Easter

WaltL1

Not sure what the appropriate word here is...Happy? Easter to our Christian friends (and everybody else). I'll be scarfing down Ravioli, sausage & peppers, ham etc. with family & friends......... better get the Alka Seltzer ready.
Just wanted to acknowledge the importance of Easter for the Believers.

oldfella1962

Not sure what the appropriate word here is...Happy? Easter to our Christian friends (and everybody else). I'll be scarfing down Ravioli, sausage & peppers, ham etc. with family & friends......... better get the Alka Seltzer ready.
Just wanted to acknowledge the importance of Easter for the Believers.
Yeah! Sausage & peppers & onions in marinara sauce over penne? :)

WaltL1

Yeah! Sausage & peppers & onions in marinara sauce over penne? :)
No penne because we had ravioli. There is sausage in the gravy and also fried some sausage on the side with peppers and onions. And about 6 tons of garlic in everything possible. And I ate about a dozen fried rice meatballs. I was burping garlic for 3 days.
Mangia !
By the way how are you doing?

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Now that Easter has passed, hopefully waiting a little to ask it will take the sting out of it...

Xmas "Jesus Birthday" is Dec 25 every year.
How can the day that Jesus died and the day Jesus arose vary up to a month when recognized?

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Now that Easter has passed, hopefully waiting a little to ask it will take the sting out of it...

How can the day that Jesus died and the day Jesus arose vary up to a month when recognized?
I’m far from a religous historian but I’ll share what I been taught. Sometime in the second century religous scholars began trying to determine when Christ was born. Their studies led them to a belief Christ was conceived and crucified on the same date, March 25th. Hence, the birth date nine months later.

Early churches determined Easter by use of a Julian Calendar, your marking the date on Gregorian calendar which track the lunar cycles differently, so the date moves.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I’m far from a religous historian but I’ll share what I been taught. Sometime in the second century religous scholars began trying to determine when Christ was born. Their studies led them to a belief Christ was conceived and crucified on the same date, March 25th. Hence, the birth date nine months later.

Early churches determined Easter by use of a Julian Calendar, your marking the date on Gregorian calendar which track the lunar cycles differently, so the date moves.
Yes, I understand that.
And I also understand that using the same Gregorian calendar, other holidays or days of importance are all on the same date. Granted the day of the week will change, but the day/date remains constant.

For example: Christmas, like everyone's birthday, is always on the same numerical day of the same month. Dec 25th is that day. That date could fall on any day of the week from Sunday to Saturday, but the numbered day is the numbered day.
Easter, is never on the same numerical day or date. Using that March 25th date theory should still make March 25th THE day. But it doesn't. This year Easter was on March 31st. Next year Easter will be on April 20th.
So basically it was decided to keep the Jewish tradition of Passover using varying dates because of the moon, but incorporate it into having the Christian story of Jesus's death just so the ceremonial death on a Friday and rise on a Sunday can be observed on Fridays and Sundays every year rather than the date falling on random days. More symbolic than accurate.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Yes, I understand that.
And I also understand that using the same Gregorian calendar, other holidays or days of importance are all on the same date. Granted the day of the week will change, but the day/date remains constant.

For example: Christmas, like everyone's birthday, is always on the same numerical day of the same month. Dec 25th is that day. That date could fall on any day of the week from Sunday to Saturday, but the numbered day is the numbered day.
Easter, is never on the same numerical day or date. Using that March 25th date theory should still make March 25th THE day. But it doesn't. This year Easter was on March 31st. Next year Easter will be on April 20th.
So basically it was decided to keep the Jewish tradition of Passover using varying dates because of the moon, but incorporate it into having the Christian story of Jesus's death just so the ceremonial death on a Friday and rise on a Sunday can be observed on Fridays and Sundays every year rather than the date falling on random days. More symbolic than accurate.
You said it well, I think variance between the calendars is about half a month will continue to grow just by the design difference.

WaltL1

Yes, I understand that.

More symbolic than accurate.
My opinion is that ^ covers a whole range of things when it comes to organized religion.

oldfella1962

No penne because we had ravioli. There is sausage in the gravy and also fried some sausage on the side with peppers and onions. And about 6 tons of garlic in everything possible. And I ate about a dozen fried rice meatballs. I was burping garlic for 3 days.
Mangia !
Thanks for asking. I'm very busy! My wife was home from the specialty care hospital a little over 24 hours when she had a medical emergency at home (nearly died again!) because of some insulin problems. It's a long story, but it was a communication problem because I was hustled out of the specialty hospital because my referral extension was about to expire. :cautious: So now she's back in the military hospital and about to be transferred to a physical rehabilitation hospital (two blocks from the specialty hospital) once the referrals get straightened out and approved. Then, she will be transferred back home, where I will resume the home care. EVENTUALLY she will be walking again and pretty much doing everything she did prior to the initial ICU crisis in early February.

oldfella1962

Since the Bible has no actual, definite dates on anything, "church tradition" just chooses dates for the purposes of everyone being on the same page when observing these holidays.

WaltL1

Thanks for asking. I'm very busy! My wife was home from the specialty care hospital a little over 24 hours when she had a medical emergency at home (nearly died again!) because of some insulin problems. It's a long story, but it was a communication problem because I was hustled out of the specialty hospital because my referral extension was about to expire. :cautious: So now she's back in the military hospital and about to be transferred to a physical rehabilitation hospital (two blocks from the specialty hospital) once the referrals get straightened out and approved. Then, she will be transferred back home, where I will resume the home care. EVENTUALLY she will be walking again and pretty much doing everything she did prior to the initial ICU crisis in early February.
Sounds super stressful but sounds like you are handling it well. Its all the dang red tape that makes things 100X more difficult. I get so frustrated with the VA sometimes that I just want to crawl through the phone and ring somebodys neck.
Anyway, keep up the good fight and thoughts are with you and your wife.

ambush80

Mangia !
What's this?

WaltL1

What's this?
Well we refer to them as meatballs but they are actually patties.
Cooked rice, hamburger, Italian bread crumbs, eggs, garlic, more garlic, parsley, salt & pepper, garlic.....
Mix it all up, form patties, fry in evoo to a golden brown.
They have been a standard appetizer of ours for generations.

oldfella1962

Sounds super stressful but sounds like you are handling it well. Its all the dang red tape that makes things 100X more difficult. I get so frustrated with the VA sometimes that I just want to crawl through the phone and ring somebodys neck.
Anyway, keep up the good fight and thoughts are with you and your wife.
Thank you. Luckily, I have very few dealings with the VA but the one I go to is good. In theory a vet is a vet is a vet, so every VA location should be good, but that is not the case. As for my stress, I'm going to put any personal stressful distractions on the back burner, so I can emotionally support my wife through her intense three-hours per day (minimum) of physical & occupational therapy that begins today. Family members are encouraged to visit all day long, but we can't interfere of course. Considering the experts have many decades worth of experience between them and I have zero experience, I will be a fly on the wall until she is done for the day and kicking back in her room watching TV.