Electric Heat Pump w/Natural Gas Backup - Opinions?

Oldstick

This subject was on my mind today, so I thought I would run it by all the HVAC pro's on here. Electric heat pump is working fine, thankfully, but I know it is a matter of time before the compressor quits, being 18 years old. It has been maintained and repaired all these years, but now anything major, would be the end of its life as far as I'm concerned. So for future reference, do heat pump units exist that use city gas for backup heat instead of electric heat strips? And if so what is the general opinion and cost issues for use in the reasonably mild winters of middle GA?

There is already a gas line next to where the fan/furnace is located which powers our water heater, so I assume only a tee and a new connection would be needed. Do you have to light a pilot every winter, or do they have auto-electric ignition? That would be a consideration for us as well.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I am not familiar with a heat pump that uses gas for emergency heat.

The gas furnace with ac is very commonly used.

Maybe you could consider putting an infrared space heater to supplement the heat pump

Last edited:

Oldstick

OK, ya'll have my curiosity up. Electric cooling, with straight gas for heating. How does that compare cost-wise vs. electric only heat pump in our area?

Cmp1

BANNED
The problem with heat pumps is they break Alot and you can generally get more efficient operation from sep heat and cooling,,,,

Cmp1

BANNED
Do some research on high efficiency furnaces and AC units,,,,get the highest effiency AC you can,,,,as little as you use heat there,maybe a 90 percent furnace would be good,would recoup your money on the AC unit,,,,

Jim Baker

Staff member
OK, ya'll have my curiosity up. Electric cooling, with straight gas for heating. How does that compare cost-wise vs. electric only heat pump in our area?

I have a 2 story home. Had Heat Pumps units. One upstairs, one downstairs. Still have HP upstairs but put in straight gas downstairs about 10 years ago.

On less than freezing nights I can heat the whole house with the downstairs gas unit by turning the fan on in the upstairs unit to pull warm air from downstairs to upstairs. On the coldest nights the heat strips up stairs never come on because of the migrating heat from down stairs.

Overall heat bill probably dropped 10% or more. I am pretty sure the dual fuel units are more expensive than straight gas units.

Beleive me it is worth looking into.

Oldstick

Thanks very much ya'll please keep the comments coming. I am assuming when ya'll are referring to straight gas units, it is still only one inside unit containing the AC coils for summer and gas furnace for winter? As opposed to having two separate units inside the house.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Thanks very much ya'll please keep the comments coming. I am assuming when ya'll are referring to straight gas units, it is still only one inside unit containing the AC coils for summer and gas furnace for winter? As opposed to having two separate units inside the house.

Correct. One air handler that has ac coil and burner.

Be sure to put a thermostat with automatic switching from heat to cooling and vice versa. Most newer ones are like this.

Oldstick

Correct. One air handler that has ac coil and burner.

Be sure to put a thermostat with automatic switching from heat to cooling and vice versa. Most newer ones are like this.

Thanks Milkman. That is exactly the reason this subject is on my mind recently. I had to replace the wall thermostat the other day and the new one does have automatic switching capability. Plus the software and wiring is configurable to handle most any combination of inside and outside units.

ribber

I have outdoor AC unit and natural gas furnace/air handler downstairs. The gas heat really warms the house, but I am going total electric in a couple of years unless something major breaks before then.

Few things I don't like about natural gas:

Very dry heat. Wreaks havoc on my sinuses.

Monthly service cost plus keeping pilot light lit is $45ish minimum year round. The furnace is the only gas appliance I have. So, I'm paying $45 a month in the summer on top of a $3-400 electric bill.

Gas pricing fluctuates. I've had it 22 years and have seen the good and bad, like $400 gas bill bad.

Everyone's situation is different, but just things to ponder.

Jim Baker

Staff member
I have outdoor AC unit and natural gas furnace/air handler downstairs. The gas heat really warms the house, but I am going total electric in a couple of years unless something major breaks before then.

Few things I don't like about natural gas:

Very dry heat. Wreaks havoc on my sinuses.

Monthly service cost plus keeping pilot light lit is $45ish minimum year round. The furnace is the only gas appliance I have. So, I'm paying $45 a month in the summer on top of a $3-400 electric bill.

Gas pricing fluctuates. I've had it 22 years and have seen the good and bad, like $400 gas bill bad.

Everyone's situation is different, but just things to ponder.

Units don't have pilot lights anymore. Everything is electronic. My gas bill for 2600 ft. runs around $250 in winter months. $!5.00 spring summer and fall to run tankless water heater. Don't know why your pilot light would cost $45 per month.

Cmp1

BANNED
Units don't have pilot lights anymore. Everything is electronic. My gas bill for 2600 ft. runs around $250 in winter months. $!5.00 spring summer and fall to run tankless water heater. Don't know why your pilot light would cost $45 per month.
Unless he's got an old furn,,,,but a pilot wouldn't be 45mo unless he's talking meter fee Inc,,,,

ribber

Couldn't find my most recent bill, but here is the bill from August. The furnace is all I have and hasn't run since March-April. And it is an old style furnace that was installed in the 1980s. Scana is the provider and there are no known leaks. I had a leak once and it was very obvious, sulfur smell.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 15

Jim Baker

Staff member
Couldn't find my most recent bill, but here is the bill from August. The furnace is all I have and hasn't run since March-April. And it is an old style furnace that was installed in the 1980s. Scana is the provider and there are no known leaks. I had a leak once and it was very obvious, sulfur smell.

OUCH! Those fees are ridiculous. Still the 21.54 seems a lot for just a pilot light.

My gas bill when only the tankless water heater consumes gas runs from $14 to $18 from April through Sept.

ribber

Scana provides the gas and Atlanta Gas Light services the equipment. I have not been pleased with either company (couple of stories I could tell on them). My bill was cheaper before the Natural Gas industry 'deregulated' several years ago, and I had gas water heater and dryer back then.
I have also been told that 10 Therms for that old style pilot light is normal.

I know there are better options for my furnace, but I don't want to be tied to Scana/AGL in any way.