or on the skin, it's a concentrated formula for ag use...

'You may be tempted to purchase permethrin pesticide (or related chemicals) meant for agricultural uses and dilute it down to a concentration of 0.52 percent, the industry standard for clothing. Not only is that illegal but it’s also risky, because you could make a mistake and end up with the wrong concentration. And there’s no guarantee it will work as well, Mather says, because the permethrin products meant for clothes are formulated with ingredients that help it stick to fabric. The agricultural products may not have those ingredients.'

I've actually use Tengard for around the property and that product's label strongly prohibits using it on clothing or on your person.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Not to be the bearer of bad news but the Permethrin linked in the OP's thread isn't labeled for use on clothing or on the skin, it's a concentrated formula for ag use...

'You may be tempted to purchase permethrin pesticide (or related chemicals) meant for agricultural uses and dilute it down to a concentration of 0.52 percent, the industry standard for clothing. Not only is that illegal but it’s also risky, because you could make a mistake and end up with the wrong concentration. And there’s no guarantee it will work as well, Mather says, because the permethrin products meant for clothes are formulated with ingredients that help it stick to fabric. The agricultural products may not have those ingredients.'

I've actually use Tengard for around the property and that product's label strongly prohibits using it on clothing or on your person.
I’ve used it for many years !

2dye4

will that permethrin work for soaking the thermacell used blue things in.. I can refill the butane cartridges but need to re-use the blue pads.. Will this work for that or is there something better.
Yes it does. That is exactly how I do mine.

ssramage

Illegal?

There are plenty of resources available on the web with the exact dilution formula. It's a pretty simple math equation. I've been doing it for YEARS with fine results. Seeing as how the site you linked is a company trying to sell one of the high dollar permethrin products, I think I'll trust my experience vs the marketing team at that company.

Stevie Ray

Illegal?

There are plenty of resources available on the web with the exact dilution formula. It's a pretty simple math equation. I've been doing it for YEARS with fine results. Seeing as how the site you linked is a company trying to sell one of the high dollar permethrin products, I think I'll trust my experience vs the marketing team at that company.

Did you read the label for the Durvet Permethrin 10% product you linked? It states right on the warning label "Do not get on skin or clothing."

I'm as anti government overreach and corporate America as the next guy but in my business and a holder of restricted use pesticide licenses in several states I can absolutely assure you if I get caught applying a pesticide in any manner outside of what the label states I can get in a whole lot of trouble so when it comes to pesticides I have a tendency to read the label more than the average consumer.

I'm not telling you or anybody to not use this product in any manner they desire, that's none of my business and if it works, it works and that's great. I'm just merely pointing out that the product you linked is not labeled for use on clothing.

Merry Christmas!

ssramage

Did you read the label for the Durvet Permethrin 10% product you linked? It states right on the warning label "Do not get on skin or clothing."

I'm as anti government overreach and corporate America as the next guy but in my business and a holder of restricted use pesticide licenses in several states I can absolutely assure you if I get caught applying a pesticide in any manner outside of what the label states I can get in a whole lot of trouble so when it comes to pesticides I have a tendency to read the label more than the average consumer.

I'm not telling you or anybody to not use this product in any manner they desire, that's none of my business and if it works, it works and that's great. I'm just merely pointing out that the product you linked is not labeled for use on clothing.

Merry Christmas!

Sawyer permethrin says the same thing...

Stevie Ray

Sawyer permethrin says the same thing...

I believe you are misreading the label, Sawyer is absolutely labeled for clothing. Sawyer is not labeled to be applied to clothing while the person is wearing the clothing....

https://fleascience.com/wp-content/...ermethrin-Clothing-Insect-Repellent-Spray.pdf

"DIRECTIONS FOR USE

It is a violation of Federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling.

SHAKE WELL BEFORE USING. Do not transfer to another container. To Repel & Kill mosquitoes, chiggers, mites and ticks, including ticks which carry Lyme Disease and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. This product must not be applied to clothing while it is being worn. Under no circumstances should bare skin or clothing on the body be treated. Do not spray directly on or otherwise allow to come in contact with skin, face, or eyes. This product is to be used as a clothing treatment only. In case of accidental spraying of skin, face, or eyes, see “First Aid” on side panel. Make all applications outdoors.
Activate pump 5-10 times to spray. Completely remove pump top, use just enough repellent to cover clothing, recharging pump as needed."